Bills Contact Panthers about McCaffery

Vudu

3 minutes ago, hawk said:

I would gather that this was leaked to get others involved.  Perhaps, the bills leaked it, but if he is tradeable now it was probably leaked by Carolina.

I don't really know who would be a better option for them than the Bills.  I can't see a struggling team give up the draft capital.

It could help them improve their own draft pick by trading him, since he is their only real threat to win games by putting the team on his back.  Without him they have to be the odds on favorite for the #1 pick, thus getting their QB and adding draft capital.

Interesting nevertheless

Carolina is clearly in firesale/rebuild mode and would love as many draft picks as possible.  

28 minutes ago, hawk said:

I would gather that this was leaked to get others involved.  Perhaps, the bills leaked it, but if he is tradeable now it was probably leaked by Carolina.

I don't really know who would be a better option for them than the Bills.  I can't see a struggling team give up the draft capital.

It could help them improve their own draft pick by trading him, since he is their only real threat to win games by putting the team on his back.  Without him they have to be the odds on favorite for the #1 pick, thus getting their QB and adding draft capital.

Interesting nevertheless

True, I wasn't thinking of that.

I don't like the idea of tanking (in no small part because you don't know which QB prospect will be the good one anyway), let alone from this early in the season. But when a team is dead-set on drafting a QB in round 1 they either want as high an initial pick as they can get and/or the ammo to move up to get the one they really want. 

I just also don't like the idea of tanking by purging the team of assets that would help that rookie QB more than a fellow rookie (or lesser veteran) in his place. I get adding high draft picks via the purging of a safety (like the Jets did), or an ILB, or an edge rusher or corner who likely has just 1 more decent year left before losing a step robs him of what makes him so special.

I'm not much of a "RB first" guy at all when starting a rebuild, but I do like the kitchen sink strategy when onboarding a rookie QB. Better to have 1-2 too many currently-good/great players around him than 1 too few.

• Upvote 2

Two things

Some on the Bill‘s message boards were apoplectic that they didn’t draft Breece hall in the first round and instead took Kaiir Elam (CB)

Josh Allen’s mega contract kicks in next year along with Von Miller.  I don’t know how they keep the bulk of this team together in 2023 and beyond.  Maybe it really is a push all the chips in this year and finally get that Superbowl

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

19 minutes ago, BigRy56 said:

If I’m JD I think I’d be interested in calling for Brian Burns or Jeremy Chinn

Love Brian Burns. He was my #1 guy even ahead of Bosa that draft. I was wrong about Bosa. He’s been more durable than I expected.

I wouldn’t trade for Burns though. He’s up for a contract and I really want us to take care of our guys. Quinnen needs to be resigned.

Chinn would be a good addition though. Not sexy but I would also look at Tommy Tremble for that 4th TE/FB spot. Both these guys are young and have the right mentality. 

• Upvote 1

Bills think they're a Super Bowl contender now and the next few years.  

That's exactly the time to murder your cap space to get pieces to get you over the hump to a title win.

I just wonder if C.M. has all that much left to be a real difference-maker after years of over-use and abuse and injury.

1 hour ago, ChewyandtheJets said:

Think you guys are misreading this.   I believe Carolina would give him away for little draft compensation just to get his salary off the books.  Paying an oft injured RB huge money for a last place team is not a good allocation.   Would be smart move by bills if only for a 1 1/2 years.  

This

1 minute ago, Warfish said:

That's exactly the time to murder your cap space to get pieces to get you over the hump to a title win.

I just wonder if C.M. has all that much left to be a real difference-maker after years of over-use and abuse and injury.

This is a terrible idea.  Look at the Rams.  They will never recover from selling their soul to the devil to win a super bowl.

I dont want a Super Bowl if it is going to lead to 10 years of terrible football and just bringing in hired guns

Joe D is here to build sustainable success and win multiple Super Bowls.  Bills would be foolish to trade for McCaffery.  I hope they do.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I’d say no. Unless they are going to Gronk him. Sign him and play him here and there just to keep his legs fresh or obviously when they need him. Then break him out in the playoffs, then grind him to dust for everything he is worth in the Super Bowl. 

• Upvote 2

Just now, Joe W. Namath said:

This is a terrible idea.  Look at the Rams.  They will never recover from selling their soul to the devil to win a super bowl.

I dont want a Super Bowl if it is going to lead to 10 years of terrible football and just bringing in hired guns

Joe D is here to build sustainable success and win multiple Super Bowls.  Bills would be foolish to trade for McCaffery.  I hope they do.

We just had a Super Bowl lead to 52 years of terrible football. Ten years seems like a cakewalk. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

But they won a Super Bowl.

To each their own.  I want a Super Bowl more than anything.

And the "10 years" is far from a sure thing.

Ok.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

I would rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints.

30 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

True, I wasn't thinking of that.

