Are The Jets Obligated to Play Zach in 2023

8 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

This is a question I have been asking myself. I think there is virtually no chance JD trades Zach for anything less that what we got for Darnold so I think Zach is still here in 2023. So let's  say he is for argument sake. If MW plays well in the next two games and dare I say the playoffs, will the Jets have an obligation to see if Zach improved and play him in real games. I don't think we can go off the preseason and camp, I think we will not get a clear picture that way. 

No, the being benched two times this year has basically blocked his by default status. Hypothetically speaking, if he’s on the roster…that will mean the jets want to continue to develop him. If that’s the case, there is a lot of rebuilding to do with him and they should treat him like a rookie and sit him out and let him compete for the back up role. Sitting him for a season would be my preference. Let him regain his confidence in this scenario. Learn the game with no pressure on him. Even the biggest Zach haters, myself being one of the them, can see his athleticism and arm talent is intriguing. There is some potential if they can teach him how to throw with anticipation and learn the mental side of the game. If the jets are getting competent QB play next year, him not playing will not be a big deal and shouldn’t be a distraction.

8 hours ago, TommyT said:

So much has changed in a short period of time. Zach now represents years of frustration and is no longer a sellable commodity. Zach showing up at a local sporting event will no longer be wise. Wearing a Zach jersey now will be met with ridicule. Both parties need to go their separate ways. A desperate team may part with a 4th. 

if we get a 4th for wilson then douglas is  satan

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, rex-n-effect said:

Has he? 

He's only played a few games with a single win (to date) this year. The coaches felt he had such a bad camp that they placed him behind Flacco and (perhaps unrelated) the team signed a fourth QB on the practice squad. The organization only signed him on a one year deal last year. A lot of the players seem to like him. No argument on that one.

The remainder of the season might be an audition for the starting job but short of consistently spectacular play I would be surprised if they handed him the job. IMO it is more probable that either Douglas brings in a vet starter to get the job or there is an open competition in the offseason. He a FA heading into next year and I would guess he's looking for a starting role or at least a meaningful opportunity to compete. He might decide to test FA for a better opportunity or a longer contract. Douglas doesn't strike me as a GM who is going to let a backup bully him into a multi-year starter value contract after a few wins.

Ahh so the coaches placed him behind Flacco because he had a bad camp ??? Exactly how would you know this ?

It was more like they knew they were going to go with Zach once he healed from his 2nd knee injury in 2 years and if they had played Mike White and he lit it up, as soon as Zach started to struggle the fans would be screaming for Mike White. Funny how Mike White took over for Flacco when Zach was playing pretty underwhelming. It looks more to me like they wanted to give Zach one more chance to play even competent football and when they realized that was not going to Happen they said **** it ands made White the Number 2 and started to lean towrds Benching Zach.

FWIW Mike White Started the pre Season as the number 3 QB by design. It was like that before anyone took a snap. There was no competition at all . So 1.With MW playing as the number 3 how many snaps you think he was taking ? and 2 who do you think he was playing with ? Players who didn't even make the roster.

4 minutes ago, neckdemon said:

if we get a 4th for wilson then douglas is  satan

If we get a comp pick that will be as good as UDFA but even that would be an improvement. If Zach got us a comp pick the league would call JD before the draft and say you owe (team we traded with ) them a 4th rounder

10 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

This is a question I have been asking myself. I think there is virtually no chance JD trades Zach for anything less that what we got for Darnold so I think Zach is still here in 2023. So let's  say he is for argument sake. If MW plays well in the next two games and dare I say the playoffs, will the Jets have an obligation to see if Zach improved and play him in real games. I don't think we can go off the preseason and camp, I think we will not get a clear picture that way. 

1. JD and Saleh are at a crossroads next year with JD up for an extension and Saleh having 2 years left on their deal....after 3 years of this project,(5 out of 6 years of JD contract) they find themselves vulnerable to be canned if things take a nasty turn next year. No way they attach their wagons to ZW magically having the lightbulb turn on

2. Woody is sensitive to outside noise, and you have your #2 pick being vehemently booed off the field, and the team next door is looking like they will secure a playoff berth........No way he doesn't go big game hunting at QB as a plan A in the offseason. He might swing and miss, but they will have their nose around whatever the top options are. 

3. Do we really know what ZW's value is in the trade market? Are we going off of what some no name speculated in a report? ZW is a former 2nd overall pick, clean cut, has a rocket arm, and 23 years old. Some team out there will delude themselves into thinking the "dumpster fire jets botched his development, and they have the pieces to salvage him". We had no clue JD would get the haul he got for Sam before hand now did we? 

