Let's See If We Can Remember Who Praised JD

2 hours ago, THE BARON said:

I also was on record saying that I felt Thibs was a potential bust.  The Jets passed and the Giants didnt.  Let's see who was right and who was wrong about that. 

I am pretty sure that Assman is already crying on his radio show.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Jets Voice of Reason said:

Last night was the first time in a while where I didn't internally panic every time the Jets were up to pick dreading a horrendous reach or taking positions that don't make sense from a roster building standpoint. They know what they're doing. They know what fits their system and they're doing it with high-floor players and high football character guys.

Also it's nice to not feel gas-lit the whole time. The previous GMs were absolute morons for not understanding how to address needs that the board has been screaming about for years. First WR taken in the first round since Santana Moss? Like wtf is that.

Jeremiah was kinda giving the picks away, I thought. While I was still frightened that they might take Ekwonu, he was saying it had to be Sauce with no mention of the OL. Definitely relaxed a lot after that pick. 

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, slats said:

I wanted Ekwonu gone in the first three picks, but was absolutely thrilled when JD demonstrated that he did not need to be saved from himself as I feared. Then when the three OTs went between 5-9, I was psyched. Then he traded back up and didn’t take an OL again! Oh my gosh, it was beautiful. 

Either the talk about the Jets brass wanting to move on from Becton was inflated, or perhaps they believe they can filed a decent offensive line even if he flakes out ??? 

7 minutes ago, BUM-KNEE said:

I always thought JD was the guy for the job, now lets see if Saleh is the guy.

I think Salleh will get better with time.  He wants to be a complete HC rather than just a guy that runs the offense or defense. He had a lot on his plate for a first year coach.  He looked very much to be a smart, stable guy through it all.  

I'm not too sure about Wilson, though.  That is the big mystery for me.  With the new WR, two new TE's and another year under his belt, Wilson needs to show progress.  By game three we need to see clearly that he can play the position.  He does not have to be a star, but he's got to be solid.  If you dont see it by game three, we probably never will. 

• Upvote 2

I love the Sauce pick, I am OK with Wilson (prefered Burks for his size) and I think the JJ pick was a great value. If they live up to the hype,  JD is a God Send. I will say he seems to do what is right for the team. Took the best player with one pick, took a player to help his QB with the second, and got a player that helps his HC with what he wants  on D with a third. If we get Hall, There will be no more excuses for the O. 

• Upvote 4

Last night went really well.

Still not a JD supporter. Period. 

You win on the field, not on draft day. The Jets have "won the draft" more times than I can remember. 

When the winning happens, I will gladly congratulate him. 

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

What is the alternative if JD fails?  Putting the search back into the brainless-clueless Johnsons again?  Oh Gods 'O Canton...don't be that cruel and keep punishing us tortured Jets fans with that again!

JD...in comparison to what Jets had as the visionary GMs the previous decade...was a breath of fresh air.  If...JD looks like a duck...waddles like a duck...quacks like one too...then for me he's a legit GM for sure.  

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

Either the talk about the Jets brass wanting to move on from Becton was inflated, or perhaps they believe they can filed a decent offensive line even if he flakes out ??? 

@T0mShane has a way of amplifying his agenda du jour. This place also puts way too much emphasis on the OL. There are good OTs still available in free agency if they want some depth, but I didn’t think Joe Douglas was gonna be in a rush to dump his first ever draft pick. The players he took all move the needle much further than swapping Becton for Ekwonu. 

• Upvote 3

8 minutes ago, undertow said:

JD had a terrible first year and deserved criticism but he has followed that up with have two solid years in a row....some of us don't hero worship others and just call balls and strikes.  The time has come now for the team to win games. 

I think douglas has grown as a gm in the past 2 yrs.  I do think he learned a valuable lesson about trading back and taking mims when he could have had better wrs, and we’ve seen how he traded up for avt and jj to get his guy.  

• Upvote 2

40 minutes ago, slats said:

I wanted Ekwonu gone in the first three picks, but was absolutely thrilled when JD demonstrated that he did not need to be saved from himself as I feared. Then when the three OTs went between 5-9, I was psyched. Then he traded back up and didn’t take an OL again! Oh my gosh, it was beautiful. 

This was a masterclass on navigating the first round. He got the top corner, got his receiver right as the run was starting, and gambled that edge would fall. Joe won big. 

• Upvote 2

22 minutes ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

He’s layering this roster like a bean dip.

The man is already thinking two years in advance and is maneuvering the bean dip accordingly.  

JD is going to get a statue here. 

There have certainly been several ... erections ... in his honor lately! :D 

1 minute ago, Augustiniak said:

I think douglas has grown as a gm in the past 2 yrs.  I do think he learned a valuable lesson about trading back and taking mims when he could have had better wrs, and we’ve seen how he traded up for avt and jj to get his guy.  

One of the things that has really won me over is his willingness to move all around the board...initially I thought he was just a PFF stooge who just liked to trade down and collect picks....I like that he trusts his scouts and scouting and goes after guys they identify. 

1 minute ago, PS17 said:

This was a masterclass on navigating the first round. He got the top corner, got his receiver right as the run was starting, and gambled that edge would fall. Joe won big. 

Indeed it was.  Also like how douglas didn’t grossly overpay in either draft capital or salary to acquire deebo, and simply took his favorite wr who is younger and cheaper. 

I go back to what saleh said at the combine about edge rushers, he said there’s a lot of good ones but not a chase young.  That comment said a lot about the jets draft philosophy, they did not feel compelled to get an edge right away and it allowed them to address 2 other severe positions of need.

• Upvote 2