The Jets have signed OL Cedric Ogbuehi.

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

I know his name, know he was with us last year, simply do not recall him starting or how he played.  I was too busy refuting the legion of mike white fans that thought he was the answer and our starter for this year.

Understood, I was simply saying that not hearing his name was a good thing as you asked how he played. Yeah, the MW hype was nutty, but desperation will do that. 

2 hours ago, Lith said:

He was thrown into the action after we signed him off the street due to injury.  This signing, and all the talk of first round OTs and the potential for Becton 5th year option got me thinking.  Could there be a trade market for Becton?  Add a first round OT, have Ogbuehi and Mitchell as depth. 

What could you get for Becton with two years left on a rookie deal.

I don't see why we would trade Becton at a low and create a need doing so..

When healthy, he is a dominant run blocker and solid pass blocker.  

If there is an injury concern, he's not going to pass the acquiring team's physical.  

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, BurntDice said:

I used to think this way too, but now I lean towards LT. Becton is on the last year if his deal and very unreliable, brown is old as dirt. 

I can totally see Rookie LT, Tomlinson, Vet C or rookie, AVT, Becton

I tend to agree with you re: OT at 13.  I wouldn't underestimate Mitchell's health issues with blood clots either.  Talk's cheap.  Who knows if that condition is 100% resolved...

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Untouchable said:

I doubt you could get more than a 5th at this point but I’d honestly be fine with that.

Dude hasn’t played in two years and has displayed plenty of immaturity and Kleenex skin during that span.

If he can be moved and bring us back a young, cheap depth piece at the end of the month to add to the DL, LB corps, interior OL, etc then I’m okay with it.

I think a conditional 5th would be a steal with him. And even then he would have to play a full season to get a 5th. Obviously that's not going to happen.

I don’t think this move changes the OT strategy much at all, particularly not related to the draft or a Becton trade due to a sudden perceived surplus at the position.  Ogbuehi is a nice guy to have around for depth, but I don’t think he’ll even be considered a primary backup.  I think it’s an acknowledgment that the current top 3 OTs all have injury and/or age concerns and that it will be good to go 5 deep at the position (including the anticipated high draft pick). 

Barring a preseason injury, Ogbuehi will probably be stashed on the practice squad for a rainy day.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

Ogbuehi is the 5th OT on the roster, Eric Smith is also on the team for now. Ogbuehi played reasonably will as a last minute signing / fill-in last year. Good move to bring him back as a depth piece. Douglas is not trading away Becton nor should he.

9 hours ago, dbatesman said:

Ogbuehi was fine. IIRC the run game took off a bit when he was in there. Feels like we need to light the @#27TheDominator signal

Ha.  Yeah.  I saw it and decided not to fight with the chuckleheads.  Not a guy you want starting, but I think he can play guard and LT.  Much better at LT than say - Remmers.  He took over at RT when AVT went down and played 100% of the snaps at RT for NE - Buff - NE stretch where he seemed like part of the solution.  I think he hurt his groin against Chicago and didn't return until a few snaps against Seattle and then he played the entire game in the "showcase" against Miami.  I think he was LT with Remmers on the right.  Glad they have him in, but he doesn't really move the needle.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, jetlaw said:

It’s a solid depth move. Though he did a good job running blocking and wasn’t totally pathetic pass blocking last year. I do think this, along with bringing back Duane Brown, signals we may trade down to flip those extra picks to Green Bay.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

I would be calling teams #14-32 notifying them that #13 is on the trade board and providing draft pick compensation for each team. 10 minutes OTC, you entertain offers and make a decision…. Trade out or make the pick. JD needs to be decisive!

9 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

I would be calling teams #14-32 notifying them that #13 is on the trade board and providing draft pick compensation for each team. 10 minutes OTC, you entertain offers and make a decision…. Trade out or make the pick. JD needs to be decisive!

They probably already have and will continue to do so until draft nights

Greg Gabriel @ggabefootball

Most clubs will have their entire boards set by the end of this week. Then it’s on to preparing a strategy for the draft that not only includes players they want to select but getting into position to select them via trades. Always a fun exercise

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

There are about 13-15 players with a first round grade.  If you trade back, better get more than the charts points in return.  Any pick beyond 18 is a second round pick in terms of talent quality.

Barring being overwhelmed, take the stud.  We already have 2 second rounders.  You won't find a Sauce or Garrett Wilson type difference maker if you trade.  Sign a few veteran OL to bolster tackle and center, if you have too.  Rodgers has a real quick release and knows how to spot and burn blitzes.  Having Breece back will help a lot too.

18 hours ago, MykePM said:

I don’t think this move changes the OT strategy much at all, particularly not related to the draft or a Becton trade due to a sudden perceived surplus at the position.  Ogbuehi is a nice guy to have around for depth, but I don’t think he’ll even be considered a primary backup.  I think it’s an acknowledgment that the current top 3 OTs all have injury and/or age concerns and that it will be good to go 5 deep at the position (including the anticipated high draft pick). 

Barring a preseason injury, Ogbuehi will probably be stashed on the practice squad for a rainy day.

Exactly, last season our OL allowed our QB’s to be sacked almost twice as many times than Tampa Bay OL allowed, so why are so many people assuming there is no way we can have a repeat of last season’s injuries happening again to our OL next season?

I agree if this guy is only responsible for allowing 1 sack in 5 games that’s not too bad considering our OL gave up a total of 42 sacks.

• Upvote 1