Danny Jones wants $45m a year

Rhg1084

32 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

If they tag him they then lose Saquon and wind up paying Jones about $35m for next year anyway 

The threat of the tag is also leverage over DJ.

They can use it to push to him accept a below-market deal.

Cousins is the only QB in league history who’s had the patience to play through 2 B2B franchise tags and wait it out to UFA.

35 minutes ago, JiFields said:

Wow, after 1 year of being mediocre?   The Giants beat 2 teams w/ a winning record this year. 

Jones ranked 44th/46 in air yards per attempt for QBs who attempted over 100 passes. He had 12 games where threw for 200 yards or less. Threw for over 228 yards 3 times all year (including playoffs): 2 times against 31st ranked pass defense in the league Minnesota, 1 time against 30th ranked pass defense in the league Detroit (most of that garbage time). 

He had a very good year running the ball, but he’s never had this many designed runs before, defenses were keyed on Saquon, and this is the first time the league saw Daboll/Kafka’s offense with this personnel. I don’t think he’ll get close to that $45 mill number, but even at around $35 mill it feels an awful lot like he’s getting paid an extra $10 mill because of one playoff game against a truly horrific defense.

• Upvote 3

42 minutes ago, oatmeal said:

Not if we get Rodgers his cap hit won’t be that bad compared to signing someone outright 

How do you see Rodgers at $50M per not creating a massive cap hit? Sure you can convert to bonus but then you are taking the hit when Aaron is happily retired in two years and we need to pay our young talent and find another QB.

• Upvote 1

If he wants 45, you guys seriously think Carr wants less...  Haha ? 

Jesus, I love the speculation that 40 Mil a year will get Carr especially if you only give a 2 year contract... I bet he would take 200 over 5 years... But that's insanity... 

Carr is not worth that money and would killed the jets cap... Rodgers is the only real direction here... Everything else is secondary.. 

If Danny wants 45 per year you know Carr is going to be asking 50

• Post of the Week 1

2 minutes ago, Reasonable Jets Fan said:

If he wants 45, you guys seriously think Carr wants less...  Haha ? 

Jesus, I love the speculation that 40 Mil a year will get Carr especially if you only give a 2 year contract... I bet he would take 200 over 5 years... But that's insanity... 

Carr is not worth that money and would killed the jets cap... Rodgers is the only real direction here... Everything else is secondary.. 

If Danny wants 45 per year you know Carr is going to be asking 50

Why is a 5 year contract for Carr insanity? He’s only 31, I’d happily give him 5 years. Rodgers will have a huge cap hit as well, cost us draft picks and probably bounce after one season 

• Upvote 3
  • Ugh 1

2 minutes ago, jvill 51 said:

Jones ranked 44th/46 in air yards per attempt for QBs who attempted over 100 passes. He had 12 games where threw for 200 yards or less. Threw for over 228 yards 3 times all year (including playoffs): 2 times against 31st ranked pass defense in the league Minnesota, 1 time against 30th ranked pass defense in the league Detroit (most of that garbage time). 

He had a very good year running the ball, but he’s never had this many designed runs before, defenses were keyed on Saquon, and this is the first time the league saw Daboll/Kafka’s offense with this personnel. I don’t think he’ll get close to that $45 mill number, but even at around $35 mill it feels an awful lot like he’s getting paid an extra $10 mill because of one playoff game against a truly horrific defense.

Pretty much summed up how I see it. Big risk to commit to Jones long-term at anything over $30M.

The Franchise tag will be $32M for one year. I think that’s the way to go. The Giants will protect themselves from locking themselves in long-term.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Rhg1084 said:

Why is a 5 year contract for Carr insanity? He’s only 31, I’d happily give him 5 years. Rodgers will have a huge cap hit as well, cost us draft picks and probably bounce after one season 

Because he is a mediocre qb... That can't play in cold weather... Cannot carry the team himself... And has seasons where he disappears like this past season. 