2 hours ago, Rangers9 said:

Last season the Jets hired John Beck a former BYU and NFL Qb and Zach’s personal QB coach going back to college to tutor him during the season acting like a supplemental QB coach on the team. After that Zach improved the second half of season and had no picks his last 5 starts. I read an article that there could have been some friction with that arrangement. The Jets didn’t rehire Beck for 2022. Anyways if it worked and he played better why not keep the arrangement. https://www.deseret.com/2022/6/13/23166366/why-john-beck-wont-be-working-with-zach-wilson-in-an-official-capacity-with-new-york-jets-2022

Although it isn’t stated in the article you posted, team coaches aren’t allowed to coach players in the off season except for NFL approved off season activities. Beck has a business coaching QBs and he wouldn’t be able to be a Jets coach and coach Wilson during the off season.

23 minutes ago, Joejet said:

Although it isn’t stated in the article you posted, team coaches aren’t allowed to coach players in the off season except for NFL approved off season activities. Beck has a business coaching QBs and he wouldn’t be able to be a Jets coach and coach Wilson during the off season.

The article I read stating possible discord between Jets org and Wilson camp about Beck was in another article I tried and couldn’t find. Reminded me some of NEP conflict with Brady over his personal trainer. 

14 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

Screenshot_20221212_120125_Chrome.thumb.jpg.871a592cd06f57b9db59825444ab8007.jpg

My point exactly in another thread... My thoughts are he is still with the team, unless JD gets an offer he can't refuse. So now that Zach has played most of the 2 years he's been on the team, when he clearly should have sat at least the first year, I'm guessing he will have to compete next year. There is no way he should be handed the ball. The problem is he becomes useless if we find another QB that takes us deep into playoffs or even maybe to the SB next year if this team clicks without him at QB. Then we'll never know if he's still on the team, whether he's gotten better or not. You just can't waste next year figuring that out.

6 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

Ahh so the coaches placed him behind Flacco because he had a bad camp ??? Exactly how would you know this ?

It was more like they knew they were going to go with Zach once he healed from his 2nd knee injury in 2 years and if they had played Mike White and he lit it up, as soon as Zach started to struggle the fans would be screaming for Mike White. Funny how Mike White took over for Flacco when Zach was playing pretty underwhelming. It looks more to me like they wanted to give Zach one more chance to play even competent football and when they realized that was not going to Happen they said **** it ands made White the Number 2 and started to lean towrds Benching Zach.

FWIW Mike White Started the pre Season as the number 3 QB by design. It was like that before anyone took a snap. There was no competition at all . So 1.With MW playing as the number 3 how many snaps you think he was taking ? and 2 who do you think he was playing with ? Players who didn't even make the roster.

Saleh said so. I couldn't find more of the quote offhand but it's cited here. https://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/90847/how-a-case-of-mono-helped-the-new-york-jets-discover-mike-white

There's no evidence that Saleh dropped in the lesser QB at the start of the season to protect Zach's feelings.

Again, Saleh explained why White was moved up to #2. https://nypost.com/2022/10/30/jets-promote-mike-white-demote-joe-flacco-in-quarterback-twist/

While Saleh is prone to saying what he needs to say in pressers, your theories are built entirely on conjecture.

I'm not hating on White here, I just don't see this or really any team handing him a guaranteed starting job over one good game. 

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Warfish said:

It seems weird then, that a major point then (and below) is that the fans cheered for Strev before he took the field. 

That has nothing to do with JD being responsible for making the decision.

Ultimately, if I missed your point, then apologies.

If it's irrelevant why, why bring it up, twice?  I am legit confused at this point.

I don't disagree.  I simply don't think there is any chance he "turns it around".  Here, or anywhere else.

And I don't agree it has anything to do with us, our staff or the amount of 'support in the building'.  He was a bad pick, he's a bad player.  Utterly unready for the NFL, without most of the skills needed for the NFL game.  As happens, JD and Co. was lured by "elite arm strength" and hyperinflated numbers vs. sub-par opposition.

Out him on the Pats at their peak, he still sucks.  JMO.

I disagree fundamentally with this mindset.  Any wasted year is opportunity lost.  But that's an aside to this exchange...

Agreed.  RB and running the ball is a close 2nd right now.

Fair enough.

Meh, it's not an opportunity lost on a crap team until hindsight; anyway there's little risked so it's not a big deal so long as the team isn't staying clear of drafting someone else because of it. However a playoff-ready team is a far worse opportunity lost. A just-ok QB on a playoff team can get hot/lucky even if he's not the future QB long term. On a rebuilding team? I revert to my original meh.

As far as his future? Yeah he's given little to no indication that he's worth Douglas risking his neck for him another time. I wouldn't if I was in his shoes. However based on his being worse now than he was, because the situation is wounding his feelings, suggests like things could get worse in a situation that's bad for him, it stands to reason they could get better in a situation that's good for him in those same areas, however poor the chances are.

