One day the Braxton Berrios type of player will not be on this team

2 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

In 2021 he was excellent in this category, hence why he was an All-Pro, but in ‘22 he strangely turned into Fair Catchy McGee.  

Timeline you state coincided with him being on a reality tv show with his girlfriend.

kind of like the kardashian curse. Every athlete they touch goes to sh-t

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, jamesr said:

The original premise of the thread was that we shouldn't have JAG level players like Berrios on the team. 

Have you looked at our WR depth chart lately? ;-) 

yes theres a star named wilson. we dont need braxton to be the star anymore hence the OP was right all along

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, HighPitch said:

yes theres a star named wilson. we dont need braxton to be the star anymore hence the OP was right all along

I know the thread took many twists and turns, but one post sticks in my mind about what the lower end of the WR corps should be like. Detroit was mentioned where they took a late round, high potential guy (Amon Ra St Brown) and he emerged as a true star, and that was the model that the OP wanted us to follow. 

So maybe - maybe - if guys like Brownlee / Charles / Gipson turnout to be future #2 material then this shall come to pass. But right now, our new BB is Hardman - speedy slot / gadget guy, does returns, but no-one is looking at him as amounting to more than that. I've also seen posts this preseason about him dropping stuff that should be easy catches.  Until I see otherwise ... the Braxton Berrios type of player is still on this team. ;-) 

I get the spirit of this post.  Allow me to take you to another sport, another time.  I root for the St. Louis Cardinals baseball team.  In the mid-90's I thought our outfield consisting of Benard Gilkey, Ray Lankford and Brian Jordan was what a World Series roster looked like.  It wasn't.   Within 10 years we had Albert Pujols, Jim Edmonds and Scott Rolen.  We won.  

I didn't know what greatness looked like until I got to see it.

One day, maybe now, we will look back and say - remember when Berrios was our best WR? And we will all laugh.. and laugh..  and laugh

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, carlito1171 said:

Good....

Imagine winning against Minny and deluding yourselves into thinking he's a QB1.....we wouldn't have pursued 8.... 

Every bad break and horrible decision of the past has led us to this moment right now.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, jamesr said:

The original premise of the thread was that we shouldn't have JAG level players like Berrios on the team. 

exactly, I'm not sure whose returning punts Gibson will probably fumble his way into keeping this thread going all year

50 minutes ago, elvispookie said:

I get the spirit of this post.  Allow me to take you to another sport, another time.  I root for the St. Louis Cardinals baseball team.  In the mid-90's I thought our outfield consisting of Benard Gilkey, Ray Lankford and Brian Jordan was what a World Series roster looked like.  It wasn't.   Within 10 years we had Albert Pujols, Jim Edmonds and Scott Rolen.  We won.  

One day, maybe now, we will look back and say - remember when Berrios was our best WR? And we will all laugh.. and laugh..  and laugh

Berrios was never considered our best WR. He was used more like WR3. But he played like a WR5 and was a very good returner and gadget player.  This is actually what you want for a WR5, but he was way overpaid for that role 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, elvispookie said:

In 2021 the WR that led the Jets in receiving yards was... Elijah Moore with 538 yards.  Also led the team with 5 receiving TDs.

But wait...In 2013 the leader on the team was Jeremy Kerley with 523 yards and Jeff Cumberland had a team-high 4 receiving TDs.

I'd laugh if it wasn't so sad.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Kleckineau said:

Remember how Brady made jag recievers look great?

Watch what Aaaron does this year.

FQBs make their own weapoinz, not the other way around.

2 hours ago, Trotter said:

Timeline you state coincided with him being on a reality tv show with his girlfriend.

kind of like the kardashian curse. Every athlete they touch goes to sh-t

Brain herpes 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, billo83 said:

Berrios was never considered our best WR. He was used more like WR3. But he played like a WR5 and was a very good returner and gadget player.  This is actually what you want for a WR5, but he was way overpaid for that role 

Berrios had a couple ok games with Sam Darnold.  Zach came along and he looked awful.  

