Will Bryce Huff get extended?

Bronx

12 minutes ago, extmenace said:

He’ll get the franchise tag and then will be shopped. He’s got value, said this earlier in the year, it wouldn’t surprise me if he was involved in devante Adams trade discussions. Too many holes to put more money into the d line, If the jets are smart they up his snap count and let him pad his stats. Get that value as high as possible.

This is the most prudent and likely scenario. I thought earlier in the season there was a chance that they would use the Franchise Tag on Becton and re-sign or let Huff walk, but Becton hasn't been good enough to warrant the franchise tag.

The best option is to tag Huff with transition or franchise and see if there is a trade partner.

• Upvote 4

9 minutes ago, NYDreamer said:

I want to resign him and keep him on this team.  This is reminiscent of trading John Abraham away and Huff is healthy.  Carl Lawson won't be here.  I would give that money towards Huff.

We have more than Shaun Ellis talent on the D line this time around. We just spent two first rounders on DE’s the last two drafts. When McDonald was picked, it made it nearly impossible to resign huff. He’ll be good elsewhere, but we have enough upside behind him to put that money into other more pressing needs.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

I think the Jets will franchise tag him and then trade him for a 2nd round pick.  

They won’t  have a ton of leverage because teams know the Jets will not be able to afford the roughly $20M franchise tag ..  not with huge holes on their offensive roster.

I wonder what they offered for him before the trade deadline. 

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, extmenace said:

He’ll get the franchise tag and then will be shopped. He’s got value, said this earlier in the year, it wouldn’t surprise me if he was involved in devante Adams trade discussions. Too many holes to put more money into the d line, If the jets are smart they up his snap count and let him pad his stats. Get that value as high as possible.

Serious doubt B Huff would be involved in any D Adams trade. Like the Jets the Raiders have a lot money tied up in the De position already. They can’t afford another 20 million at that position.   MAXX Crosby , Tyree Wilson - always knew it was going to take a year before they got results - has been playing pretty well, The development of Malcolm Koonce down the stretch solidify himself as starter opposite Crosby next year.  ( he’s entering his last year and has to get paid.   Janarius Robinson been nice addition to the defense.   
Raiders are need of a dominant Dt, and a top Cb . That will be their top Fa targets.     Last year they went offense heavy in Fa , and went defense heavy in draft.   I think it’s reverse this year. 
Raiders eat a lot of money trading D Adams.   Jets take Jimmy G contract off their hands , still going to want a first for Adams.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Bronx said:

I wonder what they offered for him before the trade deadline. 

The reality is that the Jets cannot afford what Huff will likely get on the market, so whatever the offer it's probably a home town discount that Huff's team has outright rejected.   I wouldn't be surprised if the negotiations have ended.

This might be the first of some very difficult decisions that winning organizations make:

1. Trade Huff for assets to improve the offense (sucks but it's the reality of the situation)

2. Ask Mosley for a massive pay cut off his $17M salary or unfortunately be released (this one shouldn't be hard, let's all throw out the sentimentality)

3. Move on from the bad decision named Laken Tomlinson.  Still save millions while upgrading the position with a capable free agent or draft pick

4. Put on your big boy pants and tell Rodgers we are drafting a QB prospect somewhere in the top 4 rounds.  Who gives a sh*t about his feelings?  Look at how last year worked out

Easy decisions:  Bye bye Becton, Whitehead, Uzomah, McGovern, Cook .....

There is no way the Jets should re-sign Huff.

He is a good player a very nice pass rusher but it is his chance to make bank, something you only get a few chances to do as an NFL player.

Though very different body types and styles Will McDonald and Huff have the same job, dedicated pass rusher who gets at max 50% of the D snaps

No way we should be paying him a big contract even though he is a nice player.

We have to delicate all off season resources to the offense.

• Upvote 2

On 12/19/2023 at 2:28 PM, Vader said:

Is Bryce Huff as good as John Abraham was?

I don't think so but he's probably our best pass rusher since Abe. It pains me to say it but @T0mShane was probably right about moving him before the trade deadline.

If we tag/trade him it has to be for a 2024 pick, and not a 2025 like most of those tag and trade examples.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

On 12/19/2023 at 10:59 AM, DeerPark said:

i would try to trade this premier pass rusher for a 2nd round pick

He is a free agent and no, we will sadly let him go. He will command somewhere around $15-17 million and we don't have it. We need whatever money we have to sign receiver and/or oline. On top of that we drafted McDonald in the first. 

They will tag him trade him for a 2nd round pick. The guy is not a every down line man he is situational pass rusher. Right now that is a luxury for teams that are fully built and competing for a SB like the 49ers the Jets are not even making the playoffs and picking top 10 the guy us being traded.

• Upvote 3

20 minutes ago, football guy said:

Personally I'd rather keep him, but given the needs elsewhere and the price he'll cost, I could see them trading him to reallocate those resources elsewhere. 

Getting a mid-to-late 1st would be of great help. A late 2nd might not be worth giving up on Huff.

Either way, this is Ann all offensive draft.  We have a small window & we need two quality OL (draft + FA) and a Tank Dell type steal in the 3rd.

• Upvote 2

• Woody views his players as "his property"  Always has.  He is not letting Huff go without compensation.  He will get some type of tag and then traded   A contending team will pony up something for him to make the difference in their SB run.  Probably ends up being a low second round pick.  
  • The Jets should do the honorable thing and trade Huff to a team that wants to give him a longer-term deal.  
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, 32EBoozer said:

Getting a mid-to-late 1st would be of great help. A late 2nd might not be worth giving up on Huff.

Either way, this is Ann all offensive draft.  We have a small window & we need two quality OL (draft + FA) and a Tank Dell type steal in the 3rd.

I can't see them getting a 1st. I can absolutely see them getting a 2nd. 

The team I'm keeping an eye on is the Cardinals. They have the money, the capital, and the need. Their pass rush is amongst the worst in the league, Jonathan Gannon likes edge rushers who are built for the "wide 9", and Monti Ossenfort is close with JD. It's not likely to be a good free agent crop either with Josh Allen and Brian Burns likely getting franchised. 

• Upvote 3

40 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

3 or  4 likely, probably a 3, depends on how much the team taking him pays him and how much we dip into FA as well.

Given our needs along the OL and WR, I think we are going to have to dip into FA enough that a comp pick may not be int the cards.  I think tag and trade would be our best option to ensure we get something for him.  A day 2 pick to be used on offense would be nice.

• Upvote 1