****The Official Day 2 of the NFL Draft****

3 minutes ago, NYDreamer said:

Joe could now take a third and one of the 4's and trade into the 2nd.  Then take the other 4's and trade into the third.  Quality over quantity.  Go get me Brenden Rice, QB Rattler and or Zinter.  LB Trotter is also an option.

If he wanted he could take both picks he got last night and use them to get his favorite wr in round 2 towards the end of the round and call it a night and still have 2 4th and a 5th.

23 minutes ago, thebuzzardman said:

You should try to love Lazard and Gipson very much, because it's doubtful the Jets find better wide receivers in the 4th round. 

I know. Hence why I wanted Bowers or BTJ at 11.

But no sense of just keep bringing that up. So we have to get a good weapon somehow now.

5 minutes ago, NYDreamer said:

Joe could now take a third and one of the 4's and trade into the 2nd.  Then take the other 4's and trade into the third.  Quality over quantity.  Go get me Brenden Rice, QB Rattler and or Zinter.  LB Trotter is also an option.

Even though these things don't usually work out, I'd still love it if we drafted Jerry Rice's son.  

Zinter

Pretty sure I read he would've been a high rounder were it not for injury.  Sounds like another Carter Warren type (though I think Zinter is a OG).

2 hours ago, OilfieldJet said:

Speaking of Buffalo, I’m a bit surprised at their moves. I guess they feel quantity over quality right now.

I saw a tweet last night that made a lot of sense.  That move from 32 to 33 gives them all day today to work out an Aiyuk or Samuel trade.  If they pull that off, it was pretty shrewd.  

• Upvote 3

13 minutes ago, sackdance said:

They got dusted by taking Nabers over Rome Odunze. Maybe the Chiefs could get away with taking a bad attitude guy (who just got over a gun charge) over a team captain, but the shaky Giants? Too big a chance their faith in a mental midget will come back to haunt them. Bears completely scored last night. 

Hard not to score with the # 1 & # 9 pick in the first round

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

42 minutes ago, ARodJetsFan said:

Not saying that we don't need weapons, we definitely do.

That said, I think Aaron Rodgers will get a lot more production out of Gipson & Lazard then Zach Wilson did, particularly with the re-vamped O-Line this season.

To your point….2021&2022 Lazard averaged 50 catches  600 yds 13 yards / catch 7td. I envision them using him in more of aTE role than typical WR. Big Red Zone target, decent blocker. Wonder if AR felt that way and might be why we passed  on Bowers?

• Upvote 3

12 minutes ago, section314 said:

To your point….2021&2022 Lazard averaged 50 catches  600 yds 13 yards / catch 7td. I envision them using him in more of aTE role than typical WR. Big Red Zone target, decent blocker. Wonder if AR felt that way and might be why we passed  on Bowers?

That's entirely possible.

1 hour ago, nycdan said:

I saw a tweet last night that made a lot of sense.  That move from 32 to 33 gives them all day today to work out an Aiyuk or Samuel trade.  If they pull that off, it was pretty shrewd.  

It was actually also good for the Panthers.   That gives them an extra year of control for the player, which could save literally 20+ million in cap space if he a decent player.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, chirorob said:

It was actually also good for the Panthers.   That gives them an extra year of control for the player, which could save literally 20+ million in cap space if he a decent player.

I don't agree.  Reasons why:

1) Teams very rarely exercise the 5th year for non-QBs for players drafter 20-32.  I don't have the number handy but I saw them and it was pretty stark.

2) The rookie deal will be a fair bit more expensive at 32 than 33.  

3) They lose the opportunity to work the phones all day today.

4) Depending on position, the 5th year option isn't always that much cheaper than the tag.  It does give you room to tag another player however.

-- I checked quickly. 

https://overthecap.com/fifth-year-option-projections

• One Pro Bowl: Players who are named to exactly one Pro Bowl on the original ballot (not as an alternate) will be eligible for a fifth year base salary equal to the transition tender at their position.

