Aaron Rodgers to the Jets rumor: Merged

6 minutes ago, Columbia Jet Fan said:

1) I don't believe Lombardi for anything 

2) I don't think its as black and white as Jets have the leverage here b/c its pretty obvious our desire to trade for AR. However, if the Jets balk at the asking price (pick 13 this year + a pick next year) - what exactly is the Packers plan? They cannot cut him ($100mm dead cap this year if its pre 6/1 and $75mm dead cap post 6/1). They need Rodgers to agree to another team and AFAIK no one has even approached them and it'll take time to put another deal together. His cap hit to the Packers this year is $31mm. Do they play AR and just sit or trade Love? What about next year? 

Not saying its rosy for the Jets if they miss out on AR - but if I'm the Packers GM and I tell JD its a first or nothing and he hangs up I'm sh*tting my pants...

I don't think Jets have any leverage....Jets are the ones that are desperate for a QB and Rodgers is the only one left

• WTF? 2
  • More Ugh 2

45 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

This list is wild to me, but let me just focus on one guy to illustrate my main point (that the narrative of Lamar being a substandard passer is entirely inaccurate):

Tua is a "MUCH better passer" than Lamar? Can you elaborate on this?

FYI, Lamar has a higher career traditional passer rating (96.7 vs. 95.0), a higher career TD/INT ratio (2.65 vs. 2.26), and the same career yards/attempt (7.4). And this is forgetting about the fact that Lamar has never had anything close to Waddle and Hill at WR for an entire year. Please tell me how Tua is a "MUCH better passer" than Lamar Jackson. 

I said it before, but the running game of Jackson drives the passing game.  His passing numbers are good because of the fear of him running and how the defense prioritizes, not because Jackson is a great thrower of the football or even terribly accurate.  Take away that running threat and I think you'd see his passing numbers decline precipitously if he had to be a pocket passer.  And again, the risk is he gets hurt again, or multiple agains, and loses some/all of that running ability a la RGIII.

So yes, in terms of pure ability to pass the football, I think Tue is miles ahead of Jackson.  But Jacksons running ability opens everything up for his passing game...for now.  You should note he has declined in passing production (I'd have to do a deeper dive, since he also played fewer games too).

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, PS17 said:

Nah fam

So for an additional 1st rounder, we can solve the QB position for the next decade w/ a 26 year old stud who wants to prove the dweebs of the world wrong vs. the guy that maybe wants to play if everyone around him is nice and let him does whatever he wants.

Make the call JD.

16 minutes ago, Zachtomims47 said:

In the video, he basically guessing off of what he heard a week ago. “Will they take a 2 and maybe something else if he plays again next year? Maybe. I don’t know”. 

He don’t know sh*t. 

This.

Lombardi doesn't know jack.

I listened to an interview with him yesterday in which he was spouting the same speculative non-sense.  He's guessing that they want a number 1 pick....he doesn't have any information on what the Packers actually want.

Lombardi has turned into a full on troll.  He has a podcast now and the ads for it promote how he unleashes on GMs, coaches, front offices etc. for all the bad moves they make.  His whole schtick has become saying outrageous things about people running teams.

All of this coming from a guy who had one shot at managing an NFL draft and selected Barkivous Mingo with a top 10 pick.

• Upvote 3

28 minutes ago, derp said:

Kind of wonder if this is where it’s hard for Douglas to play chicken and the Packers know it. Hopefully he stands his ground, and there’s a bunch of ways that various parties have leverage here, but I can see why they’d want to push him a little to see what they can get given everything that’s gone public.

That all said, Kleiman and Lombardi aren’t exactly elite sources.

He can’t give up a first. The Packers are like a used car salesman at this point. No one else wants Rogers, so they are trying to make the Jets panic. I truly believe Rogers has told them he’s going to retire if he doesn’t go to another team

10 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

No doubt.  Give me Rodgers, but if that deal falls apart, THEN pivot to Jackson.  

For better or worse, I believe that the Jets are still a "system" offense, with fully-functioning Aaron Rodgers being the perfect QB to run the system.   I don't think this CS is that flexible.  

