Jets have contacted Texans about Brandin Cooks

2 hours ago, Zachtomims47 said:

"As far as a team thinking they could trade me for draft capital, I would caution them to think twice, because quite frankly, I'm not going to accept any more trades," the Houston Texans receiver said Friday, per Sarah Barshop of ESPN. "And so, for me, if you want me off your team, you've just got to let me walk and choose my destination."

What happened to this? lol

Does he have a no trade clause?

If not, what is he going to do, retire?

12 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

Not necessarily true. Some players main goal is to win a SB. Others want either $$ or a chance to be a starter/star. Motivation varies for different players.  

For the types of players we are talking about trading for (good, established NFL WRs), it absolutely is true 

• Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

I have liked Cooks ever since he was on NO. I never could figure out why he never stuck. All he ever does is produce wherever  he goes.

Same.  The talent is great, IMO.  The head injuries are a major concern for me though.  I’d give up a 4th and draft a successor.

• Upvote 3

So Amari Cooper is Jerry Rice and Cooks is meh?  What sport are some of you watching?  The difference is Cooks is a year older and has a concussion history, but has produced in an inferior offense with some bad QBs. Cooper was in a perfect situation to be a top WR in Dallas in a passing offense and a top QB and he was meh.  Trading for Cooks allows the Jets to draft a WR early (first or second round) and give that receiver time to mature.  It's a 1-2 year stop gap, as Cooper, Adams, Hill all would have been as well, but without the bloated contract.

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

For the types of players we are talking about trading for (good, established NFL WRs), it absolutely is true 

Do you think the Browns with a complete unknown in their QB situation(Watson suspension ?) is a better fit than the Cowboys . You can argue over the years the Browns organization has been one the biggest clown shows yet Amari Cooper chose to go there.

Players don't always have the leverage to sign where they really want , a lot of factors come into play a key one being the salary cap.  I get your point most players want to play for a winner, but I guess I'm tired of the narrative the Jets can't get good players , coaches etc... because of their past record. 

3 hours ago, BigRy56 said:

I like it. Cooks is like top 10 in yards since being drafted and has done well with a bunch of different QBs. It also would allow us to keep all 4 picks in the top 38, which I think JD is looking to go everywhere but WR

This frees him up to take who many believe is the most explosive receiver in the drafter - Jameson Williams. Cooks can help Zach this year and Williams will come in mid season and be a huge part of this team for a decade. I'm really hoping this happens.

2 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

Do you think the Browns with a complete unknown in their QB situation(Watson suspension ?) is a better fit than the Cowboys . You can argue over the years the Browns organization has been one the biggest clown shows yet Amari Cooper chose to go there.

Players don't always have the leverage to sign where they really want , a lot of factors come into play a key one being the salary cap.  I get your point most players want to play for a winner, but I guess I'm tired of the narrative the Jets can't get good players , coaches etc... because of their past record. 

The Browns have a good roster that was in the playoffs two years ago and I suspect most folks expect Watson to be playing again sooner than later but we’ll see.

The thing is, when it comes to the stars, they usually can choose where they get traded. It’s a player’s league. Woods and  Hill both essentially decided where they were going. And if Metcalf or Brown get traded, I guarantee it will be the same with them.   

I genuinely believe that salvation comes from within. We have to draft better and develop our own homegrown talent. 

2 hours ago, LAD_Brooklyn said:

We didn't pass up on Cooper. The Cowboys pass up on giving us the flexibility to re-work his deal before agreeing to a trade. 

Jets didn't want to re-do his contract. They wanted Dallas to pick up some of his 20M salary this year, not sure but I think it was 8M. Looks like a mistake passing on Cooper.

1 minute ago, slimjasi said:

The Browns have a good roster that was in the playoffs two years ago and I suspect most folks expect Watson to be playing again sooner than later but we’ll see.

The thing is, when it comes to the stars, they usually can choose where they get traded. It’s a player’s league. Woods and  Hill both essentially decided where they were going. And if Metcalf or Brown get traded, I guarantee it will be the same with them.   

