I guess the coin toss in OT DOESN'T Really Matter...

jetsons

It is possibly the dumbest rule in all of Professional sports.  Either team wins the flip last week, there is a strong possibility that either team goes down and scores a TD.  It is unfortunate that the rule is what it is for the team that lost, but also for a fan that enjoyed the entire game.  I for one came away wondering how entertaining the game would have been had they played a full quarter, or at the very least the losing team had an opportunity to match them.  

Regular season, fine, who gives a ****.  Postseason, the game is decided by a coin flip.

KC won the toss, so we will never know.  

3 hours ago, Mark78 said:

Just glad the Chiefs are out, as well as Brady.  Sick of the same teams winning all the time; feels good!

It really does. It is super exciting to see a Super Bowl without Brady especially but Mahomes and Rodgers too and 2 teams that no one expected to be there. First Super Bowl in quite a while that I am looking forward to.

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, Butterfield said:

Regular season, tie at end of regulation equals a tie, and game is over.

Playoffs, play an extra quarter.  

Honestly I would prefer a system that doesn't extend the game too long but doesn't end in a tie. I hate ties so much. 

But if the only option is to give it to chance I would take ties over coin flips

3 hours ago, Mark78 said:

Just glad the Chiefs are out, as well as Brady.  Sick of the same teams winning all the time; feels good!

I understand your reasoning with Brady, but the Chiefs only have 1 super bowl win in 4 AFC champ appearances. They are going to win another at some point but if they don't, well Andy Reid is going to go down as the coach with the highest Conference Champ : Super Bowl win ratio.

On 1/30/2022 at 6:21 PM, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

This is the game that ends that silly discussion. The OT rules are fine the way they are. Make a stop and score. 

One game with an interception does not end "the silly discussion." 

In fact, if anything, it strengthens the argument. 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, bla bla bla said:

Both offenses should get the ball once, both teams did. OT rules should be changed to make this the standard.

Yeah...isn't this funny that a thread was started based on that discussion, and in fact strengthens the argument put up about this?  

• Haha 1