Thanksgiving feast questions from a Canadian to my American friends...

Beerfish

1 hour ago, BP said:

When I’m belly up from beer, I switch to Pinot noir or an old fashion. I gotta get me one of them smoking machines and some brandy soaked cherries. Smoked old fashions are addictive.

As for scotch, I am a glenlivet or McCallan dude. I bought the mccallan special edition number 6 two years ago for $200.00 and it was better than the 18 year old. One serving per event (first one) with that sh*t and then back to 12 year old.

My "daily drinker" beverage is equal parts Powers Gold Label Irish Whisky, Disaronno Amaretto & Averna Sicilian Amaro (or Amaro Montenegro, or the Amaro of your choice), on ice, with a few drops of cherry bitters and a cocktail cherry.  No non-liquor mixers needed, makes a dark, strong, sweet drink I really love.  Great for chilling out with friends, watching a game, etc.  

When it comes to Scotch, I like variety and experience.  I want to try um' all (to badly paraphrase Pokemon).  I have some favs, but rarely buy the same bottle twice, the differences are part of the fun.  The one I can't wait for is the return of Rosebank, from Falkirk in the lowlands, because I have personal ties there, it's near where I was born, and it's been closed down since 1993 (I think) so the remaining stocks are way too pricey for casual drinking.

My wife did get me a nice 25 year old Benriach for my B-day this year, and an interesting Polish Oak Benromach I'm looking forward to trying tonight.    

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

5 minutes ago, Warfish said:

My "daily drinker" beverage is equal parts Powers Gold Label Irish Whisky, Disaronno Amaretto & Averna Sicilian Amaro (or Amaro Montenegro, or the Amaro of your choice), on ice, with a few drops of cherry bitters and a cocktail cherry.  No non-liquor mixers needed, makes a dark, strong, sweet drink I really love.  Great for chilling out with friends, watching a game, etc.  

When it comes to Scotch, I like variety and experience.  I want to try um' all (to badly paraphrase Pokemon).  I have some favs, but rarely buy the same bottle twice, the differences are part of the fun.  The one I can't wait for is the return of Rosebank, from Falkirk in the lowlands, because I have personal ties there, it's near where I was born, and it's been closed down since 1993 (I think) so the remaining stocks are way too pricey for casual drinking.

My wife did get me a nice 25 year old Benriach for my B-day this year, and an interesting Polish Oak Benromach I'm looking forward to trying tonight.    

Nice! My friend Gordon (Scottish Jet) came over for a game last year and he smuggled some 4 packs of tennents and a little bottle of the balvenie 14 year old single malt scotch. 

bucket list is to go on a distillery tour of glenlivet and mccallan. I don’t think I’ll be walking home

• Upvote 2

15 hours ago, Ron Rico said:

But have you ever eaten Ricatta cheese right out of the container, with a spoon, like it was yogurt?

Daughter in law introduced us to eating fresh ricotta with Mike's Hot Honey on fresh Italian bread. Much better if you get it from a good Italian Brooklyn salumeria, Arthur Ave. or Uncle Giusseppe's. in NJ or LI. Everyone in this story is Irish spare the probable soon to be daughter in law, who's Naplatano/Sicilian.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, OilfieldJet said:

Rose, nice.

We did trip to Niece one year and took a couple of day trips into Provence and I feel in love w/ Rose.  Pretty trendy now, everyone is Cali is doing one but it's fun varietal.  Super drinkable, great to pair everything from white meat to fish, great for warm weather climate drinking.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I guess you get at least a point for the whiskey. I will never understand the infatuation some “men” have with sipping warm grape juice, let alone when there’s beer or spirits available.

Have some dignity, ffs.

^^^^ loves a nice Cosmo but will dip into his Malibu Rum when feeling frisky.

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Do you shove your nose in the glass and then swish it around your mouth for a few seconds or more so the whole room can see how much you’re enjoying it? If so, I must despise you now.

Sperm, you really need to go to a good Vineyard and learn why people do the things you despise. Some wines are very fragrant. Not that they smell great but there are scents that give you an idea what to expect. The swishing btw isn't  necessary.  You just need to hold it in your mouth. This is so you can taste the finish. When you see someone swirl wine in a glass, it is so they can see the tanens. They are streaks of wine that fall from the top to the bottom. The more streaks, the better the wine. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

I love Whiskey, Bourbon, Scotch, Tequila and Mezcal.  I love all beer that isnt an IPA.  Dont really **** w/ Vodka, Rum or Gin.  My got to beverages of choice would be from that group but I love wine.  I think the entire process is fascinating as well.  And to not drink wine because your to manly, is a really stupid reason to deprive yourself of one of life's greatest gifts. 

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, JiF said:

I love Whiskey, Bourbon, Scotch, Tequila and Mezcal.  I love all beer that isnt an IPA.  Dont really **** w/ Vodka, Rum or Gin.  My got to beverages of choice would be from that group but I love wine.  I think the entire process is fascinating as well.  And to not drink wine because your to manly, is a really stupid reason to deprive yourself of one of life's greatest gifts. 

@Sperm Edwards's derision notwithstanding, sitting in the Piazza Navona in Rome, just people watching for hours as folks walked past the Fontana dei Fiumi and Fontana del Moro, sipping truly exceptional Borolo wine, was an experience I would not have missed for the world.  

If that makes me "not manly", well, così è la vita!

• Upvote 2

Don't know what is on the menu today.  We are heading to my daughter in law's family.  Her brother and sister in law are professional chefs and they are doing all the cooking.  They met in Culinary school - he is the traditional chef who will take care of dinner and she is a pastry chef, so she has got dessert.

