Around the League - notable signings

nycdan

1 minute ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

Thank you Joe Douglass!!! Thank …. oh forget it…

I think we are at least one more season away from a quality roster across the board. I am still worried about OL, Safety and LB both starting and depth. But so nice to see a lot of the depth in other areas.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Lith said:

7: Dunn, Wildgoose, Pinnock, Guidry, Wesco, Edoga and Phillps.

Which means, either we have done a really nice job of accumulating talent, or we are letting the wrong guys go.  Half the board will think its the former, the other half will think the latter.

Can I offer up my own take, and suggest that the Jets really proved themselves to have almost every single player of theirs totally capable of being the 51st to 53rd best players on a team?

Nah, I'm (mostly) kidding....... I think.

1 hour ago, C Mart said:

All those placed on waivers yesterday that weren’t claimed today are now FAs to sign with any team, including any PS. 

Today a team like the Bears that claimed 6 players may waive a player they kept yesterday. That waived player now goes through the waiver process.  If he isn’t claimed by any team tomorrow he then becomes a FA. 

2 hours ago, kdels62 said:

Davis likely. Shepherd would’ve been signed. Rankins definitely. A 34yo Curry probably not.

Guys like shepherd and rankins from his play last year would be easily replaced but i can understand those to an extent.

The big joke is Curry, keeping him and exposing other players is pure idiocy, as in a flat out stupid football decision that high level guys should not make.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

This is obviously a step in the right direction.  OTOH, having the most waiver claims is not indicative of having the best roster.  It is indicative of having the best bottom of the roster.  Now it is time to get more top heavy.  

Probably. It could also be indicative of having a GM that is making stupid roster cuts. I think it's more likely we just have a better bottom of the roster now but we are the Jets so ...

27 minutes ago, Alka said:

I'm not sure how it works.  But I think you make your waiver claim, and then based upon whoever else makes a waiver claim on that player, the team with the lowest winning percentage that makes the claim gets that player.  So, we can make numerous claims, but not end up with any players based upon the team records.

That's basically what I said.

The only teams that beat out the Jets in priority are the Jags, Lions and Texans.  Ergo - if the Jets had made a claim for anyone on that list, that was not awarded to Jags, Lions or the Texans, then they would be a Jet.

For example - the Falcons were awarded Matt Dickerson DT who was waived by KC.  That means the Jets DID NOT make a claim for him, because if they had, Matt Dickerson would be a Jet now, instead of a Falcon.

So the only players the Jets could have made a claim for, but did not get, would have been those awarded to the Jags, Lions or Texans.  Anyone else you see on that list, if the Jets had made a claim for them, they would be a Jet right now.

41 minutes ago, bostonmajet said:

I think we are at least one more season away from a quality roster across the board. I am still worried about OL, Safety and LB both starting and depth. But so nice to see a lot of the depth in other areas.

Agreed.  But now we are just upgrading a few spots and patching a few holes.  Not backfilling a massive crater.  Very different feel.

5 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

I am beating a dead horse.  There were multiple players that the Jets could have waived and still signed to the PS and kept Pinnock.  

I guarantee you that, for at least 8 games, the FS play is a joke this season with Joyner/Davis ineffective and/or injured and the Jets signing players literally off street to play the position.

Ty Johnson, Vinny Curry.  

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

1 minute ago, varjet said:

I am beating a dead horse.  There were multiple players that the Jets could have waived and still signed to the PS and kept Pinnock.  

I guarantee you that, for at least 8 games, the FS play is a joke this season with Joyner/Davis ineffective and/or injured and the Jets signing players literally off street to play the position.

Ty Johnson, Vinny Curry.  

Yeah, I think what happened here is one of two things.

Jets had so much depth they had to get rid of so many good players

or

Jets made some pretty bad decision and cut the wrong players.

We'll find out soon.  

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

or

We'll find out soon.  

Parks beat Pinnock... Curry goes on IR and they bring parks up.... simple

• Upvote 2

Curry should not be taking up a spot, he has been injured the whole time with the jets.  can cut him and have deal to bring back when healthy.

should of kept Edoga until you have an upgrade, could of cut Ty Johnson no one was picking him up

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Post of the Week 1

41 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

or

We'll find out soon.  

disagree. what are you talking about these players we cut on the very edge of making the team, back ups and back ups of back ups. Other peopel signed them because they think they might be better than thier current back ups, back up. 

