The Athletic not doing well

6 minutes ago, Darnold Schwarzenegger said:

I'd disagree 1 million times. Clay travis single handedly brought us college football last year. Agree or disagree with his opinions if you want. But he calls it how he sees it.

And Clay travis has nothing to do with the fact that the athletic is hemmoraging money. They have been in a bad spot for a long time. 

I subscribed there in there inception. What a waste of 100 bucks lol.

How did he single handedly bring us college football last year?  Legit question.  I just don't follow college that closely and now I'm curious.

• Upvote 3

12 minutes ago, Darnold Schwarzenegger said:

Well last year when covid scared people only the sec committed to playing out the season.

Big ten and a few other conferences (pac 12) canceled all there games.

Clay travis brokered a phone call with Kevin Warren ( commissioner of the big 10) and Donald Trump and they basically convinced the big 10 commisioner to play football. 

That's from memory. Here is a quick article I googled for u

https://barrettsportsmedia.com/2020/09/02/clay-travis-set-up-call-from-donald-trump-to-big-10-commissioner/

That's pretty cool.  Thank you.

I'd disagree 1 million times. Clay travis single handedly brought us college football last year. Agree or disagree with his opinions if you want. But he calls it how he sees it.
And Clay travis has nothing to do with the fact that the athletic is hemmoraging money. They have been in a bad spot for a long time. 
I subscribed there in there inception. What a waste of 100 bucks lol.

The Athletic isn’t worth the cost, but let’s not pretend that Clay Travis brought back college football.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 2
  • WTF? 1

34 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

Good. 

Pretentious dickheads who think that in that in the era of the internet the likes of Connor Hughes has something so insightful to say that people pay for it. Glad that business model is failing as anyone with a clue could tell it would.

Yeah, I think the problem with The Athletic is summed up well by the fact that no one has ever felt compelled to share a Connor Hughes column on here. If you’re going to offer a pay service, you have to provide better coverage than Brian Costello does, and Hughes seems pretty happy to just do about the same as Costello.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 2

200 million ? How does a group of writers lose that kind of cash when there is no distribution ??? The internet does not hold the overhead as newspaper distribution.

I wonder if the writers are flying coach because outside of travel i cant see where the dollars went.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, Maxman said:

Google and Facebook invented something.

The athletic isn't doing anything new. They are trying to reinvent something but the odds are against them.

They also provide products that the entire world is interested in, all people, not just a small segment of the worlds population.

Im not an Athletic subscriber but I do find the content that I do get my hands of added value to what you see from other outlets. For example, Connor's stuff is much better researched and thought out than anything Costello or DJ are putting out. I see the same thing in other sports and even countries (in the case of soccer), where you see them breaking stories that then other outlets (that can barely afford to cover stuff properly) just echo chamber. 

The issue as I see it for their business model is that the tools they need to draw folks in like the social media handles of their journalists, podcasts and live streams tend to give away the gist of their content and are free and often easier to digest.

So I appreciate that someone is paying to staff proper coverage I just don't know if it's sustainable...

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Pichula said:

Wtf how does the athletic spend that much money?

Huge salaries - They basically poached the top sports writers from major publications - Certainly in the UK they did. 

They're also aggressively trying to expand into the US so imagine they're investing a lot into that. 

The Athletic’s soccer coverage is second to none. Dane Brugler is excellent Draft info and gives a really great draft guide as a part of the subscription. I really like the Athletic and  Conor Hughes is writing better stuff than most other beat writers. The Athletic has broken big stories the past few years too. It’s a good service worth a subscription. 

• Upvote 4

7 hours ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

I think it is a great read if you love sports.  It certainly puts NY talk radio to shame.  The Athletic is like a Mensa meeting and the Fan is like a bar of drunks at 2 am.  Night and day.

Agree.  I love The Athletic.  It’s great having so many solid journalists in one place.  I’d hate to see them all go open their own subscription websites (like Matt Miller or Greg Bedard).

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

Huge salaries - They basically poached the top sports writers from major publications - Certainly in the UK they did. 

They're also aggressively trying to expand into the US so imagine they're investing a lot into that. 

i think that was their strategy....overpay all of the highly regarded writers they could find in hopes to put a "better product" out there. its not an uncommon strategy...but

1. it rarely works

and

2. the paywall sportswriter thing is a futile enterprise

people will pay for onlyfans, they are not paying for a mock draft when they can find 1000 other ones, or for an analysis of an injury report that 10 other writers are tweeting out free.

1 hour ago, Matt39 said:

The only thing the Athletic gives you is McGinns pre draft report, which is really good. Everything else is the same as the free stuff you can find.

Mike Sando’s weekly columns that include quotes from anonymous front office people (like his QB tiers) and Dane Brugler’s draft content are also great.

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

The Athletic’s soccer coverage is second to none. Dane Brugler is excellent Draft info and gives a really great draft guide as a part of the subscription. I really like the Athletic and  Conor Hughes is writing better stuff than most other beat writers. The Athletic has broken big stories the past few years too. It’s a good service worth a subscription. 

I agree.  Their content is good and have some insightful writers over there.  The problem is that there is so much free content out there that it’s hard to justify paying for their stuff.   I have a subscription, I think it’s only $2.99 a month, but I know A LOT of people who simply won’t pay anything for these types of services just out of principle and the sheer amount of other free content.   

I do wonder how many subscribers they would need and at what monthly price to become profitable, and then compare that to if they went to free content and monetized it with advertising.  

• Upvote 1