Hamilton at 4 sucks...but what about Hamilton @ 10?

Hamilton at 4 sucks...but what about Hamilton @ 10?  

49 members have voted

1. 1. Assuming we all hate Hamilton at Pick #4. Are you ok with Hamilton at pick #10?

• Yes
    • No
    • Never ever, I don't want Hamilton at any pick ever and plan on booing him at Metlife if I get a chance.
    • I'm ok with Hamilton at #4

The problem with Kyle Hamilton (6-4, 220) is that he's not really a safety. Not in Saleh's system.

He's a big Brian Urlacher or Isaiah Simmons type LB without a true position 

that's why he's not worth a top 10 pick (or at least, not to a team with as many holes as the Jets).

he's going to have to convert to LB and that's a spicy meatball for a top 10 pick. If somehow the Jets got Kyle Hamilton he'd be a pricey version of Sherwood (6-2, 216) and Nasirlideen (6-3. 215) - these players  have almost the same dimensions as Kyle Hamilton 

I'd be ok with him being one of the picks if we were to trade out at 4 or 10 and moved down into the 12-15 range while also picking up at least another second rounder that would, in turn, be used on another position of need. I think too many people are sour on the position because of their hatred for Jamal Adams. We need studs on the defense, if he is a stud, we can def put him to use.

7 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I was listening to the PFF podcast and they were going on and on about how Hamilton is a unicorn and how he’s prefect for today’s game and how you can use him this way and that way and what a matchup nightmare he is and how players like this come along once every twenty years. And then I recalled them doing the same exact sh*t with Isaiah Simmons, who has done nothing in the league since being drafted.

On the Daniel Jeremiah podcast he said that the Jets seem to love Hamilton.

23 minutes ago, JazzyJet said:

Assuming we all hate Hamilton at Pick #4. Are you ok with Hamilton at pick #10?

NO Safeties in the 1st Rd......EVER (with a qualifier).  The qualifier being "Does that Safety check the Palomalu, Reed box?"....if Yes...draft. So it's going to be about once in a generation where you go Safety in the 1st.

The 1st Rd should be ALL about helping Zack Wilson as much as possible, that should be the primary factor in ALL the GMs' decisions, simply because if you don't help him and know exactly who he is all other decisions become moot.  The secondary factor should be talent that can hit the QB on defense, if not outright Sacks, enough pressure that Tua Noodle can't even hit a screen to Hill, much less try to go deep....can see Hill stopping and having to come back for the ball many times this year.  He's a great player but I wouldn't have given up the farm, paid him 30 mill a year, not with the QB they have.  That deal only makes sense for a team with a strong armed QB and who are only a few players away from being a threat to win it all.

1st Rd is All about and Only...playmakers on Offense, those who can unleash playmakers (top rated OL) and guys who can get to the QB. Always about being close to the ball every play.

Saleh's D is tailored to Always being disruptive, Always making QB's at the very least very uncomfortable....top rated Corners and Safeties are nice to have in the scheme, but not essential.

His 40 time gave me a lot pause. I don't think he's quick enough to be an elite FS. His height does help make up some of the difference. When you're 6'4" with long arms, you can get to more balls. But still 4.6 speed is not good. We need a Marcus Williams type on our team.

Hopefully the Jets make it to the playoffs one day. If we do, guys like Josh Allen, Mahomes, etc are throwing rockets. I want a FS who'll make those guys second guess throws. 4.6 isn't doing it.

12 minutes ago, JoeWillieWhiteShoesHOF said:

The 1st Rd should be ALL about helping Zack Wilson as much as possible, that should be the primary factor in ALL the GMs' decisions, simply because if you don't help him and know exactly who he is all other decisions become moot. 

Agreed.  At the very least we have to see what we have with him because, before  you know it, we'll have to make a decision on him.

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I was listening to the PFF podcast and they were going on and on about how Hamilton is a unicorn and how he’s prefect for today’s game and how you can use him this way and that way and what a matchup nightmare he is and how players like this come along once every twenty years. And then I recalled them doing the same exact sh*t with Isaiah Simmons, who has done nothing in the league since being drafted.

This is more or less where I am on Hamilton.

11 minutes ago, GreenFish said:

His 40 time gave me a lot pause. I don't think he's quick enough to be an elite FS. His height does help make up some of the difference. When you're 6'4" with long arms, you can get to more balls. But still 4.6 speed is not good. We need a Marcus Williams type on our team.

Hopefully the Jets make it to the playoffs one day. If we do, guys like Josh Allen, Mahomes, etc are throwing rockets. I want a FS who'll make those guys second guess throws. 4.6 isn't doing it.

So to be fair, while there's concern about Hamilton's 40 and you say you want a Marcus Williams type - Hamilton ran a 4.59 and Williams ran a 4.56. I think Hamilton's height is more negative than positive because it makes harder to change direction when you're bigger.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, derp said:

This is more or less where I am on Hamilton.

So to be fair, while there's concern about Hamilton's 40 and you say you want a Marcus Williams type - Hamilton ran a 4.59 and Williams ran a 4.56. I think Hamilton's height is more negative than positive because it makes harder to change direction when you're bigger.

Hmm. That’s not a meaningful difference. Maybe I’m being too hard on Hamilton’s speed.

With the height, I’m envision him as our FS. Correct me if I’m wrong, but I’m thinking since he’ll be playing deep, he’ll mostly be backpedaling, shuffling laterally and then darting to the football or ball carrier. This is why I was thinking speed as the most important physical attribute.

Unless he’s asked to cover the slot, I’m not sure how many times change of direction comes into play. 

15 minutes ago, GreenFish said:

Hmm. That’s not a meaningful difference. Maybe I’m being too hard on Hamilton’s speed.

With the height, I’m envision him as our FS. Correct me if I’m wrong, but I’m thinking since he’ll be playing deep, he’ll mostly be backpedaling, shuffling laterally and then darting to the football or ball carrier. This is why I was thinking speed as the most important physical attribute.

Unless he’s asked to cover the slot, I’m not sure how many times change of direction comes into play. 

I think a quality free safety is going to need to cover in man at least sometimes.

I recall the dream about the tall straight line safety covering all types of ground in the back end all the way back to Taylor Mays and probably before. I can’t actually remember one of the tall straight line safeties working out. I just think the skill set is overrated and nicer in theory than in practice. Maybe it’s a bias I have.

• Upvote 1