I don't like the idea of tanking (in no small part because you don't know which QB prospect will be the good one anyway), let alone from this early in the season. But when a team is dead-set on drafting a QB in round 1 they either want as high an initial pick as they can get and/or the ammo to move up to get the one they really want. 

I just also don't like the idea of tanking by purging the team of assets that would help that rookie QB more than a fellow rookie (or lesser veteran) in his place. I get adding high draft picks via the purging of a safety (like the Jets did), or an ILB, or an edge rusher or corner who likely has just 1 more decent year left before losing a step robs him of what makes him so special.

I'm not much of a "RB first" guy at all when starting a rebuild, but I do like the kitchen sink strategy when onboarding a rookie QB. Better to have 1-2 too many currently-good/great players around him than 1 too few.

I am not a fan of teams "tanking".  I am not certain that this would be a "tank" move per se.

He has played 10 games the past 2 years, and although I agree with putting the pieces in place before the QB, you have to weigh the possibility he is injured again and won't be available for that QB anyway (obviously injuries happen and can happen to anyone). Hell, with the me first attitude of the NFL at times, he may not want to go through a rebuild and requests a trade.  There hasn't been any indication he is that type, but it has to be weighed in also.

In addition,  his contract is absurd.  They really screwed themselves there.  All that prorated money, $8 million in signing, 9 in restructure? However, they save $12 million in new money.

If I'm the GM on the verge of a fire sale, I am trading him if I get first possibly more.  He is one of the most exciting players in the league, and is not replaceable if in contention.  Rebuild, there will be other less exciting players that can help.

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, David Harris said:

Two things

Some on the Bill‘s message boards were apoplectic that they didn’t draft Breece hall in the first round and instead took Kaiir Elam (CB)

Josh Allen’s mega contract kicks in next year along with Von Miller.  I don’t know how they keep the bulk of this team together in 2023 and beyond.  Maybe it really is a push all the chips in this year and finally get that Superbowl

Von is 33. Dudes a short term hire. And we all know Josh is about to be a draft bust.

38 minutes ago, David Harris said:

Two things

This is precisely what this rumor tells me as well.

The Bills are thinking as an organization that this might be their very best chance to win it all and they need to go for it now!

• Sympathy 1

I can't blame BUF for trying to stack everything in their favor for the inevitable repeat showdown against KC in the playoffs.   Whether anything they do now is going to make a difference is hard to say.  It feels like KC and BUF both scored on every drive at the end last year.  Defense might seem to be more important IMO.  

In any case, CMC feels like a very high-risk roll of the dice given his almost certain odds of being injured again.  If BUF wants to blow multiple premium draft picks on him, I'm not too worried.  Honestly, if he's running with the ball, it means Allen isn't and that's probably not much of an improvement.

45 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

I will sign up for a decade of terrible football to win one SuperBowl - right now.

Where do I sign?

I've just watched a decade of terrible football without the payoff. Small price to pay to see one championship before I die.

• Sympathy 2

David Tepper to his front office: The Jets got 2 firsts and a third for a BOX SAFETY!!! I expect you guys to get at least THREE FIRSTS for CMC. Front office: Who do we look like??? Joe Douglas??? ?

Carolina is in cap hell and trading CMC helps that A LOT. But they also want to be in the QB hunt upcoming draft, so they need picks too. Trading CMC so the Bills can help out their cap situation, but not much help on the draft picks front, as others here have said. If they trade CMC, it will most likely be to a team that can offer up a decent draft pick AND take on CMC's salary.

Wasn't too long-ago that Joe Douglas was going to the mat trying to buy Tyreek for $30m per plus a boat load of picks. While Tyreek is more valuable than CMC (maybe just due to CMC's injury bug) I wouldn't be a bit surprised to see Joe D throw out an offer for CMC. Our offer can include foundational players like Michael Carter and even Braxton Barrios, plus a 2nd round pick that wouldn't be much worse than a Bill's 1st.

• Thumb Down 1

49 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

I heard today that they never contacted Carolina at all. But I would absolutely sell out to win 1 SB. I just want to see them win it once so I can watch it over and over again into old age, I don't give a crap about not being good for 10 years after.

This is the team that didn't even make the playoffs for 18 years so I can do 10 years in my sleep

• Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, nycdan said:

I can't blame BUF for trying to stack everything in their favor for the inevitable repeat showdown against KC in the playoffs.   Whether anything they do now is going to make a difference is hard to say.  It feels like KC and BUF both scored on every drive at the end last year.  Defense might seem to be more important IMO.  

In any case, CMC feels like a very high-risk roll of the dice given his almost certain odds of being injured again.  If BUF wants to blow multiple premium draft picks on him, I'm not too worried.  Honestly, if he's running with the ball, it means Allen isn't and that's probably not much of an improvement.

Don't you feel like Buffalo made the big move on D by adding Von Miller, and by adding CMC that's the vet they need on offense?

And I don't even think it's about CMC running, it's about how good he is as a receiver. 

