Jets standing by QB Zach Wilson 'through hell or high water'

Bronx

Honestly, I think Saleh is just blowing smoke up everyone’s butt.

There’s no way they’ll be able to see Wilson to this fan base again next year. They aren’t going to go down with that ship.
This is nothing but him and the organization trying to put enough lipstick on their pig to sell it at market.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

20 minutes ago, bonkertons said:

Is it too late?  For who?  The second he has success the fans will immediately start sucking him off.  It's only too late if he wants out or if he's just physically incapable of becoming an NFL QB.  If it's the latter, who gives a **** if he sits as the #3 for a year and is then let go?  Unless he's an actual locker room cancer, there is literally no downside to trying to salvage him for another year.  Them keeping him doesn't translate to them not bringing in an upgrade at QB.  

I know they will.  I was half joking.  
I don’t care what it takes, try and rehab him, he has tools and at this point no one knows what he ultimately will become

• Upvote 1

Chrebet, on his podcast with coles said milf needs to go.  Much as we’ve gone over how milfs plays do get receivers open and zwilson has been late with his throws it’s hard to see where Chrebet is coming from.  But he did say the plays were unimaginative and predictable.  I think he’s right. We were seeing end arounds, flea flickers, and even Wilson try to make a pass this season and last.  Where have these plays gone? It seems like milf likes calling line plunges on first down, medium to long passes on second and then desperation throws on third.  Trying 2 pass plays with 3 downs from the manny one just seemed wrong. I don’t care if the plays looked good on paper or even if they should’ve worked if executed.  The fact is they didn’t and there’s nothing wrong with a good power back set in that situation.

I don’t know if milf should be launched. It seems too easy to change coordinators. But he needs to be examined along with the rest of the staff to see if things can be do better. And if milf is the problem then he has got to go and someone else brought in.

• Upvote 1

The first part is what a coach should say. They should be completely committed to trying to make every drafted player the best possible. I don't feel like they've done that, but it's what I would expect any coach to say. 

The comment about go read and book and decide if you want to play football is really concerning. It's not mentally reset to get your confidence back. It's figure out if you want to do the job at all. A small part of me wonders if Zach's lack of focus or commitment is in part due to conflict with the coaches (like Mims and Moore) but even if that's true he's not just tanking his opportunity with this team--he's tanking his entire NFL career.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

20 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

It’s just so wild that they’ve made Zach a healthy scratch for the second half of the season and then defiantly try to say “No no, he’s our guy, we’re sticking with him.” Do they know what market they’re in? Do they understand this fan base at all? 

JD and Saleh are stuck between a rock and a hard place. Saleh is saying all the "right things" about Zach to try and improve his trade value, but it's not going to happen. JD wants at least a 2, because that's what he got for Darnold, and the only offers he's getting are probably 4 and 5. So knowing they have to keep him on the roster, they are just doing damage control. Failing the secondary option of getting a veteran "hold the fort" guy, Zach very well might win the starting job in 2023. It's a no win situation, which is why you have to sh*tcan Saleh and JD now but we know Woody won't do that. They'll FUBAR 2023 and then dump a mess on some other hapless sucker who will get fired a few years later like Gase, Bowles, and Saleh. 

People who want to delude themselves into thinking this ball of sh*t can be spray painted with gold sprinkles and they'll just bring Jimmy Garapalo here and the Jets will be better than a 7-10 team next year or the year after that have rocks in their brain.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

They should replace the ubiquitous “AGNB”’s at MetLife and 1JD with this.

Awe-inspiring stuff.

Just wondering where the winning football games aspect factors into all of this.

Saleh is a politician / motivational speaker masking as an NFL head coach.

