****The Official Day 2 of the NFL Draft****

19 minutes ago, GreenFish said:

No because of his 40 time. I think that elevated his perceived floor. You can project him in that Deebo Samuel role (ie a guy you throw short passes to and hope for yac) and you can project him as a downfield threat because of his speed.

It’s weird because he is not polished. But being able to be good at multiple roles makes him seem a little safer of a pick to at least be decent.

Makes sense. He seemed to be a guy that was really black or white on this board, no grey area. Either loved him or hated him.

• Upvote 1

Even in rds 3 and 4, there will be quality prospects on the board.

Corley in rd 3 and Luke McCaffrey in rd 4 are possibilities.

I think they should take Rattler with one of their 4th rounders if he's somehow still there.

You just never know which QB can pan out.

You keep taking them to at least give yourself a chance.

Rattler is too reckless with the football but he at least has NFL talent and you give yourself a chance.  With a day 3 pick, it's worth the "risk".

If Rodgers retires to the darkness in the offseason, what do you do, go all-in for Dak?

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, GreenFish said:

Pick 257 is worth more than 1 point to the Jets. We are drafting a QB at that spot. For a team that can’t find a QB, Mr Irrelevant being a FQB for us makes sense. It’s our destiny. That pick is priceless to us. 

The Jets picking Kedon Slovis as Mr Irrelevant, and him having a better career than Zach, would be very satisfying.

I like McConkey a lot, but the idea of giving up 7 draft picks for a 2nd round WR is insane.

This risk is exacerbated when you consider the Jets' track record when it comes to 2nd round WRs:

• Reggie Rembert
  • Stephen Hill
  • Alex Van Dyke
  • Denzel Mims
  • Devin Smith
  • Elijah Moore

It's like a WR graveyard.

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

For everyone panicking about WR, worst-case scenario, you pick up the phone Saturday night and sign Tyler Boyd to a 1y deal.

Jets already talked to him during FA supposedly.

If it makes him feel better, throw in some performance incentives.

Clearly we will add a guy, either through the draft or FA.  

But also worth keeping in mind is the guys we have should be better this year given the change at QB.  Lazard was a much better WR catching passes from Rodgers.

Also, when calculating pass catchers, we have a guy in the backfield who is pretty good at that.  Almost 100 targets with an 80% catch rate.  It's not like AR doesn't have anywhere to throw the ball.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Clearly we will add a guy, either through the draft or FA.  

But also worth keeping in mind is the guys we have should be better this year given the change at QB.  Lazard was a much better WR catching passes from Rodgers.

Also, when calculating pass catchers, we have a guy in the backfield who is pretty good at that.  Almost 100 targets with an 80% catch rate.  It's not like AR doesn't have anywhere to throw the ball.

I also like the idea of more heavy formations, 2 TE sets to get Ruckert on the field more.

Warren Sharp has done a lot of analytical work in this area, and the success rates when passing out of 2 and 3 TE sets are off the charts.

It's because the defense has to have its heavy personnel on the field and they are geared up mentally to stop the run. 

You catch them off guard by actually throwing it and can get certain mismatches if you have an OC / QB who knows what he's doing.

With a 40y old QB, the offense will most likely flow primarily through Breece and secondarily, the play-action passing attack.

Shoring up the LT position, both now and for next 10 years hopefully, was the right move.

23 minutes ago, slats said:

My bold draft prediction is that the Jets will not trade the Mr. Irrelevant pick. I think Woody is all excited to tweet about it. 

I think you initially made this comment as a joke but then realized there's a very good chance it's true.  

29 minutes ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

I like McConkey a lot, but the idea of giving up 7 draft picks for a 2nd round WR is insane.

This risk is exacerbated when you consider the Jets' track record when it comes to 2nd round WRs:

• Reggie Rembert
  • Stephen Hill
  • Alex Van Dyke
  • Denzel Mims
  • Devin Smith
  • Elijah Moore

It's like a WR graveyard.

We’re due

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

If JD feels he needs to trade up, I can see him calling the Eagles about one on their 2 second round picks.

It might be manageable compensation. I’d actually be OK if they don’t move up though.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, varjet said:

What safeties were available at 111 and 129?

Nobody appealing at that point, from memory. I would have picked a safety before Hunt if the value was there.

I still think we need a QB we could have selected McCarthy at 10. So maybe at 72 Pratt the Tulane QB who is similar to Chad and like him no big arm. But someone who might have a good chance to be able to successfully run an NFL offense. 

9 hours ago, usanyj said:

Sticking locally, I think the Giants got dusted last night....

I think they thought they could snag a QB in round 2 and didnt expect the run on QBS to happen, now they're stuck.

When has a Coach and GM been allowed to take a QB in their 4th year. Daboll just hitched himself to Daniel Jones.

Dear Lord Baby Joe Douglas, deliver us from mediocrity : r/nyjets

Remember those Tanenbaum drafts with only three players that eventually destroyed the depth of the Jets?

That is my best case scenario for this year.   JD built an ok roster.  I could get by this year with these WR possible.  Another S would be nice, as would an IOL.   So if we three picks to address that, that would be good.  

I would take 2 picks with a Morley.  

• Upvote 1