Idk, it's risky, but the balance of power seemingly shifted towards Buffalo once KC lost Tyreek. So I don't blame the Bills going all-in now - in fact, I think I'd do it if I were the GM. 

12 minutes ago, FootballLove said:

David Tepper to his front office: The Jets got 2 firsts and a third for a BOX SAFETY!!! I expect you guys to get at least THREE FIRSTS for CMC. Front office: Who do we look like??? Joe Douglas??? ?

Carolina is in cap hell and trading CMC helps that A LOT. But they also want to be in the QB hunt upcoming draft, so they need picks too. Trading CMC so the Bills can help out their cap situation, but not much help on the draft picks front, as others here have said. If they trade CMC, it will most likely be to a team that can offer up a decent draft pick AND take on CMC's salary.

Wasn't too long-ago that Joe Douglas was going to the mat trying to buy Tyreek for $30m per plus a boat load of picks. While Tyreek is more valuable than CMC (maybe just due to CMC's injury bug) I wouldn't be a bit surprised to see Joe D throw out an offer for CMC. Our offer can include foundational players like Michael Carter and even Braxton Barrios, plus a 2nd round pick that wouldn't be much worse than a Bill's 1st.

You want to take on a bloated contract for an oft-injured player and put Breece Hall on the bench?  Doesn't add up.

8 minutes ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

Don't you feel like Buffalo made the big move on D by adding Von Miller, and by adding CMC that's the vet they need on offense?

And I don't even think it's about CMC running, it's about how good he is as a receiver. 

Idk, it's risky, but the balance of power seemingly shifted towards Buffalo once KC lost Tyreek. So I don't blame the Bills going all-in now - in fact, I think I'd do it if I were the GM. 

They did and VM is absolutely paying off for them.  You're also right that CMC gives them another receiving weapon but I'm not sure if that's going to change much since they score on nearly every drive already.   Honestly, they don't really have any obvious weaknesses at all.  But Mahomes' gonna Mahomes.  I don't know if you can ever assume you have enough to beat him unless the refs are taking Chris Jones out of play ;)

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

Yeah,  trading for a top 3 RB to go with a super powered O. What morons

There is zero reason to believe he'll doing anything more than being on the IR than he does now.  It's not like he's going to get healthier as he gets older.

Bills trading legit assets for him now is a clear win for the Jets.

4 minutes ago, nycdan said:

They did and VM is absolutely paying off for them.  You're also right that CMC gives them another receiving weapon but I'm not sure if that's going to change much since they score on nearly every drive already.   Honestly, they don't really have any obvious weaknesses at all.  But Mahomes' gonna Mahomes.  I don't know if you can ever assume you have enough to beat him unless the refs are taking Chris Jones out of play ;)

Fair points on everything. Got no reply to common sense.

And my god that Chris Jones call was the worst.

12 minutes ago, David Harris said:

You want to take on a bloated contract for an oft-injured player and put Breece Hall on the bench?  Doesn't add up.

Carolina's offense ran thru CMC almost 100%, and CMC couldn't hold up. What CMC needs is Breece Hall to share the load with. If both Breece and CMC were on the field at the same time, the same way Breece and MC are, we'd be much better on offense, and CMC might just last a whole season (plus a deep PO run or two)!

27 minutes ago, FootballLove said:

Carolina's offense ran thru CMC almost 100%, and CMC couldn't hold up. What CMC needs is Breece Hall to share the load with. If both Breece and CMC were on the field at the same time, the same way Breece and MC are, we'd be much better on offense, and CMC might just last a whole season (plus a deep PO run or two)!

We just need to work Quinnen into the lineup on offense.  Get him the damned ball!

42 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

There is zero reason to believe he'll doing anything more than being on the IR than he does now.  It's not like he's going to get healthier as he gets older.

Bills trading legit assets for him now is a clear win for the Jets.

If the Jets could trade a #1 and a #3 for a SB, you wouldn't do it?

6 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

If the Jets could trade a #1 and a #3 for a SB, you wouldn't do it?

Not really the point I was getting at...

two things here:

1) I don't think he's really capable of helping all that much - simply because he can't stay healthy.  

2) Jets aren't a challenge for the SB this year - even if he stays healthy this year and next - good.  Waste future draft capital for the next two years on a great player - that doesn't play.  I'm all for it.

If ZW turns into a Josh Allen talent - I don't see any reason to roll the dice on a player like McCafrey.

But if you have Allenn - just build a strong, smart steady team around him - no reason for last minute tricks.  

With that said - if they can get him for a  3rd or something - why not.  

I could easily see BUF doing what @The Crusher suggests and play him enough for defenses to have to plan for him until the playoffs. With fewer touches it's less of a risk, especially if they end up using him more as a receiver than a rusher through the season. I can't say it would be a completely awful idea.

I also saw rumors NE reached out about acquiring him. He would jump from one team where he's the most productive offensive player to another. He would be lucky to last two years carrying that offense.