None of them are some great player that omg we lost. Full stop.

Sure ty j shoudl be gone or pinnock outplayed the the S we kept, but we are not talking like some huge difference in what we kept or what other teams gained. This whole idea that we made some pretty bad decisions is ridiculous. 

The only thing that happend is some other teams picked up our bubble player cause they were better or thought to be better than thier bubble players.

No one traded for them and they could have easily went unsigned. I swear everything has to be soem big dramatic thing with people. Joe has been adding talent and we are not just starting to get a decent team, its tough getting the top talent filled out - although we are starting to see that, but the back round talent, the back ups and the backup backups are getting better on our squad. 

All this tells us is that Joe has done a good job.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, Darnold's Forehead said:

What's the deal with Jefferson?  He's a 30 yo safety with 4 ints in his career.  We already have Joyner, who at least was very good at one point in his career.

Safety will still be a weakness.  At that point, I think it would have been smarter to hold onto Pinnock and insert him in during the season to have him run with it.  Unless Davis magically does a 180 or "Tony Adams" is the new safety heir.

So much for developing a young secondary.  Outside of Sauce and MCII, we have big FAs and band-aid signings that will lead to more turnover sooner rather than later.  I like our current position for the most part, but I certainly do question the team's hypocritical mantra.

Didn't the Giants just sign Jefferson?  I wonder if they will waive Pinnock now. 

Not sure how I completely missed @Doggin94it posting the exact same thing.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, jbt said:

Curry should not be taking up a spot, he has been injured the whole time with the jets.  can cut him and have deal to bring back when healthy.

should of kept Edoga until you have an upgrade, could of cut Ty Johnson no one was picking him up

Edoga has not progressed since he has been here- terrible move to keep him for not reason, the line is better with out him, he hurts the team byu playing

cant argue with the ty cut, im not sure what thye see in him, the rook and carter are much better cathcing the ball, but hey is he really that much worse than coleman? probably not, they are crap players. 

4 minutes ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

disagree. what are you talking about these players we cut on the very edge of making the team, back ups and back ups of back ups. Other peopel signed them because they think they might be better than thier current back ups, back up. 

None of them are some great player that omg we lost. Full stop.

Sure ty j shoudl be gone or pinnock outplayed the the S we kept, but we are not talking like some huge difference in what we kept or what other teams gained. This whole idea that we made some pretty bad decisions is ridiculous. 

The only thing that happend is some other teams picked up our bubble player cause they were better or thought to be better than thier bubble players.

No one traded for them and they could have easily went unsigned. I swear everything has to be soem big dramatic thing with people. Joe has been adding talent and we are not just starting to get a decent team, its tough getting the top talent filled out - although we are starting to see that, but the back round talent, the back ups and the backup backups are getting better on our squad. 

All this tells us is that Joe has done a good job.

So, what part of what I wrote don't you agree with?  Seemed a pretty aggressive reply.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, munchmemory said:

Kids today would look at us like we were nuts playing that thing.   Think I finally threw out some of my cards from the 60s when I moved out to the West Coast in the 90s.   Fun, cerebral game.

Bad move. I made about $600 selling old cards from the 70's on ebay a few years back

• Upvote 1

Ari Meirov @MySportsUpdate

Notable free agents as teams start focusing on Week 1

WR Odell Beckham Jr

LT Eric Fisher

DT Ndamukong Suh

WR Will Fuller

WR Cole Beasley

CB Joe Haden

DE Jason Pierre-Paul

WR Emmanuel Sanders

WR TY Hilton

CB Chris Harris Jr

S Landon Collins

DT Sheldon Richardson

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

Ari Meirov @MySportsUpdate

The #Cowboys are brining veteran OT Jason Peters for a visit, per @toddarcher

.The former longtime Eagle spent last year in Chicago and started 15 games, earning a very strong 77.5 PFF grade. Still going strong at 40 years old and might be back for another year.

4 minutes ago, C Mart said:

Connie Carberg @ConnieScouts

Listening to @PatKirwan_NFL on @SIRIUSXM

- Said 82% of draft picks 2022 made rosters - But 53 UDFA made teams - more than 6th & 7th rounds combined!

Wow. For the record, a few days after the draft, he had JD on the show. They talked a lot about Clemmons, and JD gushed about him. Kirwin asked what he loved about him and he said he plays every play with violence. Kirwin agreed and said it jumped off the tape when he watched his games last year.