• Multiple Pro Bowls: Players who are named to two or three Pro Bowls on the original ballot (not as an alternate) will be eligible for a fifth year base salary equal to the franchise tender at their position.

Franchise Tag on a WR is about $21.8M this year.  5YO for Ja'Marr Chase will be $21.8M (2+ Pro Bowls).  Waddle will be around $15.6M (no Pro Bowls).  1 PB would put it somewhere in between.  Since teams generally won't do the 5YO on a guy who hasn't at least gotten a pro bowl, it's safe to say it's not a big gap.  

I think I’m leaning towards wanting us to stay put and just draft for value.

Guys I like that likely will be there at 72:

- CB: MC2 2025 Replacement and 2024 slot depth (I could see us not being able to or not wanting to sign him next year: Mike Sainristil Michigan

- WR: Let’s try and get Lazard off the field please: Devontez Walker North Carolina, Jalen McMillan Washington

2 minutes ago, SomebodytoAnybody47 said:

They really need to go back to the old format.

Rounds 1 - 3 on Saturday afternoon? Fuk yes. 

Rounds 4-7 early Sunday? Fakkkk yes.

Totally agree with this.  The only advantage of having multiple days is that it allows your draft team to have time to make better decisions.  Then again, its always good when your a little rushed and someone ****s up before you.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Augustiniak said:

If he wanted he could take both picks he got last night and use them to get his favorite wr in round 2 towards the end of the round and call it a night and still have 2 4th and a 5th.

Actually we would just have the 2 4ths.

We enter the day with a 3rd, 3 4s and a 5th.

If we use the 3rd, a 4th and a 5th to move up, that leaves us with the 2 4s we had before the trade. And I think to move up into round 2, it's gonna cost us the 3rd and 2 4s. That would leave us with a 4th and a 5th

The Giants were smart as hell.  They took who many think is the best Wr in the class and resisted the temptation to take a meh QB prospect pushed way way to high just due to need.  McCarthy is going to be no better than Daniel Jones.

• Upvote 2

26 minutes ago, section314 said:

Are you guys surprised Legette went that high? I know he moved up boards the last week, but seemed a bit high.

No. Size-speed monster with good reports from his coaches. Low 1 high 2 seems about right. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

The Giants were smart as hell.  They took who many think is the best Wr in the class and resisted the temptation to take a meh QB prospect pushed way way to high just due to need.  McCarthy is going to be no better than Daniel Jones.

I don't think "many" people think Nabers is the best in the class.

• Upvote 1

• Look at the WR contracts being signed.  They are premium players.  They win games.  Teams pay for them, and OT.   Those are the players to draft high.
  • I would doubt that any reasonably decent WRs are available in round 3 when the Jets pick.  
  • That is why I would trade next year draft capital to move up.   From what we heard from the Senior Bowl guy, this is not a deep draft in the late rounds, but deep in the first three.  
  • That being said, I don’t know what teams would want to trade down.   The trade down from 10 to 11 was brilliant to get more 4/5.  
  • I am slightly torn on using 4/5 to trade up, given that we need S/RB/LB depth.   Even guys picked in 4/5 can make the team over what we have.  
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I don't think "many" people think Nabers is the best in the class.

Nabers is obviously very talented but there was concern about him ending up in a big city where he can get in trouble/distracted. 

So he got picked by the New York Giants, the guys that brought you Odell Beckham and Plaxico Burress.  What could go wrong? 

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, section314 said:

Are you guys surprised Legette went that high? I know he moved up boards the last week, but seemed a bit high.

No because of his 40 time. I think that elevated his perceived floor. You can project him in that Deebo Samuel role (ie a guy you throw short passes to and hope for yac) and you can project him as a downfield threat because of his speed.

It’s weird because he is not polished. But being able to be good at multiple roles makes him seem a little safer of a pick to at least be decent.

• Upvote 1