I genuinely believe that salvation comes from within. We have to draft better and develop our own homegrown talent. 

Right but those are in trade scenarios where players under contract may have more of a say . When it comes down to FA , the players are usually going to be tempted by the highest bidder, 

2 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

Right but those are in trade scenarios where players under contract may have more of a say . When it comes down to FA , the players are usually going to be tempted by the highest bidder, 

definitely, but the problem is, with the NFL cap as soft as it is, too many good teams can match offers they want to match. 

8 minutes ago, Big_Slick said:

Jets didn't want to re-do his contract. They wanted Dallas to pick up some of his 20M salary this year, not sure but I think it was 8M. Looks like a mistake passing on Cooper.

Why? Cooper had no guaranteed left on his deal for the Cowboys to pick up anything. What the Jets didn’t want was his $20M cap hit 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, nj meadowlands said:

Garrett Wilson or George Pickens, please.

Jets should one million percent take George Pickens if their background checks come back clean.  Round 1 beast in terms of talent.  Injured last season and team suspension are red flags.

funny the hate on this guy-he would be our number 1 wr and it is not even close-last time we had a 1000+ yard wr season was 2015

cooks- 1000 yards + last 6 of 7 years including last year  and with a trash team

in his wildest dreams c davis is not near the level of player cooks is

I would take cooks in a heart beat(if he would be willing to come here)

• Upvote 4

only in jet land do fans think a consistent 1000 yard wr is not worth adding to the roster -he is light years better than Davis Berrios Cole Mimsy (I know I know he is just learning the system still) and cooks >Moore (who gives us hope ) but he is not in the same league with cooks right now

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, GreenFish said:

Reading through some Texans message boards and this is what their fans think

1st: would like a 1st but dont expect it

2nd: they think this is reasonable

3rd: minimum compensation

4th: not worth it

I have to agree with them on a 4th not being worth it. They have enough draft capital. Better to keep Cooks and support their young QB.

He’s in the last year of his contract there. If they think one last year is worth more than a fourth round pick, that’s fine. It’s debatable. I wouldn’t offer any more than that, though, because of his age and injury history. And I’d need to get a two year extension worked out, too. That said, I’d be very happy to get that done. 

• Upvote 1

The fact that JD's name keeps popping up everywhere a WR is even remotely hinted at being available via trade tells me he is not that excited about using a 1st round pick on this year's WR class.  No way he drains his sacred cap space for proven talent if he believes one of these young guys coming in on a rookie deal is the answer...

• Upvote 1

cooks makes sense because he's got one season on his contract as long as it's a 4th or 5th round pick.  he's a better receiver than any they've got right now. after this season the jets could re-sign or not.  and he probably wouldn't require a salary in the range of hill or adams or any of the other top guys.  

10 minutes ago, peekskill68 said:

The fact that JD's name keeps popping up everywhere a WR is even remotely hinted at being available via trade tells me he is not that excited about using a 1st round pick on this year's WR class.  No way he drains his sacred cap space for proven talent if he believes one of these young guys coming in on a rookie deal is the answer...

Interesting take. Hadn't thought about it that way.

3 hours ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

Does he have a no trade clause?

If not, what is he going to do, retire?

No, but when the teams get permission to speak to him prior to approving the trade, he can say something along the lines of "you can trade for me but I will not sign an extension / I will hold out." I don't want to play for your team and this will be a headache for you if you trade for me." That would likely make the team willing to pay up for him question if they still want to go through with any deal with the texans. Cooks isn't some bottom of the barrel player that is just happy to be in the league. 

And honestly, I can't blame the guy. For as good as he is, he's been getting passed around like nobody we've really seen before. He's never really had the chance to see his true worth on the open market.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Joe Jets fan said:

He has not been the same since getting his Mellon squashed.  
that’s why he keeps getting traded.  He one hit from no knowing who he is.   

I really hope this does not happen unless for next to nothing. 

1000  yards 6 of last 7 years-his production basically doubles that of moore who folks are salivating over