Don’t shoot the messenger

slats

10 minutes ago, slats said:

Lots of threads here about whose fault is what, who should be fired, what they should do next, etc., and I get it, I’m just as frustrated as any Jet fan right about now. Thing is, while I absolutely have no desire to stifle such conversations, I don’t think any changes are coming. 

I expect JD, Saleh, and Hackett all to be back. They'll probably scapegoat the OL coach, but the band will most likely all be back together next season with AR at QB and some positive reinforcements at WR and OL (Flying Spaghetti Monster willing). Same goes for drafting a QB, I really don’t see it. Maybe a late round guy? 

It would be nice if they cut Zach. Wish I thought that was a stronger possibility. 

Vent away, but the Jets have a clearly stated policy: image.jpeg

200w.webp?cid=ecf05e475mcye17y0dikfrimck

• Post of the Week 1

10 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

I basically agree. 

I think all of the "let's use our first round pick on Bo Nix" stuff is fun to dream about, but not happening. Rodgers will be the QB, Saleh will be the HC, and Hackett will be the OC. We'll have a new WR2 and a couple of new starters on the OL. 

And, btw, the Jets will win a meaningless game or two down the stretch that you can't imagine right now just to f*ck up our draft position. It's what we do. 

If next year is another non-playoff year, Douglas and Saleh will get whacked. 

This is it. They'll need two starting tackles, at least one interior OL, a wide receiver, a backup quarterback who doesn't make me want to die, and probably something else that I'm forgetting. Not exactly a ton of resources to throw at that list either. With an EXTREMELY good offseason and a ton of luck, maybe they're contenders next year but what are the odds that either of those things happen. 

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, slats said:

Lots of threads here about whose fault is what, who should be fired, what they should do next, etc., and I get it, I’m just as frustrated as any Jet fan right about now. Thing is, while I absolutely have no desire to stifle such conversations, I don’t think any changes are coming. 

I expect JD, Saleh, and Hackett all to be back. They'll probably scapegoat the OL coach, but the band will most likely all be back together next season with AR at QB and some positive reinforcements at WR and OL (Flying Spaghetti Monster willing). Same goes for drafting a QB, I really don’t see it. Maybe a late round guy? 

It would be nice if they cut Zach. Wish I thought that was a stronger possibility. 

Vent away, but the Jets have a clearly stated policy: image.jpeg

I think as things have unfolded the time to make the qb change was at the break.  I get the whole argument that Zach was playing well but the coaching staff must’ve seen the same problems that plague him now.  And if not at the break then after the chargers game.

4 minutes ago, bitonti said:

This is the genius of Joe Douglas 

I'll give him credit. He is amazing at two things: trading assets and keeping his job 

everyone comes back is  predictable. Because Aaron Rodgers. 

And it's not like ownership has any better ideas 

Keith Carter should be fired by the way he's terrible too 

I really think he is just benefiting from the fact that the fanbase is so beaten down the anger barely exists anymore. 

He wouldn't have lasted 3 seasons if he was the GM that got hired right after Tanny.

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

There's no reason to expect anything different next year just like there was no reason to expect any different this year. Woody was never going to spend more money on another quarterback. He got the benefit of having Rodgers by signing Rodgers, not by Rodgers playing. Douglas and Saleh were either going to get a mulligan or not, and if not the only think that was going to save them was a Zach Wilson miracle specifically. Douglas got hired after free agency and the draft and that immediately became the first line of his obituary. Everything he did from that point was directed to putting off as long as possible the point when he was actually going to be considered to be on the hook for everything. Saleh got demoted to head coach of the defense as soon as Rodgers took the Hackett bait. He's covered every spot on the yet another press conference about why the quarterback sucks bingo card, from ride or die dawg to throwing people under the bus to pretending not to understand the question, in the last month alone.

Wilson was a failure of competence, but more than that a failure of incentives. Whatever Rodgers's motivations for wanting to continue to play, they are at least presumably rationally related to the Jets winning football games. Realistically, what reason did these goofballs actually have to never have let Wilson happen in the first place? Rodgers is a fruit loop, but when the plane is going down, it's better to have anybody trying to land it than it is to have nobody trying to land it.

• Post of the Week 1

Ehhh I can see if we don’t win another game this season or perhaps only one more win it forces Woody to clean house.  You just can’t sit back on your hands while this GM and coach have consistently been failures for years now.  Saleh for 3 years and JD going on 5 now.  

4 minutes ago, Prodigal Syndicate said:

I really think he is just benefiting from the fact that the fanbase is so beaten down the anger barely exists anymore. 

He wouldn't have lasted 3 seasons if he was the GM that got hired right after Tanny.

