9-11-2001

freestater

i remember being home that day and the TV cutting into the news that a plane hit the WTC. first i thought it was an accident, then the 2nd plane hit and the whole world changed. i took my girlfriend at the time to Coney Island Hospital to donate blood. i couldn't donate because they were only excepting blood if you knew your type. reminds me i should learn what mine is. only other thing i remember was seeing the smoke from my house all the way in Canarsie. those poor people, may the rest in peace.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

I was on my bread route making normal deliveries....and then my mom called me wondering if i had seen the "accident"...she told me that a plane had accidentally hit one of the towers...

While on the phone with her she witnessed the 2nd strike. Thats when she said that this is no accident.

I couldn't finish work that day.

If iirc it was a Tuesday

I was at a Board meeting in Philadelphia at the time.

To think I was upset at my partners for wanting to drive 30 minutes to Exton to have dinner at Lasorda's instead of where we had planned to have it.  

Then a lady comes out and tells us a plane has crashed into one of the towers.

I remember someone asking if that has ever happened before.

We actually debated this for what I think was 10 minutes before we were told of the second plane.

I remember calling my wife as we ran back to the room where the TVs were all showing it.

My heart goes out to everyone who lost someone that day.

• Upvote 2

Heart breaking day that still seems like yesterday. 

as terrible as it was, I miss the america of September 12, were everyone was willing to help one another and flags lined streets and lawns and properties. There was still fear and sadness, but a sense of closeness to your neighbor that I don’t think has been felt since.

god bless all those lost and who suffered years after from health issues. The ramifications of that day are still effecting many.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

In midtown NYC, remember my boss thinking the 2nd plane might have accidentally flown into the tower due to the smoke from the first (a pretty silly thought).  This was of course before the video came out..

Agree with the patriotic sentiment.  Politicians, the media and our mindless selves tear us apart.  Yet we have exponentially more in common than what separates us.

God Bless America and all who were lost that horrible day.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Jolot said:

Take 10 seconds today to remember what really matters . Family , friends, and loved ones . Being alive and able to argue with each other on this forum is a privilege. Love you all. Go Jets. 

I worked in 1 WTC for many years. Today I walked about 3 miles listening to different accounts on a 911 podcast.  Was actually crying a bit....

Never forget.  

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

Met a friend for dinner in London a few years back and he brought a co-worker who I'd never met.  About half way through dinner my buddy just says to him "You wanna' tell Glenn the story"?  And the guy says, "sure, that's fine".  I had no idea what he was talking about.  For the next hour and a half to two hours he gave me his minute by minute account of what he saw inside the tower he was working in.  I was mezmerized and couldn't sleep when I got home.  I'd never sat and got a first-hand account with a plethora of details.  Pretty sure we sat there until after closing time and I honestly didn't care.  

I post this on FB every year because it's really a story that nobody seems to know about but needs to be a movie.

Edited by AFJF
  • Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 2
  • Post of the Week 2

Can’t believe it was twenty one years ago, driving West on Sunrise hwy listening to the radio and seeing people on mobile phones crying. I went to three wakes over the next week or so where there was no body, just an urn filled with rubble. Just awful.

That time changed me in many ways. I think it’s important to remember the fallen and remember the feeling, but let’s also not forget the innocent members of our community who were of middle eastern descent who were victims of blatant racism and were out and out attacked. It wasn’t all kumbaya for everyone.  There was a lot of darkness too. 

• Sympathy 1

43 minutes ago, usanyj said:

Heart breaking day that still seems like yesterday. 

as terrible as it was, I miss the america of September 12, were everyone was willing to help one another and flags lined streets and lawns and properties. There was still fear and sadness, but a sense of closeness to your neighbor that I don’t think has been felt since.

god bless all those lost and who suffered years after from health issues. The ramifications of that day are still effecting many.

2 hours ago, DetroitRed said:

It’s interesting you guys post this. I’ll never forget someone saying to me a few years ago with tears in their eyes “I wish we could go back to September 12th 2001 when we all anyone wanted to do was help each other.”

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, the Claw said:

but let’s also not forget the innocent members of our community who were of middle eastern descent who were victims of blatant racism and were out and out attacked. It wasn’t all kumbaya for everyone.  There was a lot of darkness too. 

Sorry but this just isn’t on my mind today. Save it for another time. 

7 minutes ago, JustEndTheSuffering said:

It’s interesting you guys post this. I’ll never forget someone saying to me a few years ago with tears in their eyes “I wish we could go back to September 12th 2001 when we all anyone wanted to do was help each other.”

I've been saying that for years.  We're so divided and hateful right now that another tragic event wouldn't have near the same response.

• Upvote 1

I worked next door, at 1 BT Plaza, for about a year.  Did some work in  5 WTC (whatever the lowest rectangular building was). Hung around outside with the smokers on break every day, looking at the towers, ate lunch in the pavilion, caught the crowded ass 1/9 to Penn etc.   Later, when I worked on Wall street, future wife and I would go over to WTC area after lunch for the occasional free concert etc. 

In the laboring portion of my life, earlier, did small jobs in 1 and 2 WTC. It was post the truck bomb, so I HATED being in the loading dock area. 

Was working on Wall street the day it happened. 

Being from Queens, lost a few a few old neighborhood friends, some who worked in the towers, others were firemen. 

No longer pissed about it, just sad. 

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, AFJF said:

I've been saying that for years.  We're so divided and hateful right now that another tragic event wouldn't have near the same response.

I think Americans always come together In times like we witnessed 21 years ago and would hope the response would be the same.  

• Upvote 1

Absolutely indelibly tragic and horrific day. I had just relocated to Raleigh and watched this thing on a 50 inch TV at the office. Was stunned, shocked, scared and confused and pissed off.

The country has since become a divided warzone of extreme political ideologies and the brotherhood once so iconic of the red white and blue is gone.

GOD BLESS ALL THOSE LOST AND THE FAMILIES CUT DOWN THAT DAY.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1