TABAR

Take a Break and Reset

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 3

I think MLF needs to go.  They can't run this same crew back out there next year like we saw progress.  We saw regression after a hot start and there has to be accountability for that.  Saleh and Douglas are going nowhere, and I fear MLF will survive under the banner of "loyalty" from Saleh.  I'd be looking for an innovative OC who can make the most of the young, elite talent we have on offense.  If they are hell bent on keeping Zach, this also gives him the best chance for a true restart with a new offensive philosophy

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Green Ghost said:

Honestly, I think Saleh is just blowing smoke up everyone’s butt.

There’s no way they’ll be able to see Wilson to this fan base again next year. They aren’t going to go down with that ship.
This is nothing but him and the organization trying to put enough lipstick on their pig to sell it at market.

Can only hope you are right about this.

On the bald GM front, does one home run draft outweigh 2 sh-tty ones, pisspoor OL, botched #2 overall pick, and countless FA whiffs?

8 minutes ago, rangerous said:

Chrebet, on his podcast with coles said milf needs to go.  Much as we’ve gone over how milfs plays do get receivers open and zwilson has been late with his throws it’s hard to see where Chrebet is coming from.  But he did say the plays were unimaginative and predictable.  I think he’s right. We were seeing end arounds, flea flickers, and even Wilson try to make a pass this season and last.  Where have these plays gone? It seems like milf likes calling line plunges on first down, medium to long passes on second and then desperation throws on third.  Trying 2 pass plays with 3 downs from the manny one just seemed wrong. I don’t care if the plays looked good on paper or even if they should’ve worked if executed.  The fact is they didn’t and there’s nothing wrong with a good power back set in that situation.

I don’t know if milf should be launched. It seems too easy to change coordinators. But he needs to be examined along with the rest of the staff to see if things can be do better. And if milf is the problem then he has got to go and someone else brought in.

If the reason the offense flopped was just ZW missing open receivers or making sh*tty throws, you have to come up with alternative explanations for why two other QBs flopped this season (not counting Streveler's half game against LaFleur). You also have to explain why there seems to be a lot of discord between players and coaches and why other parts of the offense played like garbage across the season. 

ZW isn't the only problem the offense faced this season but outside of benching ZW the offense made very little adjustment in game or across the season to try to overcome problems. Successful coordinators adjust to their realities. LaFleur doesn't know how or doesn't want to. Either way, that is the recipe for what we saw over the course of the season. 

• Upvote 2

Another factor in all of this is something you see frequently in top club European soccer.

A player will ball out in one league, or with one team / system / manager, but completely flop elsewhere.

Lukaku failed at Chelsea (and elsewhere in EPL) before moving to Serie A where he proceeded to dominate as a top goal scorer.  On the heels of that, he returns to Chelsea, and proceeds to suck and fail.  The fans get on him, he loses confidence again, and ends up back in Italy.

Lukaku "developed" in Italy, established himself as a world class striker, and was brought back to Chelsea and the EPL only to flop again.

Even if Wilson has the ability to perform at an average level, is it going to happen in the New York market with this ownership, coaching staff, media, fanbase, etc.?

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 2

6 minutes ago, rex-n-effect said:

If the reason the offense flopped was just ZW missing open receivers or making sh*tty throws, you have to come up with alternative explanations for why two other QBs flopped this season (not counting Streveler's half game against LaFleur). You also have to explain why there seems to be a lot of discord between players and coaches and why other parts of the offense played like garbage across the season. 

ZW isn't the only problem the offense faced this season but outside of benching ZW the offense made very little adjustment in game or across the season to try to overcome problems. Successful coordinators adjust to their realities. LaFleur doesn't know how or doesn't want to. Either way, that is the recipe for what we saw over the course of the season. 

