RUMOR: Jets want to trade #10

I will say the same thing about trade downs that I say every year.  I will beleive it when I see it.  As others have pointed out, same reason we want to trade down (lack of impact players at higly valued positions) is the same reason I think it is unlikely.  A lot could change between now and the draft -- best case scenario is one or two QBs stand out over the next three months. 

But right now, I think it is much more likely that we make our picks at 4 & 10 than move down.

• Upvote 3

40 minutes ago, HighPitch said:

thats the wise choice in the long run but it will be a bit of a buzkill come draft day

maybe.  but the thing douglas is going to be wary of is picking too many top players in the same draft so that their future contracts all come due the same season.  that could force some bad choices down the line.  on the other hand, they do need an influx of talent now to get on the track to winning.  it's all a balance act.

• Upvote 3

43 minutes ago, HighPitch said:

thats the wise choice in the long run but it will be a bit of a buzkill come draft day

next season is stocked with QB's, trading for a 1 next year would be a great move.

1. in case Wilson doesnt develop

2. there are going to be QB's going in the top 10, other players may drop

• Upvote 2
  • WTF? 1

7 hours ago, jamesr said:

Just means that the GMs and scouts have to work that bit harder to make sure they identify the talent that is out there.

We often criticized Macc for making the "easy pick" in Round 1 - the guy everyone had listed as the "best player in the draft". A good GM will be able to find those guys even without a consensus among the talking heads and fan forums.

It's time for JD to show us what he is made of. 

Just Saying Jello GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

JD said 6 wins isn’t good enough like 5 times in his post season PC

sensed a little urgency. 

JD is going to be aggressive in getting Saleh playmakers this year. If the right guy is available he may send a pick or as I call them a  lottery ticket for a proven vet. 

Who knows. I just know Saleh and JD know they can’t be winning only 4-6 games next year and expect it to go well

• Upvote 3

14 hours ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

Rumor also has it that JD will be very active in his pursuit of the best free agents. Will try to sign the best free agents that fit the scheme and stay away from players who will not contribute to winning football

What the hell took him so long ??? He should have already been doing that for 2+ years.

14 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

What the hell took him so long ??? He should have already been doing that for 2+ years.

No. He shouldn't have been doing that for 2+ years. The team was still paying Quincy Enunwa, Le'Veon Bell, Trumaine Johnson, Kelechi Osemele, Sam Darnold, and Henry Anderson. The team is also paying CJ Mosely's insane contract. You don't overpay for new talent when you are overpaying for players on other teams or out of the league. Some of it is just dead cap space, but the point remains the same. This is what an actual rebuild looks like. Calling what we did for the past ten years was not a rebuild, but somehow got called a rebuild. 

• Sympathy 1

To add to the above, I believe JD was reluctant to flush money on expensive FAs when we did not have a QB or even real coach for that matter.   I agree with that approach.  Unfortunately, the 2020 draft did not create much of a base, but we still have 2 OL from the 2020 FA class who are decent.   Zach Wilson looks like he could be decent.   The running game looks good.  The defense is a disaster from a roster perspective.  JD has to spend the money now to get good players.  

17 hours ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

Fred "Slappy" McGee from the Gorgonzola Gazette says that the Jets are willing to make the pick at 4, trade up, or down. The same with the 10th pick and any pick in the early, mid, or late rounds. Rumor also has it that JD will be very active in his pursuit of the best free agents. Will try to sign the best free agents that fit the scheme and stay away from players who will not contribute to winning football.

"It's too early to know anything, but I've heard rumblings that the Jets prefer to trade this pick if they can, but will also consider trading up, or even taking a player when on the clock." McGee wrote.

Is "Slappy" short for "Slapdick"?

I love that name...

• Upvote 1

On 1/19/2022 at 9:56 AM, rangerous said:

maybe.  but the thing douglas is going to be wary of is picking too many top players in the same draft so that their future contracts all come due the same season.  that could force some bad choices down the line.  on the other hand, they do need an influx of talent now to get on the track to winning.  it's all a balance act.

We have had so few draft picks that have been worth extending over the past ten years that  this would be a very good problem to have.  It would mean Douglas has hit on the majority of his picks.  Having too many quality players worth extending and running into cap issues is the kind of problem I would like to see this team have for a change.

• Upvote 2

Just now, Lith said:

We have had so few draft picks that have been worth extending over the past ten years that  this would be a very good problem to have.  It would mean Douglas has hit on the majority of his picks.  Having too many quality players worth extending and running into cap issues is the kind of problem I would like to see this team have for a change.

100%. This is like people worried that hiring a defensive HC means our OC could end up poached. If our offense is ever good enough that someone wants to hire our OC away I'll be a very happy man.

• Sympathy 1

On 1/19/2022 at 11:13 AM, Sperm Edwards said:

Could be he's willing to move down from #4, too, but before the senior bowl & combine it's just too early to say if the pick is more valuable to them using it or trading it. Too early with both round 1 slots, of course, but he's loved the luxury of having a pair of #1 picks each year. Drafting disappointments are never good, but it does help erase the sting of a whiff if you have 3 extra 1st rounders in 3 years (not to mention the other extra day 2 & day 3 picks). 

And wiffs are going to be unavoidable when a top 5 GM is hitting at around 55 percent of his picks.  

I stated in another post it was a bad beat for JD: Rookie GM, first draft, and its in the COVID era when he can't actually see players up close and talk to them.  I still like the Becton pick.  We can all talk about Wirfs, but we needed a LT, not a RT.  Hindsight, of course.....Had we of known Fant would play like he did at LT, we would have our RT position locked for the next 10 years, and drafted a LT prospect at some point over the following 2 years.  I still like the Mims pick...It was the right one, given what everyone was saying about him.  But, those picks are starting to look like they aren't working.  Davis....Another solid pick where he dropped to.  But Davis isn't looking like a viable starter.  Back-up perhaps, which is still needed.  Clark was projected to be a decent lineman, he might have to retire.  I liked a lot of the picks except Zuniga.  They just haven't panned out.  

We shall see what this next draft brings us.  I have no doubt JD will arm himself with a second 1st rounder somehow in 2023. 

• Upvote 2

On 1/19/2022 at 10:56 AM, rangerous said:

if the brain trust and scouts do their jobs, It seems to me that picking the best players now can create a winning culture and it wouldn’t matter if you don’t keep them all because you would have a constant pipeline of good players coming in to replace them

free agents and drafts can keep it going

look at some of the perineal good teams, that’s how they do it

lets hope that this front office can do it

• Upvote 1