Mike Tomlin comments on Patriots’ sneaky draft move

10 hours ago, Untouchable said:

I love how all of these dickbags are just assuming that the Jets were dead set on taking a project OT in the Top 15.

If the Jets drafted an OT in the 1st, the dude was going to spend his rookie year as a backup swing tackle unless something happened to Brown/Becton.

Yet that was somehow supposed to help us immediately…

Clowns

They weren’t taking Jones 

• Upvote 4
  • Thumb Down 1

46 minutes ago, Anthony Jet said:

They weren’t taking Jones 

I agree

Which immediately destroys this whole “the Pats/Steelers bent the Jets over a barrel” narrative.

Hell, even if the Jets really did want Jones, the drop back of two spots was more than worth it to seal the deal with Green Bay and get Rodgers acclimated with the team from the jump.

The Jets have had garbage at QB for the last half century outside of a few very select years here and there.

But this whole “the Jets missed out on the 4th ranked, project OT who they DEFINITELY were going to take and were forced to settle on the twitchiest passrusher in the draft, oh what a catastrophe” bullsh*t is being spewed left, right and center.

• Upvote 4
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

12 hours ago, Bungaman said:

"Left in the dust"? Hardly. It was a trade up and down. Made sense for both teams, no matter who was in the middle. 

Screw both teams - I loath them both, and just want to be sure we kick their asses when we play them. That's about it.

Sometimes you have to be careful what you wish for.  I mean, if MacDonald turns out to be a great player, and our 4th round draft pick, an offensive tackle, turns out to be a very good player, then the Jets will have had the last laugh.  

It could happen!  That is what we can hope for.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

12 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

Is it really shocking that an NFL team maneuvered in the draft to acquire an extra pick with the certainty that the player they would want at their original pick would still be available with their newly acquired spot?  That is just drafting 101. If you don't do that, it is malfeasance. The fact you can do it to injure a division rival is just icing on the cake. 

There was no certainty at all that the player was going to be available. No reason that Gonzalez couldn't have gone 16

watch the jets get the last laugh.  becton plays at probowl level and the jets destroy the pats twice in one season.  bonus when mcdonald sacks the pats qb.

belichick is washed up.  his slick draft move means nothing. 

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I find that so interesting. Should also be noted that the Steelers have been pretty bad at drafting OL. I wonder how bad Jones is off the field

They could’ve easily traded with the Steelers also if they wanted him, they didn’t 

• Upvote 3

16 hours ago, bitonti said:

honestly I don't think JD was all that intent at drafting an OT to be a swing or OT4 behind Mitchell at 15

Brown is making almost 10 mil and is going to play

Becton is a huge question mark but it's unlikely Broderick Jones is better than him at RT on day 1 

it's an all in year they aren't drafting Jones to sit him they need players that will play real reps 

I think Warren is exactly the kind of prospect he wanted to Draft by using a pick only as high as the 4th Round.  Warren seemed to slide because of his injury but has the size and upside that gives him a good chance of developing into an average starter after a year or so.  Could he be a Jason Fabini?  I think Warren and Mitchell are both interesting guys to watch develop.

• Upvote 2

23 hours ago, Beerfish said:

The scenario is the fault of the jets and douglas for getting owned in the Rodgers trade, not in the predictable aftermath.

Getting owned in the Rodgers trade??? What a truly idiotic statement. Shows some fans just like to constantly whine.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

I really can't  believe there is so much focus on this. Jones was not projected as a cornerstone OT, more so he was a consolation prize for missing out on the OL that went before him. The Pats may have actually done the Jets a favor forcing them to draft on the defensive side of the ball because thos was a weak offensive draft. 

• Upvote 2

23 hours ago, Untouchable said:

I think if a guy like Skoronski would’ve fallen to the Jets, they would’ve taken him.

A technically refined prospect who could start immediately and compares favorably to a guy like AVT.

A guy like Jones is a different bag entirely. He’s a great athlete with a lot of upside, but he’s incredibly raw.

I just really question what kind of impact, if any, he would have as a rookie on this team.

It seems like everyone in the media is running with this narrative that the Jets were dead-set on taking an OT at #15, didn’t care who it was, and the Pats/Steelers f*cked them.

Rookie olineman tend to struggle as rookies. Even Andrew Thomas who is a beast now was terrible as a rook. I remember DBrick wasn’t great either his first year. 

On 5/20/2023 at 10:42 AM, Flashlite80 said:

The Jets definitely looked like they were working the phones to trade out of the spot.  When time ran out, they picked a solid edge rusher projected 10 -15 spots later.  A pick at the position with the most depth on the roster, when offensive needs, were clear.  I was surprised they didn't pivot to Njigba to replace Corey Davis and save $11 MM.  We have the 14th rated WR group.  Njigba might have been a difference maker.  

New England definitely impacted the Jets pick.

mooning sunday drive GIF by Scorpion Dagger

• Haha 1

On 5/20/2023 at 9:11 AM, Untouchable said:

I love how all of these dickbags are just assuming that the Jets were dead set on taking a project OT in the Top 15.

If the Jets drafted an OT in the 1st, the dude was going to spend his rookie year as a backup swing tackle unless something happened to Brown/Becton.

Clowns

On target. One way to look at it is Pittsburgh got played by the Patriots and Jets and lost a 4th round pick. The Jets were not taking Jones. 

On 5/20/2023 at 9:11 AM, Untouchable said:

Clowns

Had we taken Jones, I guarantee you Becton would’ve been traded. We wouldn’t have received much, but there’s no way they were taking somebody in the first round to sit on the bench on a win now team. We already know how this organization feels about Becton, the quicker they can get out from under(no pun) him, the better.

On 5/20/2023 at 2:17 PM, peekskill68 said:

Hyping Belichick screwing the Jets has been a tried and true formula for reporters to get clicks and eyeballs since the napkin...

Which 1JD smashed to pieces in last nights episode.

JD correctly guessed they would trade out, correctly guessed to the Steelers and clearly didn’t care because the Jets were hoping McDonald fell otherwise were going JSN

• Upvote 2

On 5/20/2023 at 9:07 AM, Scott Dierking said:

Is it really shocking that an NFL team maneuvered in the draft to acquire an extra pick with the certainty that the player they would want at their original pick would still be available with their newly acquired spot?  That is just drafting 101. If you don't do that, it is malfeasance. The fact you can do it to injure a division rival is just icing on the cake. 

Not only this, but we traded with the pats later in the draft.  Complete non-story

• Sympathy 1

6 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Which 1JD smashed to pieces in last nights episode.

JD correctly guessed they would trade out, correctly guessed to the Steelers and clearly didn’t care because the Jets were hoping McDonald fell otherwise were going JSN

Sounds like they were going Mayer if McDonald was gone.  

• Upvote 4

13 minutes ago, SackExchangeNYJ said:

There is a lot of talk about McDonald planting Mac Jones when the Jets play the Pats. Does anyone really want this to happen?

I want Mac Jones playing as many snaps as possible for the Patriots this year.

Please, Wilbur, don't hurt him!

Lol. Good point.

The one time we knocked out a Pats starting QB and their backup came in..............yeah, never mind. Don't want to think or talk about that😒

• Upvote 1