Not worth 50 million a year... 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Reasonable Jets Fan said:

Because he is a mediocre qb... That can't play in cold weather... Cannot carry the team himself... And has seasons where he disappears like this past season. 

beggars can’t be choosers. We have no QB right now. Carr is the best option. 

• Upvote 1
  • More Ugh 1

1 hour ago, oatmeal said:

In a limited QB market if jones wants this Carr’s number had to be at lest 40 mill per,

Jones is the better QB, played on a worst team with less offensive talent and already has more playoff wins

I seriously don’t know wassuppp with some of the fans around here but STOP LETTING THESE NYJ CONTENT CREATORS BRAINWASH YALL 

You lost me at Jones is a better QB than Carr. 

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Reasonable Jets Fan said:

BTW even in this past season where he “disappeared “ he still had a better season than Rodgers 

• WTF? 1

13 minutes ago, undertow said:

Plus Derek Carr is slightly above average. 

when you have zero ability to identify and develop a QB organically, this is the best you can hope for, is to go and buy someone who is slightly above average and pay them top tier QB money. Look at Kirk Cousins, the guy has made an absolute fortunae and as nothing more than JAG+.

Many teams can't idnetify and develop their own QB, so someone slightly above average is in demand

This is why finding good coaches is far more important than anything. Good coaches identify good players, and develop good players. We don't have good coaches who can do this, so we have to overpay for slightly above average

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Augustiniak said:

Perfect example of the trap qb who is good enough to get you to the playoffs but not good enough to get you to the super bowl.  These qbs now cost a ton.

First off, it's not a one-man team. You have to get to the playoffs first before you can determine the QB can't get you to the Super Bowl. I'll take my chances on making some noise with a fired up defense and an above average QB (assuming the offense can balance the team over the course of a season). 

1 hour ago, BurntDice said:

Way too much for him. I’d be happy with the 30ish mil range. 45 to me is for guys who are legit mahomes types 

lmao.  You think any mid/upper tier QB1 is signing for 30?  8 QBs already make $40M+ per and that number is only going to grow substantially and perhaps double over the next 2-3 offseasons (Jackson, Carr, Hurts, Burrow, Lawrence, possibly Jimmy G, Goff, Justin Fields, and yes…Daniel Jones too).

If you think Jones is only worth $30M per I shudder at the thought of what you’ll think  about the numbers when Carr signs somewhere.  

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 2

And this is why Id favor Rodgers or Tannenhill. I like the idea of being able to draft a qb in 2024 and move on from the guy we sign this year in 2025. By the time we are ready to move on from the vet we sign this year, we’ll have had a guy sitting for a year and will be ready to take over while working under a team friendly contract. Those guys will work in the short term and allow us to have the chance to be successful in the long term. guys like gardener and garrett will need extensions. That’ll be hard to do with a mediocre guy like carr eating up 45-50 mill a year for average qb play for 5 seasons.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, extmenace said:

And this is why I want Rodgers or Tannenhill. I like the idea of being able to draft a qb in 2024 and move on from the guy we sign this year in 2025. By the time we are ready to move on from the vet we sign this year, we’ll have had a guy sitting for a year and will be ready to take over while working under a team friendly contract. guys like gardener and garrett will need extensions. That’ll be hard to do with a mediocre guy like carr eating up 45-50 mill a year for average qb play. 

And how much dead cap will Rodgers be eating ? 

21 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

lmao.  You think any mid/upper tier QB1 is signing for 30?  8 QBs already make $40M+ per and that number is only going to grow substantially and perhaps double over the next 2-3 offseasons (Jackson, Carr, Hurts, Burrow, Lawrence, possibly Jimmy G, Goff, Justin Fields, and yes…Daniel Jones too).

If you think Jones is only worth $30M per I shudder at the thought of what you’ll think  about the numbers when Carr signs somewhere.  

You view jones as upper tier qb1? I certainly don’t. I’ve been backing him for a while on here and a guy with one average (not even top 10)  year does not deserve 45 mil per. 

