Rumor: Deshaun Watson 3-4 week suspension

1 hour ago, ZachEY said:

My favorite part is where it's law school... for morons... as evidenced...

You mean like where Tom spins stories about how grand juries and lawyers work, despite not being a lawyer, having no education in law, and zero experience with grand juries? That kinda moron?

The NFL is getting around to its investigation 

The trip comes immediately on the heels of Watson being interviewed Monday through Wednesday in Houston by NFL investigators as part of their ongoing review of 24 massage therapists accusing him of sexual misconduct, including 22 who have civil suits pending.

The investigation is being led by NFL attorney Lisa Friel, and discipline will be initially determined by former U.S. District Judge Sue L. Robinson. NFL spokesman Brian McCarthy said Tuesday in an email response there’s no timetable for a decision on any sanctions, which can include a finite or indefinite suspension, a fine, or a combination of the two, or banishment from the NFL with an opportunity to reapply. Discipline may also include a probationary period with conditions that must be met for reinstatement or continued participation.

• Upvote 1

On 5/18/2022 at 8:43 AM, slats said:

Yes, it’s remarkably easy to prosecute sexual assault cases. That’s why women love coming forward. It’s always a win-win for them. 

True but its not like its a party for the guy who is accused and assumed to be guilty before the trial.   Basically you are guilty until proven innocent in this political environment. Elon  Musk is dealing with this now. 

• Upvote 1

The longer we wait to hear the results and possible suspension, the better the chance he will play week two.

If the suspension comes later in the summer and he appeals, the appeal might not be decided until week 4 or 6 or 10. 

9 minutes ago, IndianaJet said:

The longer we wait to hear the results and possible suspension, the better the chance he will play week two.

If the suspension comes later in the summer and he appeals, the appeal might not be decided until week 4 or 6 or 10. 

Browns have Panthers, Jets, Steelers, Falcons as their first four. If a suspension comes down, Watson is best served missing those four cupcakes instead of dragging it out, unless the suspension is 6 or more games. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

Browns have Panthers, Jets, Steelers, Falcons as their first four. If a suspension comes down, Watson is best served missing those four cupcakes instead of dragging it out, unless the suspension is 6 or more games. 

Almost as if the league went out of their way to do the Browns a solid on their way to pretending that they’re going to issue some sort of appropriate sentence. Then, of course, his base salary this year is $1M (as to opposed the $46M it is the next four years) so the suspension won’t hurt him in the pocketbook, either. The whole thing is a little gross. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

52 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I’m going to go out on a limb and guess that the suspension will be 6 or more games.

accusers are doing interviews again. Watson has a summer of scrutiny ahead. 

• Upvote 1

On 5/18/2022 at 3:03 PM, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

It's a home game for the Browns.

This would make things easier obviously, but still far from a layup.  Brissett is a competent backup.

Still, would be sad to drop to 0-2 with a loss to a backup QB.

The Browns apparently asked the NFL to do them a solid by requesting (perceived, at least) cupcake matchups early in the season.

The Browns had a top 5 defense and arguably the best running game in the league with Chubb and Hunt. It’s a tough game even without Watson.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, Biggs said:

Watched the real sports interview with 2 victims.   My conclusion, Watson is slimy but to date there isn’t evidence he is a criminal.   I believe Watson sought them out for sex.   He behaved inappropriately.   If a jury wants to award damages to the victims no issue.  I don’t think the NFL should get involved.  

There is an element of opportunism by some of the victims.  There’s also a predatory aspect to the way Watson books his messages.  A pro athlete with Watson money can afford a trainer, chef and masseuse.   He clearly searches for female therapists for other reasons.  I suspect he is on his way to being a sexual predator.   There simply isn’t enough evidence to date to conclude that.  

Best post of the thread.   

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Biggs said:

Watched the real sports interview with 2 victims.   My conclusion, Watson is slimy but to date there isn’t evidence he is a criminal.   I believe Watson sought them out for sex.   He behaved inappropriately.   If a jury wants to award damages to the victims no issue.  I don’t think the NFL should get involved.  

There is an element of opportunism by some of the victims.  There’s also a predatory aspect to the way Watson books his messages.  A pro athlete with Watson money can afford a trainer, chef and masseuse.   He clearly searches for female therapists for other reasons.  I suspect he is on his way to being a sexual predator.   There simply isn’t enough evidence to date to conclude that.  

What level of proof do you feel the league should need to punish Watson? Criminal level proof in these types of cases is extremely difficult to put together without DNA evidence. If a civil jury finds him guilty, you don’t think the league should get involved? I would have to strongly disagree there. The nature of the offenses, the number of the accusers, and the female problems the league has recently had to endure all would point to a rather significant suspension, IMHO. A slap on the wrist would be a bad look, even though it won’t effect Watson monetarily one little bit. What’s half a million when you have 230 of them fully guaranteed? 

8 minutes ago, maury77 said:

I was a municipal prosecutor in New Jersey for 12 years and I find this discussion between you guys to be interesting. Always good to see a layperson’s perspective.

I find these laypeople to be disgusting, but please remind them how on-point I’ve been on these nuanced legal matters from the beginning.

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, slats said:

What level of proof do you feel the league should need to punish Watson? Criminal level proof in these types of cases is extremely difficult to put together without DNA evidence. If a civil jury finds him guilty, you don’t think the league should get involved? I would have to strongly disagree there. The nature of the offenses, the number of the accusers, and the female problems the league has recently had to endure all would point to a rather significant suspension, IMHO. A slap on the wrist would be a bad look, even though it won’t effect Watson monetarily one little bit. What’s half a million when you have 230 of them fully guaranteed? 