Whatever his future chances are, at best, he's a bad fit here. Fish out of water, on top of everything else that's accumulated - attitudes towards him - not just because of his sucking, but because of his sucking so worse than really any other non-elite QB the Jets have put onto the field. What someone else is willing to roll the dice on is up to them. But bad QBs have gotten better with a change of scenery, noting it's far & away not the norm.

Otherwise, 

:) 

• Upvote 3

21 hours ago, Warfish said:

Are you MW's agent?  That is a VERY optimistic (from a MW perspective) figure.

I doubt the interest level in MW will be remotely that hot,  They'll be some, sure, but at lower cost levels, and certainly not 10 teams.

We consistently forget that most NFL teams already have tehir own hand-picked Mike White

If MW does play well the rest of the way this year, it'll be interesting to see what level of interest he receives.  Tbh, I wouldn't be shocked if there were ~10 teams that had some level of interest:

1) Jets
2) Dolphins (Tua concussion)
3) Titans (If they move on from Tannehill)
4) Colts (Matt Ryan/Nick Foles are their QBs)
5) Texans (#1 draft pick but maybe they don't start him right away)
6) Raiders (Sounds like Derek Carr won't be back)
7) Commanders (Heinke/Wentz are their QBs)
8 ) Bucs (if TB12 moves on)
9) Saints (Andy Dalton is their QB)
10) Falcons (Marcus Mariota is their QB)

14 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

If MW does play well the rest of the way this year, it'll be interesting to see what level of interest he receives.  Tbh, I wouldn't be shocked if there were ~10 teams that had some level of interest:

1) Jets

Something to keep in mind is the same concerns the Jets have with him injury-wise will be shared by every other team. 

I guess - unlike other teams - the Jets can tag him, but he'd have to have some f'ing end to the season, that gets us into the playoffs, followed by a Foles/Flacco-like playoffs where they played so far over their heads. It's be a steep price, but it's not as steep a price (nor as deep in time) as a full extension if they're even considering the need to use the tag. Better to overpay for 1 year than to overpay for 3 years, even if the 3 years is at a bit lower rate.

Neither he nor the team is nearly there yet, so we'll see how this unfolds. That may happen. It also may happen that he gets knocked out in the 1st quarter this weekend and that's all she wrote where the decision to move on to someone else is that much easier.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Sperm Edwards said:

Something to keep in mind is the same concerns the Jets have with him injury-wise will be shared by every other team. 

I guess - unlike other teams - the Jets can tag him, but he'd have to have some f'ing end to the season, that gets us into the playoffs, followed by a Foles/Flacco-like playoffs where they played so far over their heads. It's be a steep price, but it's not as steep a price (nor as deep in time) as a full extension if they're even considering the need to use the tag. Better to overpay for 1 year than to overpay for 3 years, even if the 3 years is at a bit lower rate.

Neither he nor the team is nearly there yet, so we'll see how this unfolds. That may happen. It also may happen that he gets knocked out in the 1st quarter this weekend and that's all she wrote where the decision to move on to someone else is that much easier.

Sure, absolutely.  I just wouldn't be shocked if a good number of the 10 teams I listed at least considered him.  Probably many (most?) would be thinking in terms of a cheaper/short-term "prove it" type contract.  

And I agree that a lot depends on how things unfold the rest of the way.  (Note that I did write "If MW does play well the rest of the way this year, it'll be interesting to see what level of interest he receives").  If MW keeps up how he's been playing, I don't know how there wouldn't be "buyers".  Whether or not he fits into the "profile", he's been a productive QB.

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, GKnight83 said:

I do not think they let ZW go for a 4th or 5th.

More likely he sits or is even relegated to the practice squad.

Perhaps they even hire a guru to work with him until he is ready to rejoin the active roster.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Maybe this hits too close to home for me.

I once pushed to get a guy I hired promoted to partner.

He floundered the first year and did not bring in one client.

My partners wanted him fired - I refused

I started having 1 on 1s with him every week and spent a considerable amount of time with him.

20 years later he is a senior partner and practice executive.  One of our biggest earners.

My point is ZW is not costing the Jets a lot.  If they still see some of things that attracted them to him - they may choose to spend additional capital and time trying to fix it.

I would not settle for a 4th and 5th - just saying

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

1) Jets

I think there will be much, much less interest.  We'll just note this, and we can revisit over the offseason :) 

• Upvote 1

The sensible thing to do would be do the offseason reprogramming, evaluate Zach in camp, play him a lot in preseason and re-evaluate the situation. Maybe he puts enough on tape that other teams are interested and willing to offer a Sam-type trade. Maybe he really turns it around and you keep him on the roster.

