It looks like Zach Wilson and the NY Jets have found a very interesting loophole in the NFL's Rule.

Working with a private QB coach (who he worked with long before the Jets ever drafted him) doesn't feel like a loophole to me. It's not like Beck is going to have the Jets playbook or be talking with LaFleur or anything.

But it's nice that Beck had exposure to the Jets offense and meetings this season. It can only help in his coaching of Wilson if he knows the scheme and exactly what they're looking for from Zach.

• Upvote 4

13 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

This is a whole lot of nothing. Beck is as connected to the Jets as much as Palmer was connected when he coached Darnold. The fact that the Jets allowed Beck into meetings as an observer and on the sideline doesn't  mean he is employed by them. I'm pretty sure Beck isn't getting advice from the Jets on how to coach Wilson unless he is receiving  compensation  which would make him at least an independent  contractor which could be considered an employee. 

I think there were articles at the time how Gase (or anyone from his staff) even contacted Jordan Palmer to talk about Darnold.  Of course, Gase didn't believe in any other coach in Darnolds ear, but Palmer did say in interviews how that was strange and unlike other teams.

24 minutes ago, Dinamite said:

I think there were articles at the time how Gase (or anyone from his staff) even contacted Jordan Palmer to talk about Darnold.  Of course, Gase didn't believe in any other coach in Darnolds ear, but Palmer did say in interviews how that was strange and unlike other teams.

Gase, a legend in his own mind

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, WestCoastMole said:

An article was published a couple of days on ESPN's Website about a loophole in the NFL' s Rules that will advance Zach Wilson's Off Season training regimen. The NFL's Rules prohibit Player Personnel Personnel from having any training contact with Team Coach Staff from the close of the season until OTAs begin in April. Enter John Beck who is a QB Training coach whose services are retain by Zach Wilson. Beck was invited to the Jets facility when Zach was rehabbing from an injury. In that capacity Beck was also attending Team Meetings and Practice to watch Zach's development and take notes on what the Team's evalutions are of Zach and what expectations they have for Zach. In the closing weeks of the seasons Beck returned home to Los Angeles. Now recall the BYU News Outlet that did the interview of Zach last week. Several interesting tidbits came out about Zach, First he said he was interested in relocating to a warm weather climate. The second item is that Zach an his girlfriend had broke off their relationship. I'm willing to bet that Zach's girlfriend was operating under the impression that both she and Zach would return to Utah for the next 4 months. Then Zach dropped the news on her that his stay in Utah would last only a month after which he would fly down to LA to train/workout with John Beck for the following 3 months. During her stay with Zach his girlfriend probably got her fill of New York and wanted to return to Utah. A 1 month turn around was not what she had in mind so she decided to call off their relationship and move on to other people. The point was conveyed in the ESPN Article that Zach intends to devote considerable effort to working out with Beck in the Off Season. This arrangement is indeed interesting. John Beck is NOT an employee of the New York Jets. He was invited on to the Jets Training Facility as a Guest. This also included attending meetings, Beck was there as an observer. Now that this "arrangement" has been published it will be interesting to watch if and how The NFL reacts to it. There isn't much that can be done this Off Season as the nature of relationship is a private business contract between Beck and Zach. But I would not be surprised to see the NFL's Front Office contact the Jets to convey the League's sense of impropriety about the matter. It could even go so far as stating Private Contractors are no different than any other member of the Public and not granted access to any other team functions that are walled off from the Public. As to Zach I'm really impressed with his desire to improve his game. He is look for any angle that will give him an edge over the competition. This is the kind of stuff that leads me to believe the improvement we saw in the last 4 Weeks of this season is just the begining. https://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/88725/new-york-jets-zach-wilson-has-hidden-edge-as-he-embarks-on-key-offseason

Can someone please post a summary of above.

I think I can simplify the OP.
NFL has a rule that coaches can’t “coach” players in offseason except at designated times. (OTAs, mini camp etc)
John Beck has been Wilson’s private QB coach for years. 

Because the Jets hired Beck mid season as a coach, he technically could not work with Wilson in the off-season. 

EXCEPT - they “fired” Beck at the end of the season….or his contract expired. 

So now, the rule doesn’t apply to Beck because he’s no longer on the team. 

This is a huge advantage cause Beck can now continue to coach Wilson with specific knowledge of the Jets offense, what they want him to improve on etc etc. 
Soon 31 other teams will.do the same

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

Soon 31 other teams will.do the same

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

I don’t know if there are 31 QB coaches.  My guess is that Beck also will work with other clients this Winter.  

who know what happened with Cavanaugh, but I don’t think it’s certain that Beck repeats this role next year. B

Also note, this is a "loophole" most teams would never have need of nor desire to use.

For example, there is nothing stopping Beck from taking a job with the Patriots now.  

Teams generally don't need QB whisperers in addition to their own coaching staff.

And no team wants to risk that QB whisperer leaving by trying to exploit "loopholes" in the offseason, where the whisperer can now be bought by the highest bidder.

All reasons why I don't expect Beck to be on the Jets staff again next year.  That was a one-year thing to try and save Wilson.  It won't be repeated.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Working with a private QB coach (who he worked with long before the Jets ever drafted him) doesn't feel like a loophole to me. It's not like Beck is going to have the Jets playbook or be talking with LaFleur or anything.

But it's nice that Beck had exposure to the Jets offense and meetings this season. It can only help in his coaching of Wilson if he knows the scheme and exactly what they're looking for from Zach.

Agreed 

3 hours ago, Warfish said:

I don't think it's a loophole the Jets will actually use.