Civil litigation doesn't determine guilt or innocence.  It determines liability for injuries.   NFL action might influence a potential jury pool.  They should stay out of it.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Biggs said:

Hasn't th league had a history of involvment in things that are slimy and inappropriate, but not necessarily illegal?  There would be no reason they have to stop now.  From the article I read, he is well past being on his way.  Wasn't there a bit where somebody offered to find him massuese that would provide his "special benefits" but he specifically wanted a regular massuese and then kept trying to get over?

• Upvote 1

Just now, #27TheDominator said:

Hasn't th league had a history of involvment in things that are slimy and inappropriate, but not necessarily illegal?  There would be no reason they have to stop now.  From the article I read, he is well past being on his way.  Wasn't there a bit where somebody offered to find him massuese that would provide his "special benefits" but he specifically wanted a regular massuese and then kept trying to get over?

The league history of punishing players for behavior is generally unequally applied and poorly articulated.  They have also tended to treat players a lot more cavalierly than ownership or management.   League history isn't very compelling.   If anything it demonstates that the NFL is simply protecting itself based on public relations not actual offenses.   Was Kraft suspended by the league?  I don't think he was?

League history is one of the reasons I don't want them involved.  These women are represented and will be compesated for damages if there were damages.   If he's criminally indicted at some point a suspension pending the outcome is probably appropriate. 

• Upvote 1

The HBO Real Sports interview of some of the accusers is going to make it really tough for the NFL to go easy on Watson. It's the NFL and Watson is a QB so anything is possible, but a 4 game suspension would be the minimum I see the NFL handing out. Trevor Bauer was suspended the entire 2022 season for sexual assault charges that also never ended up getting prosecuted. 

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

The HBO Real Sports interview of some of the accusers is going to make it really tough for the NFL to go easy on Watson. It's the NFL and Watson is a QB so anything is possible, but a 4 game suspension would be the minimum I see the NFL handing out. Trevor Bauer was suspended the entire 2022 season for sexual assault charges that also never ended up getting prosecuted. 

I didn't find the interviews particularly compelling.  If anything I thought it would be much worse.  

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

i dont think we can compare Watson to Bauer cause we dont really know what happened. the NFL and MLB did there own investigations and are probably privy to Law Enforcements investigations. they have a really good idea so if MLB gave Bauer a year i think when we find out what really happened most of us will agree with that suspension. 

the NFL isnt going to want to look bad so if they do give Watson 4 games then it probably isnt no where as bad as what Bauer did. 

3 hours ago, T0mShane said:

I find these laypeople to be disgusting, but please remind them how on-point I’ve been on these nuanced legal matters from the beginning.

Your brilliance is so apparent that it would be a waste of time attempting to remind the blind of this fact. 

• Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Agreed. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Biggs said:

Civil litigation doesn't determine guilt or innocence.  It determines liability for injuries.   NFL action might influence a potential jury pool.  They should stay out of it.

Why do people not get this: THE NFL ONLY HAS TO THINK IT IS MORE LIKELY THAN NOT THAT HE COMMITTED THESE ACTS. Guilt by trial is utterly irrelevant. Some posters seem to think his behavior is OK, but there is a 100% chance this guy is a serial sexual predator.

And, the whole contract Cleveland gave him was like a gigantic FU to the NFL and pretty much all women.

He should be banned indefinitely with the right to apply for reinstatement in a couple years.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

8 hours ago, Biggs said:

So basically he has a predatory element aspect to the way he booked his massages, you feel he is booking massages trying to get sex, sexually assaulted most of them and "he's on his way to being a sexual predator"? And then the NFL should not get involve because rape cases are almost impossible to get convictions without exceptional amounts of evidence, which means he's not guilty. You seem to have believed the victims. Look it is insanely simple to find a happy ending massage. But he wanted to prey and dominate on legitimate masseuses. Fuuck this guy. And by the way there are more than 22 claims, some of them that have corroborated want nothing. The whole thing is repulsive. But he's good at football so let's circle the f-ing Wagons.

• Upvote 3

I think it's more a stain on the NFL shield thing ... he should get a season ban ... will probably get 6-8 games ... he didnt kill/rape/beat anyone ... hes basically a 'John' looking for a rub n tug.

If there were assault I'd feel a lot different.

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Why do people not get this: THE NFL ONLY HAS TO THINK IT IS MORE LIKELY THAN NOT THAT HE COMMITTED THESE ACTS. Guilt by trial is utterly irrelevant. Some posters seem to think his behavior is OK, but there is a 100% chance this guy is a serial sexual predator.

And, the whole contract Cleveland gave him was like a gigantic FU to the NFL and pretty much all women.

He should be banned indefinitely with the right to apply for reinstatement in a couple years.

The NFL is in bed with the biggest gambling operations in the world.  Bob Kraft solicited minors.  Dan Snyder and Jerry Jones used their employees as private call girls for corporate sponsors.  

I don't believe the NFL has any business in the ethics and morality businesss.   The whole conduct detrimental to the game concept went out the window when they opened up in Vegas and got in bed with the gaming community.  

Leave it to criminal and civil litigation.  Watson will go down eventually in the appropriate venue.  The NFL isn't the appropriate venue.  

12 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Link? 

That is a pretty big charge. 

You're correct he was charged with soliciting a prostitute.  The place he went to was being investigated as a sex trafficing ring.  He was criminally charged although the charges were dropped.  There is no doubt he was soliciting prostitutes.   There wasn't mention of minors involved. 

• Upvote 2