Would Rashad Penny be a good compliment to Carter?

16 minutes ago, Tranquilo said:

He'd be great as long as he stayed healthy. He was like legit the best back in the NFL the last 5 weeks.

I agree.  He proved he can be a big time back but the sample size is very small.  And the injury history is terrifying.  

If you could guarantee health, id do it in a heartbeat.  But since you cant Breece Hall at 38 would be the better option.

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

51 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Would rather draft. 

Penny did nothing his whole time in the league until like the last 4 games of 2021. Let him be someone else’s gamble.

if people liked to make fun of Cashman as injury prone, just wait for the responses if you get Penny. guy is always hurt

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

There are a number of decent RBs currently available; Fournette, Michel, Penny, Gordon… I wouldn’t break the bank for any of them, but I like the idea of a veteran back. Jets have had good luck with them over the years, too. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Joe W. Namath said:

I agree.  He proved he can be a big time back but the sample size is very small.  And the injury history is terrifying.  

If you could guarantee health, id do it in a heartbeat.  But since you cant Breece Hall at 38 would be the better option.

The torn ACL can happen to anyone. Missing 5 games due to a calf injury is not a good look but I'd still look to sign him. Fornette would be much more expensive.

2018- 4 missed games

2019- 2 games missed with hamstring and then in December torn ACL

2021- 5 missed games due to calf (again) and another missed game for hamstring.

Injury History

Date League Injury Details
Aug 13, 2018 NFL Hand Finger Fracture Penny broke the pointer finger on his left hand in practice on August 13th. He had surgery on the 15th but was ready for the start of the season.
Dec 10, 2018 NFL Knee Strain Grade 1 Penny missed 2 games with a knee injury.
Sep 20, 2019 NFL Thigh Hamstring Strain Grade 2 Penny injured his hamstring during practice ahead of Week 3 game vs the Saints. He missed two games. He was listed as inactive Week 6 against Cleveland with the same injury.
Dec 8, 2019 NFL Knee ACL Tear Grade 3 Penny tore his ACL during the game against the Rams. He was ruled out for the rest of the 2019 season
Jan 8, 2021 NFL Knee Strain Grade 1 Penny missed a wild card contest against the Rams due to a knee injury.
Sep 12, 2021 NFL Leg Calf Strain Penny injured his left calf during Week 1's game at Indianapolis. He missed five games
Nov 21, 2021 NFL Thigh Hamstring Sprain/Pull Unspecified Grade 1 Penny suffered a hamstring injury in Week 11's loss to the Cardinals. He missed one game

2 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

Would rather draft. 

Penny did nothing his whole time in the league until like the last 4 games of 2021. Let him be someone else’s gamble.

He's actually been pretty good generally when he's on the field. But he's constantly injured. If you can get him as a 3rd/4th back to be used in a rotation, at a price near Coleman's, he'd be a great pickup. And you can try to sell him on it with "come play a year with us, you'll be a rotational back so you'll have a better chance of making it a whole season, and if you do that you can go cash in as a UFA"

But I doubt it

1 hour ago, slats said:

There are a number of decent RBs currently available; Fournette, Michel, Penny, Gordon… I wouldn’t break the bank for any of them, but I like the idea of a veteran back. Jets have had good luck with them over the years, too. 

Fournette would be a great option in this offense but there's exactly zero chance he comes here. Jets aren't giving big money to a back and if he's going to take another lower tier contract the Bucs would give it to him

20 minutes ago, Doggin94it said:

Fournette would be a great option in this offense but there's exactly zero chance he comes here. Jets aren't giving big money to a back and if he's going to take another lower tier contract the Bucs would give it to him

I suspect the RBs are still available because no one’s giving them big money. Fournette earned $3.5M last year. Plenty of room to give him a raise without getting anywhere near big money, if they’re interested. Will he be more interested in running it back with Brady on Tampa? Uh, probably. 

39 minutes ago, Doggin94it said:

He's actually been pretty good generally when he's on the field. But he's constantly injured. If you can get him as a 3rd/4th back to be used in a rotation, at a price near Coleman's, he'd be a great pickup. And you can try to sell him on it with "come play a year with us, you'll be a rotational back so you'll have a better chance of making it a whole season, and if you do that you can go cash in as a UFA"

But I doubt it

Nah, just draft a guy in the 4th. I have zero interest in Penny. Don’t give mediocre RBs their 2nd contracts unless they are here to fill a specific role. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

26 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Glad to see lots of you getting on board with Breece Hall.  Hes the pick at 38.

Glad to see you're all over the MAP... Just kidding, what happened to Spiller.... No longer on the bandwagon ?

4 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

Would rather draft. 

I'm not going to lie though, he looked great during the final 5-6 games of the season. He was finally healthy and you could clearly see why he was drafted so high. The high probability of injury makes him extremly risky but if they could get him in the 1 year 3.5 mill range, which seems right in line, I'd be completely on board. As someone who had Penny on a few fantasy teams last year, I watched him play. He looked top 10 RB good.

24 minutes ago, extmenace said:

I'm not going to lie though, he looked great during the final 5-6 games of the season. He was finally healthy and you could clearly see why he was drafted so high. The high probability of injury makes him extremly risky but if they could get him in the 1 year 3.5 mill range, which seems right in line, I'd be completely on board. As someone who had him on a few fantasy teams last year, I watched him play. He looked top 10 RB good.

You shouldn't go into the draft with Coleman and Carter. The other 2 on the roster don't deserve mentioning. If the draft doesn't play out the way we like we might be signing some UDFA to fill out the roster. Penny has talent; he just has been unfortunate with injuries. As he showed the last month of the season... there is talent there and a perfect power back to Carter's quick-twitch ability.

Fournette not coming here as Brady loves him, Michel perhaps and Gordon wants to stay with Denver.... who wouldn't with RW under center.

I think there is more upside with Penny and getting the RB group addressed prior to draft is impoetant. What's the point of  strengthening the OL without a good back to hit the hole on time and with aggressiveness? FYI - Who's to say Bryce Hall won't get injured 1st game of the season?

2 hours ago, slats said:

28 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Still nope.

3 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

6 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

One area that hasn’t gotten much attention is RB. Coleman was a hold the fort signing. Penny finally had the breakout last several games last season. Bruising RB who could be paired with Carter and then hit RB in draft as well. 

I wihs it would just be carter and then tevin coleman to give him a breather. I hate this committee crap. Let my man get rolling

I kind of like the idea of bringing in Melvin Gordon. He might cost a little bit of money but he had a lot of really good production for Denver. He’d give the Jets a really strong backfield. If we’re going to go rookie at WR1, it may help to have a veteran presence in the backfield with MC