Rationale thoughts on game

4 minutes ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

Add yours …

1. Ballsy performance from Zach who was bad at times and didn’t have much help other times.  Great 4th quarter comeback on the road

2. Play calling didn’t help him, putting him in a lot of third & longs

3. The fast pace, throw on early downs we saw in Q4 intrigues me as a better fit for Zach.  He is not a cerebral QB, he is better thinking less and finding his flow

4. I accept that he will have 2-3 of the worst short passes you’ll ever see IF he can make the BIG plays many here believe he can

5. Critical that the coaches adjust the scheme going forward to Zach’s strengths.  RPO, roll-outs, some no huddle, attacking the 2nd & 3rd levels.  Shame on them if they try to fit him into their scheme!!!!!

6. Only 1 sack behind that line was a big accomplishment by itself

7. Not a great game for the running backs.  Thought both were slow to the few holes that were there.  Also thought they failed to see a few holes, especially Carter

8. Breece needs to work on his hands.  Should have caught the under throw down the sideline.  Bad throw by Zach but good football players need to catch that.  I’m confident they’ll both bounce back 

9. This is a perfect example of not running the ball for running the balls sake.  I was worried about that entering the game.  How about running to the outside sometimes?

10. Great chemistry between Zach and Corey.  Awesome to see and hope it continues 

11. Jets need to start catching tough passes, instead of tipping them in the air or outright dropping them.  1 Int and about 4-5 other drops.  Zach will likely throw a fair share of bad balls until he doesn’t so we can’t rely on the perfect throw.  Might be time for more Berrios if others can’t get in done

11. If Garrett Wilson wants to be a #1, he has to stop dropping catchable balls.  Nice play in breaking up a potential first half Int

12. Why is CJ Mosley playing on third and longs?  How about giving Sherwood a chance?  Thought they drafted him for his coverage ability

13. Happy to see more man coverage.  Shaking my head on not testing a rookie QB with some blitzes but it worked in the end

14. Sauce is a stud, but needs to drastically improve his run defense 

15. Joyner?!?!  Great game, hope the rust is off

We won.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

Legit assessment. 

I do think it's a little tough critiquing the backs. Not that they are above criticism, personally I'm in the same boat and think they are slow to the holes but the Steelers d line were literally standing next to these guys when the ball was handed off.

I was really nice to see a reasonably competent Wilson. He had some great moments. Still a little skittish and bounces out or back very quickly but imo he's improved over last year.

• Upvote 2

Wasn't able to watch most of today's game, so listened, and got to watch some as I was eating lunch. This team is so undisciplined it's not funny. Thank god we won, however stupid penalties are ruining good plays. If the CS can't fix that, then they shouldn't be coaching. All I got to say on that matter. I'm tired of STUPID penalties. 

Just watched the last two drives.   Not sure what happened but our QB looked like a totally different player.   Stood in the pocket and delivered strikes.  Took some heat off the ball when necessary.  No happy feet at all.  Almost odd to slow down like that when game is at its hottest but I think that’s a really good sign.  Now they have to drill into him that this is how he should be playing all the time.   

• Upvote 1

Just now, jetstream23 said:

Would Joe Flacco have been killed or simply carted off the field today? Zach bailed out this offensive line numerous times. Could easily have been five or six sacks. 

Zach knows exactly what to do when the line fails after playing in that Bills game. He's never taking that many sacks in a game again if he can help it

Zach definitely needs to get better but the late comeback has to be huge for him and the confidence of the team in him.   He was calm, accurate, made good decisions and be honest - every jet fan expected the disaster play that didn’t happen.  
i thought the underthrow to hall was the big miss he can’t have.  That’s a TD and the off schedule plays he’s supposed to make.   The int at the end of the half was the other big miss, otherwise pretty good day for not playing in 6 weeks 

• Upvote 2

I also thought the Saleh coached a hell of a good 4th quarter - mostly last half of 4th quarter. In fact, I think he out coached Tomlinson. He didn't panic and he (and LaFluer) had a good plan on O. Good clock management as he had his TOs and Tomlinson was down to 1. Then the D held when they needed to. When fans were screaming for them to hurry up, the Jets played it calmly and scored the go ahead TD with 12 seconds left. All the Steelers could do was throw a hail marry at the end.