If they planned to have Beck be an employee only during each season (contractually), he'd not be an employee during the offseason, so could work with any player he likes, no violation, but skirting the rules, no doubt.

The kicker here is "do the Jets plan to re-hire Beck at the start of the 2022 season".  Doing so would definitely be skirting the "spirit of the rules".

But I don't think they are.  The Beck as a jets (Wilson) Coach during the season was likely a one-time thing.   

I'd wager Beck does not rejoin the Jets next year.  As such, no loophole, just a guy going back to doing what he was doing beforehand, working with QB's (not just Wilson).  

Another thing from Beck's perspective...if Zach Wilson turns out to be legit, there is no way Beck would take a QB coaching job in the NFL.

He will be a made man, running camps and private instruction for a select few. He will be pulling in much more $ that way than working for a team. With more fun and better hours too.  

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

5 minutes ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

The thing is I live in N NJ somewhat near the Jets training facility. It is about as different from NYC as.........Utah.  Morris County NJ is not anything like NYC.  

I know what you're trying to say, but this is a statement someone who has never been to Utah would make.

The gap between NYC and NJ, Long Island, Westchester etc. is not nearly as large as the gap between NYC and Utah.

21 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

If the Jets hire Beck for the 2022 season, I imagine there will be lots of complaints in the league office about it. 

11 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Yeah, my guess is the NFL/NFLPA will step in here and likely close the loop hole.

The thing is, until they actually close the “loophole” - I’m not really sure what they can do? It seems like they would need to amend the current rule to specifically outlaw what the Jets are doing (or what they might do)

As I recall the language used when Beck was brought in was vague and nebulous and open to interpretation. The ESPN Article written by Cimini is pretty explicit stating Beck is an independent contractor working for Wilson who came in to visit the Jets Facility. The other thing that struck me as odd is what happened to Matt Cavanaugh ? He WAS hired by the Jets to Coach Wilson after Greg Knapp was killed. Cavanaugh just vanished in to thin air.

Cavanaugh was still there. 

9 minutes ago, Maxman said:

Another thing from Beck's perspective...if Zach Wilson turns out to be legit, there is no way Beck would take a QB coaching job in the NFL.

He will be a made man, running camps and private instruction for a select few. He will be pulling in much more $ that way than working for a team. With more fun and better hours too.  

Exactly.....why buy the cow when you can get the milk for free??

• Haha 1

As I recall the language used when Beck was brought in was vague and nebulous and open to interpretation. The ESPN Article written by Cimini is pretty explicit stating Beck is an independent contractor working for Wilson who came in to visit the Jets Facility. The other thing that struck me as odd is what happened to Matt Cavanaugh ? He WAS hired by the Jets to Coach Wilson after Greg Knapp was killed. Cavanaugh just vanished in to thin air.

Ok so what is it your looking for, 65 posts by an op called WestCoastMole. Writing a post this long over Jon Beck coming in as a part of the Jets org for a short period. Their Passing game coordinator tragically died before the season, kudos to the Jets for bringing in Beck. Loophole or not, sounds like a troll job to me. Thank you Dick C JR.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, jeremy2020 said:

This sounds like how you lose a 1st round pick. 

The nice thing about it is they can't charge the Jets anything until they change the rules. They haven't changed them yet, so the Jets should be fine.

• Sympathy 1

30 minutes ago, Hex said:

The nice thing about it is they can't charge the Jets anything until they change the rules. They haven't changed them yet, so the Jets should be fine.

You say this like it's true.. the NFL has and could decide the Jets were trying to circumvent rules and punish them for that. 

Personally, I don't think anyone cares because it's the NFLPA's rule, not the NFLs. Zach is supporting this so I suspect the only thing that would happen is the NFLPA will talk to Zach about it. 

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

You say this like it's true.. the NFL has and could decide the Jets were trying to circumvent rules and punish them for that. 

Personally, I don't think anyone cares because it's the NFLPA's rule, not the NFLs. Zach is supporting this so I suspect the only thing that would happen is the NFLPA will talk to Zach about it. 

That's a good point there. I agree with you

27 minutes ago, yvj said:

I'm going to bet Utah doesn't bend you over with taxes and you can get a mansion and land for the price of NY condo there

Exactly, the tax rate and housing prices in the northeast is ridiculous. I left like 13 years ago and couldn’t be happier. Have a 2000 sq ft house with an acre of land and only paid 175k while only paying 2k a year in property taxes. In north jersey you’d be lucky to get half that house with no land for 300k while paying 10k a year in taxes. 

38 minutes ago, BurntDice said:

Exactly, the tax rate and housing prices in the northeast is ridiculous. I left like 13 years ago and couldn’t be happier. Have a 2000 sq ft house with an acre of land and only paid 175k while only paying 2k a year in property taxes. In north jersey you’d be lucky to get half that house with no land for 300k while paying 10k a year in taxes. 

Utah is beautiful.  Probably one of my favorite states. From the mountains in the north to the canyons in the south…it really is a must see part of the country. 

But it can be pretty pricey for being “Utah”.  Zach is from Draper which is a suburb of Salt Lake City.  A decent house there will set you back $600K+ easily. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, UntouchableCrew said:

I know what you're trying to say, but this is a statement someone who has never been to Utah would make.

The gap between NYC and NJ, Long Island, Westchester etc. is not nearly as large as the gap between NYC and Utah.

How do you know if I've been to Utah?  The gap between NYC and Morris County NJ is larger in many ways than the gap between Morris County NJ and Salt Lake City.