Schefter- PGA Tour and Liv Golf Merge

12 minutes ago, Stark said:

Tiger.... only person that comes to mind that could bring the viewership and fanbase. Tiger and Jack backed league... might be only viable option. and no I have not put much thought into this response other than those 2 are the face of golf and Tiger is still the biggest draw today (TV).. 

The Monday Night league he's doing w/ Rory could be the catalyst.  They've already landed big name draws like Rahm, Homa, Scott, Fowler, JT, etc.  Could jump start something.  Tiger was one of the most vocal about it and Jack just recently said he doesnt even recognize those guys as players.  He's not going to like how that looks now.  He built the PGA tour.  Could motivate it to happen....

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, greenwichjetfan said:

Imagine all the golfers who stuck with the PGA despite being offered ludicrous contracts because they believed in the integrity and tradition of the PGA? They lost out on hundreds of millions, and now have to show face with the same folks they turned down from a morally higher ground. 

They actually trusted the PGA, huge mistake, get the money while you can.

8 hours ago, Pac said:

Those who had integrity and wouldn't take blood money lost out on millions and now don't even have the moral high ground to fall back on. 

That is some shafting  (no pun intended). 

The phone you posted this on and the sneakers you are wearing are made by slaves.

1 hour ago, Larz said:

No politics 

the 9/11 victims families are pretty upset about this. I don’t blame them. I don’t like it. 

No politics 

Wasn't it just released two of them were CIA....I'm guessing that wasn't reported on the nightly news.

9 hours ago, JiF said:

Whoa, this is not what I would have predicted from Jay Monahan, what a turn of events.  I think the PGA had to do this, especially w/ LIV showing out in the Majors but I didnt expect it to happen so quickly.  Especially w/ all the vitriol that has been spread..  I think this is good for golf but man, if I were a PGA member who had a big offer and turned it down to stay on the tour, not sure how I'd feel about this situation and if I'm a LIV dude who took a boat load of money and is not essentially part of the umbrella tour, I'm laughing my ass off. 

@southparkcpa @Green Ghost @Jimmy 2 Times @Stark @Pac

The Tour was relying on a reported $2-300 mil reserve fund to boost purse money and increase PIP money.
Sponsors like AT&T and Honda dropped sponsorship of tournaments rather than pay increased sponsor fees. 
Throw in the cost of multiple lawsuits, mediocre fields due to the new “elite events and the specter of unlimited Saudi money backing the LIV Tour, the very real threat of losing a fortune in court, and the Tour was probably wise to cut a deal like this.

Make no mistake though, this isn’t a merger. It’s the Saudi government taking control of professional golf. Monahan might be CEO, but like any other corporation a CEO answers to the Chairmen of the Board, who in this case is the Saudi who controls the purse strings.

Money talks. The Saudi’s threw a billion or so into 2 years of LIV. They bought a few big names and eventually got more than they originally wanted from the PGAT, which was a few star studded mega events. They got control of professional golf.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Leftylarry said:

You know, I'm a traditionalist and golf is a traditional game but I think in this case, Phil Mickelson explained it best and got me on his side:

"""I'm pushing 50 years old, if i agree to attend a tourney, the TV viewership might go up by 50,000- 500,000  or more for that tourney, the attendance goes up too, people purchase hats and shirts etc , the pGA, local club and TV all make a lot of money and i might miss the cut or finish 32nd and not even pay my expenses for the week , how is that fair?""""

Now, my being an American, to me, getting rid of the Saudi's or any foreign entity in the sport, OK the brits, scots and Irish invented it, LOL , is a good idea but unfortunately  and too all of our chagrin, that isn't what is going on now in the world, money talks, along with LEFTIST policies though , in this case, Money talked louder, left hates the Saudi's.

The left hates the Saudis?

I guess only the left lost people to the Saudis who flew plains into the WTC.

🤣

57 minutes ago, paulyjet said:

That's only on conspiracy theory YouTube. Wtf is wrong with you?

Nvm. I already know.

Yeah documents released three weeks ago confirmed a few pilots were CIA recruits I'm sorry if that destroys your world view. 

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1

Fk the Saudi's.  We've been rolling out the red carpet for them for far too long.  The only plane to get permission to leave USA air space immediately post 911, etc.  Something VERY fishy in this relationship with them.  And now this. 

• Upvote 2

17 hours ago, jvill 51 said:

As they should be. Monahan used the blood of 9/11 victims to browbeat them into staying, and then turned around and sold them right down the river as soon as it was most economically convenient for him. He is as big of a POS as anyone in this equation (minus the guys who execute and/or hack to bits dissidents and gay people and fund terrorist attacks, etc., of course).

Well, that is modern economics.  Somewhere in the ether, Adam Smith is weeping.

11 hours ago, hokiejetfan92 said:

Sucks for the golfers that stayed in the PGA.  If you took the Liv $$$, you had a little more than 1 year in the start up league before you're back in the PGA with hundreds of millions more. Rory and Spieth are like... what?

They are not though.  Sounds like the LIV guys are livid because they will lose their money as well.  

i get the sentiment but again the media determines which play they want to use and behind the scenes to whose advantage it is. Where was the outrage the first Sat in May when NBC is broadcasting the KY Derby? They praise Godolphin and talk about what they mean to the sport - uh in case anyone is not aware, Godolphin is the Saudi's and they basically bought out American thoroughbred racing years ago.

Not a peep and although the Belmont will hardly be noticed because there is no triple crown contender, if there was, all of the publicity this week would not even bring a mention of the Saudi's or their invovlement.