Its funny because I really don't much care for either of them -- the brother or sister-in-law.  But they will have a chance to head up a few notches in my eyes today.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, JiF said:

Best blend scotch I’ve had in years.  

IMG_5060.jpeg

• Upvote 1

On 11/22/2023 at 6:33 PM, Beerfish said:

So up here in Canada we have our thanksgiving a good month or more before the 'real' thanksgiving.  (Why this is I do not know.)

It appears to be a much bigger deal in the USA, here we have a day off and the feast but it seems a bit more low key.

So a few feast related questions:

- Is green bean casserole as vile as it sounds?  I mean I am a meat and potatoes kind of guy, potatoes and gravy, stuffing, turkey, cranberry sauce, even love ham if it is on the menu for a feast.  I do not want to use valuable 'plate space' on a green bean casserole.  I mean if you are going to force me to eat a veggie other than taters at least make it one of the good veggies.  The worst is if you have to be polite and try the stuff if someone has made it.  (I fully expect to be scolded on this and told how ya'lls aunts, wife's, mothers green bean casserole is divine.)

- I know we have a LOT of Italians on this site....(yeah....tomato gravy instead of tomato sauce).  Is there any traditional Italian dishes you prepare and have at thanksgiving?   I love Italian food but have rarely had the 'real thing' as opposed to simulated stuff.

- Who mostly prepares the feast?  Do you?  The wife?  Mother or mother in law?  Or have you finally trained your adult kids to invite you over so you can sit in the easy chair drink wine watch football and let everyone else do the work?

(And yes I do have friends don't be mean suggesting otherwise!)

1. I actually like green bean casserole. So I guess the short answer is no.

2. I am of Italian descent. When I was young and my parents generation were still around we would have lasagna and antipasto as a first course. Haven’t done that in years. The problem was you would fill up prior to the traditional turkey dinner we would also eat.

3.  When I was young we would go to my aunts house where her and my mother (her sister) prepared the food. My uncle, her husband, also helped with the cooking. Today in my senior years we gather at my sister’s house for cocktails then go out to dinner. Boy, times have changed!! 

Anyway, hope this helps! Even though you celebrated Thanksgiving last month, wishing you and everyone a Happy United States Thanksgiving !

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, JiF said:

We did trip to Niece one year and took a couple of day trips into Provence and I feel in love w/ Rose.  Pretty trendy now, everyone is Cali is doing one but it's fun varietal.  Super drinkable, great to pair everything from white meat to fish, great for warm weather climate drinking.

You caused me to start chilling a bottle.

• Upvote 3

On 11/22/2023 at 3:33 PM, Beerfish said:

So up here in Canada we have our thanksgiving a good month or more before the 'real' thanksgiving.  (Why this is I do not know.)

It appears to be a much bigger deal in the USA, here we have a day off and the feast but it seems a bit more low key.

So a few feast related questions:

- Is green bean casserole as vile as it sounds?  I mean I am a meat and potatoes kind of guy, potatoes and gravy, stuffing, turkey, cranberry sauce, even love ham if it is on the menu for a feast.  I do not want to use valuable 'plate space' on a green bean casserole.  I mean if you are going to force me to eat a veggie other than taters at least make it one of the good veggies.  The worst is if you have to be polite and try the stuff if someone has made it.  (I fully expect to be scolded on this and told how ya'lls aunts, wife's, mothers green bean casserole is divine.)

- I know we have a LOT of Italians on this site....(yeah....tomato gravy instead of tomato sauce).  Is there any traditional Italian dishes you prepare and have at thanksgiving?   I love Italian food but have rarely had the 'real thing' as opposed to simulated stuff.

- Who mostly prepares the feast?  Do you?  The wife?  Mother or mother in law?  Or have you finally trained your adult kids to invite you over so you can sit in the easy chair drink wine watch football and let everyone else do the work?

(And yes I do have friends don't be mean suggesting otherwise!)

It's bigger here because, well plainly, it is giving thanks to god for our blessings and such, our country.

I prepare the turkey and my wife covers the other stuff. But we split stuff on  who makes what better. I take the bacon Mac and cheese too.

My wife family took this year as host, to give us break with baby. They follow basically the same format. Other family is invited to bring something if they want usually like desert, deviled eggs or something small but good

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I guess you get at least a point for the whiskey. I will never understand the infatuation some “men” have with sipping warm grape juice, let alone when there’s beer or spirits available.

Have some dignity, ffs.

It’s delicious, gets you drunk, and doesn’t give me acid reflux or make me sick.  

if that makes me not a man then I’m not a man, and will have to just live with Sperm Edwards thinking less of me.  :( 

• Haha 1

When I was kid we always had antipasto followed by baked ziti, lasagna or spaghetti with white clam sauce. As far as “sides” my only recollection is baked clams. Some years a turkey breast was made for those who wanted an “American” Thanksgiving … as if there was some other kind? 

My wife introduced me to traditional thanksgiving food - meh. We ditched it more than a decade ago. Our "new" traditional Thanksgiving meal is steak and pan seared scallops with sides of steamed Italian clams, mashed potatoes and stuffing (I think my son insisted on including the stuffing). My daughter and I always make a new desert each year. This year it was eggnog pie.

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

Sperm, you really need to go to a good Vineyard and learn why people do the things you despise. Some wines are very fragrant. Not that they smell great but there are scents that give you an idea what to expect. The swishing btw isn't  necessary.  You just need to hold it in your mouth. This is so you can taste the finish. When you see someone swirl wine in a glass, it is so they can see the tanens. They are streaks of wine that fall from the top to the bottom. The more streaks, the better the wine. 

I need to do no such thing. Dad raised me to be a man. 

Watching "men" fawn over sniffing and tasting their warm grape juice is cringy.