Joe Douglas doesn't have to win or please the millions of broken Jets fans 

He only has to convince woody he's doing this amazing job and oh what do you know, just got unlucky. 

Joe Douglas has stacked this roster with Aaron and Zach and woody likes these people personally. Woody's making money what does he care? 

• Upvote 3

Why would we shoot the messenger?  

Everyone knows all the principal pieces will be back.

Douglas, Saleh and Hackett are all back 100% for sure becasue the moment Rodgers went down they had the 'get out jail free' card of excuse in their back pocket.

We are stuck with Lazard but at least we can now safely ditch Cook, Turner and Cobb.

The GM, Head Coach and OC have all been utterly dreadful this year aside from the Rodgers injury but they are as safe as can be.

• Upvote 1

This is what you get for hiring someone who got fired, the wisdom

that his last employer was smarter than you and for the geniuses that

don't want a first time coach, how many successful coaches are looking

for their next job. My two best candidates for disaster clean up Dan Lanning,

Brian Hartline

The Jets always err on the side of caution, when it comes to moving on from failed head coaches.

They'd rather fire a guy a year too late than a year too early. 

The Johnsons likely worry about their perception around the League, in terms of hirings and firings. They must know the Jets head coaching job is well down the list of any attractive openings. They don't want to compound that by being seen as trigger happy, when it's actually just setting high standards. 

• Upvote 2
  • WTF? 1

2 minutes ago, K_O_Brien said:

The Jets always err on the side of caution, when it comes to moving on from failed head coaches.

They'd rather fire a guy a year too late than a year too early. 

The Johnsons likely worry about their perception around the League, in terms of hirings and firings. They must know the Jets head coaching job is well down the list of any attractive openings. They don't want to compound that by being seen as trigger happy, when it's actually just setting high standards. 

There's also the pesky issue of Joe and Robert having guaranteed 24.

Other owners will take the hit woody comes from the school of capital vs labor and he doesn't want to pay someone not to work. 

• Upvote 3

I agree I think Keith Carter is a goner. 

everything hinges on Rodgers obviously, who he supports, what he wants 

I would suggest a lot of people try to keep in mind that the NFL is television programming content that exists to make billionaires more billions. 

I think around 4 franchises were started by bookies (Steelers ,  Giants) and the ratings drive revenue so it’s not a level playing field at the end of the day.   Don’t let it bother you.  Take a breath 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Waka Flocka Flacco said:

There's no reason to expect anything different next year just like there was no reason to expect any different this year. Woody was never going to spend more money on another quarterback. He got the benefit of having Rodgers by signing Rodgers, not by Rodgers playing. Douglas and Saleh were either going to get a mulligan or not, and if not the only think that was going to save them was a Zach Wilson miracle specifically. Douglas got hired after free agency and the draft and that immediately became the first line of his obituary. Everything he did from that point was directed to putting off as long as possible the point when he was actually going to be considered to be on the hook for everything. Saleh got demoted to head coach of the defense as soon as Rodgers took the Hackett bait. He's covered every spot on the yet another press conference about why the quarterback sucks bingo card, from ride or die dawg to throwing people under the bus to pretending not to understand the question, in the last month alone.

Wilson was a failure of competence, but more than that a failure of incentives. Whatever Rodgers's motivations for wanting to continue to play, they are at least presumably rationally related to the Jets winning football games. Realistically, what reason did these goofballs actually have to never have let Wilson happen in the first place? Rodgers is a fruit loop, but when the plane is going down, it's better to have anybody trying to land it than it is to have nobody trying to land it.

Very well articulated. You nailed it, too. 

1 hour ago, Saul Goodman said:

It’ll take many years for this franchise to get out of the situation they’ve created by signing Rodgers. Arguably a much worse move than drafting Zach. Can’t draft a future QB while Rodgers is here and not enough cap space and draft picks to overhaul the offensive line.

And by the time Rodgers is gone, the young talent will want to move on.  

We are in a black hole, with no real options to escape. And Joe Douglas is 100% responsible. 

J!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Saul Goodman said:

It’ll take many years for this franchise to get out of the situation they’ve created by signing Rodgers. Arguably a much worse move than drafting Zach. Can’t draft a future QB while Rodgers is here and not enough cap space and draft picks to overhaul the offensive line.

And by the time Rodgers is gone, the young talent will want to move on.  

We are in a black hole, with no real options to escape. And Joe Douglas is 100% responsible. 

letting a GM desperate to save his job make big moves always ends poorly. They should have canned JD and started over. It's gonna get worse too because next year is one of the most Superbowl of Bust years for a team I've seen. Rodgers age means there's no "Progress"... and holy hell.. If the season doesn't end with a Superbowl, but it's enough for Woody to let JD try a post Rodgers rebuild... it's gonna long winter. 

• Upvote 1