The Ravens, to their credit, saw the opportunity to draft Lamar Jackson at the bottom of the first round and then adapt their offense to him.  Their Flacco/Parcells/Ehrhardt offense was not as different from what Lamar does than the WCO.  And if you have Lamar running that offense, he is basically the offense so you can pay him a greater share of the money.

But, during the current regime, I don't see there being any practical likelihood that the Jets get Lamar.

22 minutes ago, PS17 said:

This is why it’s such a fascinating negotiation. The Jets have “no leverage” because everyone on earth knows we are all in on Rodgers. The Packers have “no leverage” because everyone on earth knows they want to move on and start Love. 

My guess at the final compensation: our 2023 2nd and a conditional 2024 4th

The packers, although I agree with what you are saying, have even less leverage.

The Jets can still find a qb.  Do the Packers have any option other than to take what they get?  

Raiders?  Possibly

Carolina?  Possible

Etc.

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

If tanny were the gm, goodbye picks.  Douglas is the best trader we’ve ever had.

This is why I trust this will work out. 

If it's not Rodgers holding this us (as has been widely reported) and it really is the GB comp. I have little doubt JD will make this work in the Jets favor.

• Upvote 2

The same could be said about the Packers yet we want Rodgers all the same.
There are warts with any available QB.  That's why they're available.  Doesn't mean they can't be a great option for us. 
What's the alternative?  Bring in Jacoby Brissett?  Gotta take a big swing at a vet QB when your org is seemingly incapable of drafting a good one.

Packers have a former first round draft pick who they are high on to replace Rodgers. Ravens have ... Tyler Huntley? Can't even remember.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

4 minutes ago, Maxman said:

This is what we were told yesterday. Today we were told it is all worked out. I took that to mean the compensation is finalized and they felt good about Aaron saying yes.

Yup. Glad to have this verified.

What the F Rodgers still needs to figure out is a real question.

I do wonder, is Rodgers's heart is not in it and doesn't want to play - but really trying to get the Jets and himself to convince him.  

What we don't want is a guy completely disinterested in being out there.  Would be a disaster.

48 minutes ago, Jets4Life1979 said:

45 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

If true we know why there’s no deal yet.  

I think the tweet is 100% bullshti.

No way the Packers let the Jets brass meet with Aaron until AFTER they and the Jets have agreed to trade compensation.  

Total nonsense. 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Zachtomims47 said:

Lol Jets acting right now like they’re trying to catch a scared stray dog.
Easy boy, easy now…just get in the crate. Just throw some shrooms in there and we got a deal. 

LOL.. Awesome.  

40 minutes ago, PS17 said:

This is why it’s such a fascinating negotiation. The Jets have “no leverage” because everyone on earth knows we are all in on Rodgers. The Packers have “no leverage” because everyone on earth knows they want to move on and start Love. 

My guess at the final compensation: our 2023 2nd and a conditional 2024 4th

the leverage in any negotiation is the BATNA and to withdraw from negotiations. Jets have leverage. If the cost to make the agreement becomes prohibitive they will withdraw. that's leverage. in terms of other directions, even tho they are all in on AR, there are other QBs in the universe. GB is the party without a good BATNA at this time unless another team comes in. They will either get something for AR or he will retire.  

22 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I said it before, but the running game of Jackson drives the passing game.  His passing numbers are good because of the fear of him running and how the defense prioritizes, not because Jackson is a great thrower of the football or even terribly accurate.  Take away that running threat and I think you'd see his passing numbers decline precipitously if he had to be a pocket passer.  And again, the risk is he gets hurt again, or multiple agains, and loses some/all of that running ability a la RGIII.

So yes, in terms of pure ability to pass the football, I think Tue is miles ahead of Jackson.  But Jacksons running ability opens everything up for his passing game...for now.  You should note he has declined in passing production (I'd have to do a deeper dive, since he also played fewer games too).

Yeah, I don't buy this and don't believe there is any objective data to support the notion that Tua is "miles ahead" of Jackson "in terms of pure ability to pass the football." This is no more convincing than any of the "eye test" arguments that people have about a QB they like or dislike. 

Jackson being an elite rushing QB on top of having slightly better overall passing numbers than Tua only illustrates that he's a better overall QB, IMO.