Bengals proving 5 year rebuilds are BS

kevinc855

2 hours ago, varjet said:

Through bad luck and bad management the Jets are in a tough spot.  

The first part is true.  Joe Burrow and Kyler Murray were both pretty easy, slam dunks as prospects and were amongst the very safest elite qb picks I have ever seen.  I personally rated both slightly higher than even what I saw from Lawrence (and he was my number 1 in this draft by a country mile).  Meanwhile Lance, Wilson and the others were what I would consider that standard super talented but risky player, which sometimes pays off (Pat Mahomes) but often doesn’t (Bortles).  

But the management plays the cards they were given, and sadly that didn’t involve a perfect candidate that everyone could be confident about.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, jamesr said:

Seeing a lot of comments here about how a franchise QB changes everything ... yet Matt Stafford still exists.

Was he not a franchise QB in Detroit all those years? How come he couldn't elevate all the players around him? ;-)  

Almost like it's a team sport or something!

Solid point 

11 hours ago, Matt39 said:

Burrow is certainly good. He's not great yet. The Bengals have always drafted relatively well. It cant be understated how bad the Jets have been at drafting, this includes Joe Douglas.

He was very good last year before he got hurt.  By any standard he was great this year.   The guy had a plus 70% completion percentage while leading the league in yards per attempt.  That's literally great.  Not to mention 34 TD's this year.  

1 minute ago, Biggs said:

He was very good last year before he got hurt.  By any standard he was great this year.   The guy had a plus 70% completion percentage while leading the league in yards per attempt.  That's literally great.  Not to mention 34 TD's this year.  

Joe Burrow is one bad stud! 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, jamesr said:

Seeing a lot of comments here about how a franchise QB changes everything ... yet Matt Stafford still exists.

Was he not a franchise QB in Detroit all those years? How come he couldn't elevate all the players around him? ;-)  

Almost like it's a team sport or something!

Matt Stafford is going to the SB.  He's very good replacement in Detroit just put up the worst record in the NFL.  Stafford did elevate the players around him.  Detroit without Stafford has been even worse.   He was in a division with a better franchise QB.  We are going to have the same issue in our division for years unless Allen gets hurt.  

7 hours ago, AFJF said:

Somebody won the powerball the other day so don't tell me that I'm throwing my money away when I buy lotto tickets.

I just read a great investing book by the guy who runs the Yale endowment.  Apparently the perfectly balanced portfolio is 75% stocks, 24.999% bonds and .0001% power ball tickets.   

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, kevinc855 said:

In two year they went from number one overall pick to possibly in the super bowl

JD, your plan doesn’t need 5 years 

When did Jd say this was a five year rebuild, when did Cincy completely gut their team and they weren’t rebuilding the year before last?  Or before that?

• Upvote 1

If I am JD and Saleh in a meeting, I am pointing to the relative consistent success of the 49er model even though they lost in the NFCCG.  For a team as consistently bad as the Jets, we will take that.  

With a QB like Garoppolo (and I wonder if the Jets try to pick him up as a bridge for Wilson), the 49ers did pretty well and almost won that game.  Quite frankly, I think Aaron Donald willed the Rams to victory, on his back, and without him there are no Rams in the Super Bowl.  

Both the Rams and 49ers employed the outside zone run scheme.  Both the Rams and 49ers have dominant DL players that the Jets lack, and will likely lack again after this draft.  if the Jets think that Karlaftis could be close, they may draft him.  

The Rams are going for it this year.  Who knows how good they are again.  They have a new stadium to seek tickets in, just like the Jets did 10 years ago.  The Jets are following a 49er model.  They need a Deebo Samuel and George Kittle and Nick Bosa and Fred Warner and Jimmie Ward.  I would expect that their draft could likely focus on picking up players like that.  

The Bengals and Chiefs scored with a unique combination of elite/generational QB and WR/TE (KC).  The train has left the station for the Jets.  We are the East Coast 49ers. 

Every situation, every team, every player is unique. 

To say that there is a "blueprint" to build a team and this how it is done is STUPID.

To say that because quarterback "x" did this in his rookie year, player "y" will do this. Or, not do this is STUPID.

It is fans trying to be geniuses. And I get that. We want to cling to something in order to have hope, or to hug on to despair.

Largest indicator of success in the NFL has been ownership and a philosophical belief and process of vetting and hiring great people  that have leadership qualities that guide the process. Above the GM level. Even that fails. 

I have been a huge advocate of the Jets ownership helping enable their GM in organizational decisions that help guide on-field decisions better. A buffer between ownership and the field general, if you will. 

One of the best tenants of great leadership is to realize what you are good at and what you are not. The Johnsons have not figured that out yet. They SEEM to be doing a little better with Douglas, and allowing a little more free rein. But they could provide him more tools. Douglas should not be the one to have to tell the team that they need better training facilities and practice areas. God knows what else is inept within the mechanism of the system that we don't see. For a billion+ $ organization, they seem to run on shoestring budgets and listen to the whim of the masses.  Invest in the  damn infrastructure. 

• Upvote 1