The dumb thing to do would be to trade him when he has the least value he will ever have.  Even if his improvement is minimal in the summer, he will have more value after the draft and when QB injuries start to pile up in August.

If Jimmy G can return in SF, Wilson can return next summer. Niners were smart not to give him away. 

On 12/30/2022 at 8:12 AM, T0mShane said:

I don’t think it’s a coincidence that Glazer has his report that Zach is gone in the same week that Steve Young changes his tone to “it’s too bad it didn’t work out there, but go Jets!” and Zach’s mom is talking about the Jets in the past tense. It sounds like they at least have the framework for some type of departure from the Jets. It’s a terrible QB draft class this year—someone will decide Zach is a better bet than wee Bryce Young or big dope Will Levis. 

My plan remains:

1. Get a vet QB for 2023

2. Try to fix the OL this offseason. 

3. Trade up for a QB in the 2024 QB class that should be loaded. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

I think there will be much, much less interest.  We'll just note this, and we can revisit over the offseason :) 

Teams will have minimal interest before Free Agency and the Draft. They will have more interest when those avenues are no longer available and they need a QB.

Trading Zach now would be like selling waterfront property during a flood.

On 12/30/2022 at 8:18 AM, More Cowbell said:

I really don't  agree with this. I know there are all these stories bow Zach is a goner but there is also the story that JD has been pushing for him to play. I think JD is going to keep his signature selection on the team next season and will be campaigning  for him to get playing time. 

What report that JD has been pushing for him to play?  Haven’t read that.  Other than some fan thinking it has to be true because JD drafted him. 

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

How could you possibly see Zach as the starter here?

He has been atrociously atrocious.

He has gotten worse, not better.

He has lost the locker room.

The Jets are ready to win now.

The fans will boo him with every bad throw.

2 goals in the NFL:  win or at least fill the seats trying.  Zach fails in both regards.

He also thought Zach was the best QB prospect he ever saw coming out of college, so ........

2 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

What report that JD has been pushing for him to play?  Haven’t read that.  Other than some fan thinking it has to be true because JD drafted him. 

Let's  just say it os something O read on this forum and was also reported on by the media. If you are that interested, do a Google. JD seems to be the only person in the organization that still wants to see Zach. 

3 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

I  can't point to any "report" specifically, but the board, the reporters and all the gossip out there (and here) for over a couple of weeks is that Saleh has wanted Zach to sit and JD him to start. Of course, there's no iron clad proof thereof. Is there ever?  It would make sense and would explain JD losing his sh*t at the Ryan Leaf heckle.  He just doesn't want to be officially wrong on the overall #2 pick, which he is, IMO, and he'll have to see if Woody forgives him for not one, but two high first round pick busts. AVT, Sauce, Hall have given him a lifeline here and he's going to have to deal with the reality of it. Better not push to play Zach until 2024 probably.  It must be very difficult for him to accept that Zach is going to be holding a clipboard for the entire season if the Jets don't need him due to injury. Maybe he can pull off yet another miracle trade. That would be cool and I'd forgive him even more.

46 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Let's  just say it os something O read on this forum and was also reported on by the media. If you are that interested, do a Google. JD seems to be the only person in the organization that still wants to see Zach. 

I haven’t read one reputable source in the media say JD is pushing for ZW to play.  I’ve read where he’s said he still believes in him, that he’s still a QB etc, all the niceties like that were said after his first benching.  Nothing saying JD was pushing for ZW to start.  

• Sympathy 1

37 minutes ago, Dcat said:

I  can't point to any "report" specifically, but the board, the reporters and all the gossip out there (and here) for over a couple of weeks is that Saleh has wanted Zach to sit and JD him to start. Of course, there's no iron clad proof thereof. Is there ever?  It would make sense and would explain JD losing his sh*t at the Ryan Leaf heckle.  He just doesn't want to be officially wrong on the overall #2 pick, which he is, IMO, and he'll have to see if Woody forgives him for not one, but two high first round pick busts. AVT, Sauce, Hall have given him a lifeline here and he's going to have to deal with the reality of it. Better not push to play Zach until 2024 probably.  It must be very difficult for him to accept that Zach is going to be holding a clipboard for the entire season if the Jets don't need him due to injury. Maybe he can pull off yet another miracle trade. That would be cool and I'd forgive him even more.

I can’t see his ass being on the fire for ZW.  He was the consensus #2, it happens.  Lots of people were wrong if he never pans out.  Not like he went away from the chalk and reached and failed.  Then as you said he nailed this years draft.  Also his job was to find a QB, does it matter how if he’s hit on White?