Jets sign OT Cajuste

14 minutes ago, mrcoops said:

Low-cost depth move for pre-season. Hard to see this guy sticking on the 53, unless someone else gets injured.

He was highly regarded when he came out.  I remember people on here extolling his virtues. Maybe his skills are more suited to our system? Maybe they stash him on the practice squad and see what he's got in case we need a tackle or two next year? 

This is another blown pick by Belli and the Pats regardless of what he does going forward.  Another reminder of how much of a crap shoot the draft can be.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

19 minutes ago, Thai Jet said:

Low risk, nice reward possibility . I like the move. Provides veteran depth. 

It's a nice move for depth. But with Brown, Becton, Mitchell, Turner and Warren already on the roster, Cajuste is unlikely to stick on the 53. Could definitely see him landing on the PS though.

4 minutes ago, mrcoops said:

It's a nice move for depth. But with Brown, Becton, Mitchell, Turner and Warren already on the roster, Cajuste is unlikely to stick on the 53. Could definitely see him landing on the PS though.

I guess that after what we went thru last year, Douglas doesn't want to run out of tackles.  Hopefully he never sees the field this year.

• Upvote 4

Cajuste was drafted by the New England Patriots in the third round (101st overall) of the 2019 NFL Draft. He was placed on the non-football injury list to start the season after undergoing quad surgery.

On September 10, 2020, Cajuste was placed on injured reserve with a knee injury.

Cajuste entered the 2021 as a backup tackle for the Patriots. He made his first career starts in Weeks 5 and 6 at right tackle.

On October 1, 2022, Cajuste was placed on injured reserve with a thumb injury. He was activated on October 29.

On May 18, 2023, Cajuste was waived by New England.

He redshirted his first year, and then started the first six games of the 2015 season at left tackle before missing the rest of the regular season with a knee injury (returned as a reserve for the Cactus Bowl). Another knee injury ended his 2016 after just one start at left tackle. Cajuste stayed healthy throughout his junior year, garnering second-team All-Big 12 honors after starting all 13 games on the blind side. He shared the Big 12 Offensive Lineman of the Year award with two other draft prospects (Kansas State's Dalton Risner, Oklahoma's Dru Samia) in 2018, starting 11 games at left tackle for the Mountaineers. He did not play in WVU's bowl game so he could focus on the draft.

• Sympathy 1

5 minutes ago, rangerous said:

Sounds like this guy has some talent but just can’t or hasn’t shaken the injury bug.

Which seems to be the theme with our OTs

Have to wonder if there are lingering health concerns with Brown &/or Mitchell. We know Becton is. 

14 minutes ago, CTJetsFan said:

Have to wonder if there are lingering health concerns with Brown &/or Mitchell. We know Becton is. 

Mini camp is coming up....They need OT bodies..

I'm guessing Brown is barely doing anything and won't until 1/2 way through TC (shoulder surgery rehab, 38 yrs old & 15+ yr vet)...Becton isn't practicing yet and will probably be on a pitch count when he does..

Ogbuehi probably asked to be cut since he signed with Miami a couple of days after his release.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 2

8 minutes ago, CTJetsFan said:

Well, brown is pushing 40 and he played pretty well but also had that injury. He was able to play through it.  I certainly don’t know a thing about Mitchell’s injury.  Could be something short term.  Becton? I think it’s amazing how injuries go away when some of these guys are playing for a contract.  It’s just a tough game.  Hopefully this caluste guy has outgrown many of these issues and can at least be a spot starter.

31 minutes ago, C Mart said:

I'm guessing Brown is barely doing anything and won't until 1/2 way through TC (shoulder surgery rehab, 38 yrs old & 15+ yr vet)...Becton isn't practicing yet and will probably be on a pitch count when he does..

Ogbuehi probably asked to be cut since he signed with Miami a couple of days after his release.

All true.  Cajuste appears to, essentially, be the the replacement for Ogbuehi - a veteran who can play in pre-season while other guys get healthy, and provide an emergency option in case someone else suffers the injury bug.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

6 hours ago, C Mart said:

Cajuste was drafted by the New England Patriots in the third round (101st overall) of the 2019 NFL Draft. He was placed on the non-football injury list to start the season after undergoing quad surgery.

On September 10, 2020, Cajuste was placed on injured reserve with a knee injury.

Cajuste entered the 2021 as a backup tackle for the Patriots. He made his first career starts in Weeks 5 and 6 at right tackle.

On October 1, 2022, Cajuste was placed on injured reserve with a thumb injury. He was activated on October 29.

He redshirted his first year, and then started the first six games of the 2015 season at left tackle before missing the rest of the regular season with a knee injury (returned as a reserve for the Cactus Bowl). Another knee injury ended his 2016 after just one start at left tackle. Cajuste stayed healthy throughout his junior year, garnering second-team All-Big 12 honors after starting all 13 games on the blind side. He shared the Big 12 Offensive Lineman of the Year award with two other draft prospects (Kansas State's Dalton Risner, Oklahoma's Dru Samia) in 2018, starting 11 games at left tackle for the Mountaineers. He did not play in WVU's bowl game so he could focus on the draft.

So a pillar of health... Should fill in right behind Becton 

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Sammybighead said:

I remember really liking him as well coming out. That said, don't the pats desperately need tackles and they cut him? Should say all we need to know...

I could be wrong, but he was a 2019 draft pick.  They get 4 year contracts, so, he contract was up at the end of 2022.  

If that's the case, he didn't get cut.  He just didn't get resigned.  Sounds like backup material to me!

12 hours ago, Alka said:

I could be wrong, but he was a 2019 draft pick.  They get 4 year contracts, so, he contract was up at the end of 2022.  

If that's the case, he didn't get cut.  He just didn't get resigned.  Sounds like backup material to me!

He didn't have enough years to qualify for unrestricted free agency, as he had spent a year on the NFI list.  The Pats give him the original round tender as an RFA, but then eventually him go after the draft: 

https://www.si.com/nfl/patriots/news/new-england-patriots-tender-yodny-cajuste-original-round-offensive-line-tackle-calvin-anderson-riley-reiff-rumors

https://www.si.com/nfl/patriots/news/new-england-patriots-release-yodny-cajuste-offensive-tackle-competition-trent-brown-depth-chart

22 hours ago, C Mart said:

Pitch count?  That ****er should be throwing full games already!  It's in our best interest for him to return but if he's not game ready by now he's dead weight... Oh, and by the way.... he shouldn't care what side of the QB he's playing on when he ate dollar bills for the last how many seasons and did virtually nothing.

On 5/30/2023 at 9:52 AM, C Mart said:

Sounds like he adds depth to the injured reserve list.