Sure, he made his share of mistakes, even in the 4th quarry, but nice plan and execution by the CS.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

Add yours …

1. Ballsy performance from Zach who was bad at times and didn’t have much help other times.  Great 4th quarter comeback on the road

2. Play calling didn’t help him, putting him in a lot of third & longs

3. The fast pace, throw on early downs we saw in Q4 intrigues me as a better fit for Zach.  He is not a cerebral QB, he is better thinking less and finding his flow

4. I accept that he will have 2-3 of the worst short passes you’ll ever see IF he can make the BIG plays many here believe he can

5. Critical that the coaches adjust the scheme going forward to Zach’s strengths.  RPO, roll-outs, some no huddle, attacking the 2nd & 3rd levels.  Shame on them if they try to fit him into their scheme!!!!!

6. Only 1 sack behind that line was a big accomplishment by itself

7. Not a great game for the running backs.  Thought both were slow to the few holes that were there.  Also thought they failed to see a few holes, especially Carter

8. Breece needs to work on his hands.  Should have caught the under throw down the sideline.  Bad throw by Zach but good football players need to catch that.  I’m confident they’ll both bounce back 

9. This is a perfect example of not running the ball for running the balls sake.  I was worried about that entering the game.  How about running to the outside sometimes?

10. Great chemistry between Zach and Corey.  Awesome to see and hope it continues 

11. Jets need to start catching tough passes, instead of tipping them in the air or outright dropping them.  1 Int and about 4-5 other drops.  Zach will likely throw a fair share of bad balls until he doesn’t so we can’t rely on the perfect throw.  Might be time for more Berrios if others can’t get in done

11. If Garrett Wilson wants to be a #1, he has to stop dropping catchable balls.  Nice play in breaking up a potential first half Int

12. Why is CJ Mosley playing on third and longs?  How about giving Sherwood a chance?  Thought they drafted him for his coverage ability

13. Happy to see more man coverage.  Shaking my head on not testing a rookie QB with some blitzes but it worked in the end

14. Sauce is a stud, but needs to drastically improve his run defense 

15. Joyner?!?!  Great game, hope the rust is off

I think you meant "Rational thoughts"

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Irish Jet said:

Zach holds on to the ball too long. 

Yea, but he also throws it away instead of taking a 30 yard sack or get an INT by throwing it too fast. To me it looks like he's taught himself how to fix an easier problem that will make life easier until he can get the bigger problem solved.

But you're totally right, and if he doesn't fix it sooner or later it will probably be his downfall. 

1 hour ago, slimjasi said:

Yep

IMO that’s his biggest single issue - an issue common with young QBs 

he has to develop the confidence to be more decisive earlier in the shot clock and rely on that arm of his 

Been saying since game one last season.  Wilson's problem is between his ears.  Good arm, good athleticism.   BUT.   A QB should not do anything with the football using his arms or legs unless he has reasoned it out first in his mind.  Or, as I also like to put it, a good QB starts throwing the ball before the center snaps it.  Wilson's play has to exist more in his reasoning in that very short time between the line setting and the time he takes the snap. And from that point, be absolutely deliberate. 

2 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

Would Joe Flacco have been killed or simply carted off the field today? Zach bailed out this offensive line numerous times. Could easily have been five or six sacks. 

That’s an absurd stat.

You pretty much hit all the key points.

Zach showed the skills/talent that got some of us excited. His ability to move and pressure the defense with his legs is a plus. I didn't like that he still struggles with short passes. I'm looking forward to seeing some film breakdown.

Our defense came to play today. Next week is a big test for them, especially our secondary.

Not being able to hit short passes and not being able to consistently run the ball is an issue. Kind of need one of those to work in order to keep the defense off balance.

• Upvote 1