I’m trying to be nice here. I don’t like the idea of switching coaches without good reason. But even I see the offense just doesn’t look right, at least on a consistent basis. And for two seasons now, players have been getting into the coaches dog house.  Maybe the players deserved it but maybe the coaches don’t know what they’re doing.  I want someone in the jets organization say they’re going to objectively evaluate saleh and his staff.  If it turns out that milf is a problem then he needs to go.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

I feel like this is a setup from Woody…

”You are all safe in 2023 we exceeded expectations, just show support for Zach and I got your back”

fast forward…

”We are making changes because we have a leadership team that was unable to evaluate the most important position on the team and refused to move on when needed”

2 hours ago, dbatesman said:

How exactly are we supposed to read this other than “Zach needs to figure out if he actually likes football or not”? Like, I doubt Saleh meant it that way (or maybe not? ?),  and maybe it was different in context than it looks in an article, but honestly, what else could we be meant to take from that?

Maybe Saleh is secretly trying to get Zach to retire???

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Green Ghost said:

No way I’m going through another season of Zach Wilson.

I’ve been following this team for 55 years, but I took a break Sam’s last year. I’ll do it again before I watch this kid.

Living outside the NY market makes it fairly easy to do. It gets OLs having to go to a sports bar or deal with streams that fail as often as they work.

I’ll pick a “second team” again like I did in ‘20. I’ll get my Jets fix here, I just won’t ruin my Sunday watching them.

If only Baker signed here!  

Bye bye 

I think you're all just completely misinterpreting this.  Saleh is being completely genuine in his comment, just read it again:

"Through hell or high water, we're going to figure how to get him to where we know he can be."

It just so happens they know he can be in a great many other places that aren't the NY Jets roster, and they're going to figure out how to get him there!

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Coquito said:

JD and Saleh are stuck between a rock and a hard place. Saleh is saying all the "right things" about Zach to try and improve his trade value, but it's not going to happen. JD wants at least a 2, because that's what he got for Darnold, and the only offers he's getting are probably 4 and 5. So knowing they have to keep him on the roster, they are just doing damage control. Failing the secondary option of getting a veteran "hold the fort" guy, Zach very well might win the starting job in 2023. It's a no win situation, which is why you have to sh*tcan Saleh and JD now but we know Woody won't do that. They'll FUBAR 2023 and then dump a mess on some other hapless sucker who will get fired a few years later like Gase, Bowles, and Saleh. 

People who want to delude themselves into thinking this ball of sh*t can be spray painted with gold sprinkles and they'll just bring Jimmy Garapalo here and the Jets will be better than a 7-10 team next year or the year after that have rocks in their brain.  

Ehhhh. I think there are warring factions inside the Jets right now, with most wanting to launch Wilson into the sun. Saleh is just a really bad actor who thinks he’s a lot smarter than everyone else in the room, and he ends up looking like a dope in those settings. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Bleedin Green said:

I think you're all just completely misinterpreting this.  Saleh is being completely genuine in his comment, just read it again:

"Through hell or high water, we're going to figure how to get him to where we know he can be."

It just so happens they know he can be in a great many other places that aren't the NY Jets roster, and they're going to figure out how to get him there!

BUT

JD isn't dumping him for a 4th rounder, so he's coming back in 2023.

34 minutes ago, rex-n-effect said:

Excellent post that will be dismissed out of hand. Let's say that White was slightly hampered in the Seattle game. Well he looked EXACTLY like Wilson. Which should be a screaming red flag to people that the MLF offense is not easy it is difficult and requires extreme precision to operate and that the playcalling sucks. The "people are open" argument is ludicrous really since you do not know what the progression is. White was successful twice. Both the first game he played each season and then his performance plummeted.

The reality is that you just can't look at Zach and say he sucks without considering why. Fans here want to ignore how immensely talented he is and the fact that he has always been a hard worker and intelligent. Anger leads people here to just say "he sucks" instead of thinking that maybe the OC is a complete loser that has ruined him. Zach is broken because of MLF. It's a simple fact

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, doitny said:

come on guys this is coach speak. Zach Wilson is done here. there going to bring somebody is as QB 1 and trade Zach for whatever. 

The only thing that gives me hope it that this organization was saying similar things about Jamal and Sam until they both went away. 

• Upvote 3