Carr is easily worth more than Jones. He’s been an above average qb for his entire career. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, extmenace said:

And this is why I want Rodgers or Tannenhill. I like the idea of being able to draft a qb in 2024 and move on from the guy we sign this year in 2025. By the time we are ready to move on from the vet we sign this year, we’ll have had a guy sitting for a year and will be ready to take over while working under a team friendly contract. guys like gardener and garrett will need extensions. That’ll be hard to do with a mediocre guy like carr eating up 45-50 mill a year for average qb play. 

Why do people keep suggesting Tannehill like we can just sign him for $12m to be our QB next season? He’s currently under contract and due to make $36m this year. So we’d have to give them draft picks and pay him $36m

• Upvote 2

35 minutes ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

The threat of the tag is also leverage over DJ.

They can use it to push to him accept a below-market deal.

Cousins is the only QB in league history who’s had the patience to play through 2 B2B franchise tags and wait it out to UFA.

No they can't. It sets an absolute baseline of $32 million for him so to sign him long term they are going to need to be above that. $35-$40 million a year is not below market

4 minutes ago, extmenace said:

you have to trade for Tannehill who is contracted to make $36 mil this year. then he's going to be up for a new deal essentially so what then you want to give him 45-50? lol 

if you really think zach sitting for a year is going to make him into anything better than an average QB, good on you. you don't go from worst qb in the league to a top 15-12 guy, he would be an anomaly 

you do realize the cap increases every year, players salaries rise every year. lets say Zach even gets to average the following season then you have to pay him and you know the rate for fb's by that point is going to be 60-65-70 based on how these QB contracts move. 

9 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

Why do people keep suggesting Tannehill like we can just sign him for $12m to be our QB next season? He’s currently under contract and due to make $36m this year. So we’d have to give them draft picks and pay him $36m

We'd be on the hook for only $27M. The Titans take the cap hit on the prorated bonus. $27M is reasonable for Tannehill. The only question now is the draft picks and how much we'd be willing to give up. I wouldn't go higher than a 3rd.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, GreenFish said:

We'd be on the hook for only $27M. The Titans take the cap hit on the prorated bonus. $27M is reasonable for Tannehill. The only question now is the draft picks and how much we'd be willing to give up. I wouldn't go higher than a 3rd.

No thanks. The guy is coming off a major injury and is 35 years old. Just sign Carr instead of trying to penny pinch.

54 minutes ago, oatmeal said:

Age and I think jones running ability make him overall better 

They're similar in some metrics. 

63.97% (Jones) vs. 64.56% (Carr). 
6.5 YPA (Jones) vs. 7.1 YPA (Carr).
2.0% INT Rate (Jones) vs. 2.0% INT Rate (Carr) 

But Carr produces, on average, ~1,000 more passing yards per season (2,900 for Jones, 3,913 for Carr) on 114 more pass attempts per season, showing he's been asked to do alot more as a passer than Jones.

And Carr produces more passing TD's  (15 for Jones, 24 for Carr) while having similar avg. in INT's (9 for Jones, 11 for Carr).

Rushing could be a differentiator, absolutely, but Jones only has one meaningful rushing season (2022) with over 700 yards rushing.

Outside that one-year anomaly, they're not worlds apart, 333 and 1.6 TD's avg. year for Jones, 94 and 0.75 TF's avg. a year for Carr.

Clearly Jones is better, but is the ~200 yards rushing and 1 TD that meaningful from the QB position?

Or is Jones 2022 what Jones will be from here on, 700 yards rushing and 7 TD's?  Is he the new Josh Allen?  I sorta doubt it, but far from a certainty, and questions exist if our team/system/O-Co are the right people to help Jones be the 2022 Jones regularly.  

It's an interesting question.  Carr is I think clearly the better passer for a passing focused QB team, while Jones may be better for a ask-less running focused team where he doesn't have to throw it 500+ times a year, but will be asked to carry it (and take hits) alot more.

• Upvote 2