The case for Ashtyn Davis

wediditjoe

Let me preface by saying I’m not a fan of Davis at all, from the day he was drafted I hated the pick and he’s done nothing to change my mind since then. In trying to figure out why they chose him over Pinnock (which not a single person is happy about), I believe it may have to do with his play making ability.

Yes the tackling is high school level and has killed us on numerous occasions, but he did flash some big play ability last year. He had 3 forced fumbles, 2 picks, and a half sack for good measure. Not terrible for a part time safety. So I think the coaches may be thinking along those lines in keeping him… and if he can improve the tackling he’s absolutely good enough to have on the team.

Unfortunately the few times I watched him play in pre season he was still taking awful angels against second and third team players… but maybe there’s hope he can shore that up. I still think he may be cut for Tartt, Harris, or Jefferson in the next few days though, which I would welcome.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, wediditjoe said:

Let me preface by saying I’m not a fan of Davis at all, from the day he was drafted I hated the pick and he’s done nothing to change my mind since then. In trying to figure out why they chose him over Pinnock (which not a single person is happy about), I believe it may have to do with his play making ability.

Yes the tackling is high school level and has killed us on numerous occasions, but he did flash some big play ability last year. He had 3 forced fumbles, 2 picks, and a half sack for good measure. Not terrible for a part time safety. So I think the coaches may be thinking along those lines in keeping him… and if he can improve the tackling he’s absolutely good enough to have on the team.

Unfortunately the few times I watched him play in pre season he was still taking awful angels against second and third team players… but maybe there’s hope he can shore that up. I still think he may be cut for Tartt, Harris, or Jefferson in the next few days though, which I would welcome.

Taking bad angles is instinctive I'm not sure how much that can be changed Letting guys like Pinnock go to keep this scrub is ridiculous

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

People (fans) need to understand that certain players are just more talented than others, the coaches and team brass see and understand this. That's why guys like Ashtyn Davis get more chances and more time to develop than, I dunno, lets say a FA pickup like Parks. We saw this with Mims as well. If the talent is there, guys will get more opportunities. 

One caveat is if you don't show effort or you are a knucklehead or you get in trouble off the field, etc. Then you might be on the chopping block regardless of talent. I haven't seen that from Davis.     

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, johnnysd said:

Saleh said he had a better body of work. If you go through the cuts there is no clear bias for veterans or clear bias for their own draft picks. I would have kept Pinnock over Davis, but on the other hand they kept 2 UDFAs so they are clearly trying for the best 53. I think for some reason they thought Pinnock would not be claimed, they would put Curry on IR and bring back Pinnock but that failed. From Saleh's own words they were petrified to lose Tony Adams so maybe we should be excited about him as opposed to mad about Davis?

This! Keeping Curry who hasn’t done a thing in 2, 3 years at arguably our deepest position makes no sense to me. Idk if they think he’s an invaluable leader or what but keeping him over a young promising player at a position of need (Pinnock) is gross mismanagement.

• Sympathy 1

5 minutes ago, varjet said:

I have said my peace.   If I were JD, I would have waived Ty Johnson, kept Pinnock and then put Curry on IR and brought Pinnock back.  

Ty is another weird one. He had some terrible games (vs HOU, NO) - but he did make some unbelievable plays throughout the year (vs CIN, TB) that helped us win. Seems like the coaches are looking for playmaking ability which is what my argument for Ashtyn was.

With that being said Ty can still go we don’t need 4 rb’s bruh ?

• Sympathy 1

56 minutes ago, Cyberjet said:

What amazes me is that people assume there is no growth from last year. The coaches see these guys every day and as they say he is also a good special teamer. I don’t get the heartache about this guy

LOL So the coaching staff is the end all be all? Ask the other coaching staffs we have carouseled out of here.

Looked it up with all the complaining about this guy. Davis was on the field for 62% of the defensive snaps and less than 8% of special teams snaps last year. Closest safety to him in snaps was Maye at 30%. Pinnock, playing both safety and CB was at 16%. The coaches like him at safety. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

18 hours ago, Biggs said:

That's what I told my mother when I failed 7th grade geometry.  

You must have been a prodigy, I didn’t take geometry until 10th grade and I was so good at it they brought me back for an encore in 11th grade. Probably wouldn’t be a good safety either.

20 hours ago, slimjasi said:

FYI: Joe Douglas flat out said yesterday that special teams was a major consideration with regards to their decision over which backup safeties to keep on the 53. I'm assuming that's the biggest single reason Davis made the team. 

Came to say this. Sounds like his contributions on special teams was the difference. 

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, slats said:

Looked it up with all the complaining about this guy. Davis was on the field for 62% of the defensive snaps and less than 8% of special teams snaps last year. Closest safety to him in snaps was Maye at 30%. Pinnock, playing both safety and CB was at 16%. The coaches like him at safety. 

That was last year.

we don’t know how they will use him this year. 

49 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

That was last year.

we don’t know how they will use him this year. 

Just pointing out that the dual narratives of “Joe Douglas is trying to save face on a draft pick,” and, “they like him for special teams,” are both incorrect. The coaches like him. Maybe they want to upgrade from him, but they still like him -at a bare minimum- as depth at safety. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

18 hours ago, pointman said:

LOL So the coaching staff is the end all be all? Ask the other coaching staffs we have carouseled out of here.

Your’re  not serious with this response. When it comes to forming a team to their liking and fielding a team to meet their philosophy I would say the coaching staff is the end all be all. Whether the Jetnation experts like it or not the coaches see more know more about these guys than we do.