12 hours ago, jamesr said:

No, the original premise was to have players at the bottom of the roster with potential to develop into quality starters. Not having Berrios or players like him, called upon to play pivotal roles in games because it would lead to failure. And the misguided idea that he was good because the rest of team was so bad is dumb. Thankfully, thanks to Joe we are past this, Berrios was a WR5 guy that had no chance of becoming a solid starter, and now in Miami he is doing the same thing, but at least clogging up thier roster not ours. A team is much better off to have that spot in the hands of some young up and comers that have a shot to grow.

That was the point, that you missed apparently. Despite pages and pages that thoroughly cover it. But you SOJ types going to be SOJ types I guess. It's funny you mention our current guys, cause they are exactly what every good team wants, young players that have potential to grow.

7 hours ago, jamesr said:

This quote is not showing up on my screen, but I think it might have been a shot at our WR3 Hardman. who not only is much more talented than berrios but was penciled in as our WR4. And although I would not say he is a super star, he is perfect WR3, one of the best in the league for that role. For reference here is some other Top NFL Teams WR3's for comparison. 

Miami - Ced wilson Jr?

Buff 0 kalil shakir?

KC: sky moore

Cinn: ty boyd

philly: quez watkins

Funny whne you actually take even the most basic look at these things instead of generalize statements, it becomes very clear, Hardman is pretty pretty damn good. And these are just the teams off the top of my head, it get alot worse than Hardman. 

7 hours ago, jamesr said:

I know the thread took many twists and turns, but one post sticks in my mind about what the lower end of the WR corps should be like. Detroit was mentioned where they took a late round, high potential guy (Amon Ra St Brown) and he emerged as a true star, and that was the model that the OP wanted us to follow. 

So maybe - maybe - if guys like Brownlee / Charles / Gipson turnout to be future #2 material then this shall come to pass. But right now, our new BB is Hardman - speedy slot / gadget guy, does returns, but no-one is looking at him as amounting to more than that. I've also seen posts this preseason about him dropping stuff that should be easy catches.  Until I see otherwise ... the Braxton Berrios type of player is still on this team. ;-) 

This is my favorite post by you actually. You actually cite a great example of why  not having berrios types is good and why having young guys on the roster can lead to finding a great player and double down on the SOJ feeling and dismiss the idea completely. You think all we are capable of doing is having these terrible players like Berrios and actually are against the process to get better. CRAZY

Then you blast Hardman a high draft pedigree guy who is as good as any WR3 in the game. It's just silly. You sound ridiculous especially considering the Berrios debacle.

The good news is that Berrios spots are being given to high upside guys like brownlee who have been working their asses off, making great plays all camp. These guys all give our team a chance at the future St Browns. That is the point. We have a well built roster and a good WR room.

Even after have painstakingly explaining this all to you directly, you reading and not understanding all the previous pages, Im afraid you still didn't grasped the concept. No worries SOJF, just enjoy the ride and know Joe Douglass is right and you are wrong. And we might even hit with one of these new guys. 

The Simpsons GIF

Good time to be a jets fan. 

4 minutes ago, Trotter said:

@BornJetsFan1983

After 32 pages the one thing clear to me is you are the poster child of a jets fan and I say that in a respectful/admiration way.

you took beating after beating including myself for your take but never relented. You kept on coming back for more and never waivered.

that is the life of a jet fan

haha thanks, yeah I am a jets fan through and through. 

haha yeah some def argued against me, its funny the SOJF thing, when we are bad you can rationalize stuff like berrios was good, when you are bad for a decade you can even start to maybe agree or partake in that crap, but now that we finally have turned things around it is obvious how stupid all that is. 

give your self credit, your a jets fan too, we are all going to take a beating this year cause all other fans will be relentless against us this season. we might know better on jet nation, but no one is giving us credit.

But when we win the east, the conference and the SB, they will all be proven wrong. And fan like us are going to enjoy every second of it.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

Put Berrios on this roster and tell me he sucks.  He is not a #1 or #2, or probably not even a #3 guy, but he did his job and I would take him on this roster any day.  

Ever team needs competent level talent on the back end of the position.  

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

35 minutes ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

We have a true number one, two threes, and a veteran who has one foot out the door. Where are we so stacked?

Agreed i meant overall, for once, the team is stacked

also we might have not only a true #1 but a star. When did we have that in the last oh say 20 years?

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

• 1 month later...