New Regime. What does Ulbrich do?

9 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

First and foremost he needs to fire Keith Carter.

Then name a DC. He can't afford to have the teams top unit have a drop off in play.

Finally, he needs to address the problems on O because he now has the job of HC because Saleh could not fix the problems on O. But, how does he do that, is he allowed to fire Hackett or demote Hackett (perhaps in duties but not in title?)

If Ulbrich has the leeway to make changes, maybe things get interesting. But, this is the Jets. Why on earth would they do something like empower their new head coach in an effort to save their season when they could cater to Aaron Rodgers and his weird little henchman of an oc.

13 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

Then name a DC. He can't afford to have the teams top unit have a drop off in play.

Finally, he needs to address the problems on O because he now has the job of HC because Saleh could not fix the problems on O. But, how does he do that, is he allowed to fire Hackett or demote Hackett (perhaps in duties but not in title?)

It's a half ass solution. Hackett AND Carter should also be fired. We expect different results, but we AGAIN have a rookie defensive coordinator as a head coach. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 3

There's nothing Ulbrich can do to make things better.  This is simply another Woody Johnson PR stunt.

It was Rodgers's offense before and it will still be Rodgers's offense now.  The defense under Saleh was fine and will remain that way under Ulbrich.

• Upvote 1

I just wrote this in another thread but it goes better with this thread.

I hope Ulbirch decides to start Allen over Hall for Buffalo. Ulbirch could use Hall for play-action & short passes where he has been more effective than running the ball right up the middle (like we usually have him do). Hall is currently averaging 3.0 yds per carry compared to Allen's 4.5 yds. Hall is also ranked 34 in rushing . . . and there are only 32 teams!

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Ecuadorian Jet said:

It's a half ass solution. Hackett AND Carter should also be fired. We expect different results, but we AGAIN have a rookie defensive coordinator as a head coach. 

And who would want a job with an interim HC? They are stuck with the two of them.

I would allow Downling to call the plays. And how about run a freaking screen. 

• Upvote 2

1a) Carter fired.

1b) Downing named the new playcaller with Hackett retaining OC title.

This needs to happen fast.

Other strategic / scheme / personnel changes:

1. Ruckert’s play time goes down a LOT

2. Passing game on early downs to open up the run game.  Not abandoning the run but loosening it up via the pass

3. No longer playing 3 down offensive football.  Trying for 1st downs on 1st and 2nd down rather than minimizing 3rd down distance - the latter a Saleh offensive principal

4. Aggressively trying to score on first drive.  1 TD and 2 FGs in the last 22 games dating back to opening day 2023 under Hackett.  0 for 5 this year

5. More creative game plans rather than old reliable & predictable

6. More player input

7. Hello deep game

8. More accountability 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, Claymation said:

And who would want a job with an interim HC? They are stuck with the two of them.

I would allow Downling to call the plays. And how about run a freaking screen. 

Precisely, elevate someone from the offensive side of the ball. The Jets clearly hate offense and shield themselves by having hired the craziest person in the NFL a few seasons ago. 

10 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Rodgers makes the decisions here.  He backstabbed his coach and got him fired.

Why in the heck would anyone think Rodgers is firing his yes man in hackett?

Does your boy Ulbrich not have a backbone?

There are career opportunities on the line here, including an opportunity for the ‘best young DC in the league’.

Changes will be made.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

It would be odd to fire the HC and promote the DC to HC when the defense has been good. And change 0 on offense that has been awful.

As the HC, Saleh was ultimately responsible for the offense. He said the cadence was the problem with the false starts. Then back peddled. 

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Claymation said:

As the HC, Saleh was ultimately responsible for the offense. He said the cadence was the problem with the false starts. Then back peddled. 

Tye play caller and the players are the same.

The only difference is maybe Ulbreich getting into Hackett if they play bad.

But I’d like to think people are smart enough to know that just bc the HC is changed that now all of a sudden Hackett isn’t gonna start calling a WAY better game. That the OL won’t miss blocks. WRs will catch the ball.

Quite frankly that has very little to do with the HC.

Im totally for firing Saleh. But the issue is the offense and right now we’re rolling out the exact same thing expecting a difference.

Which by definition is INSANITY!!!

59 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

Whitecotton to DC (he's a rising star, will have a DC gig elsewhere soon enough). There's nobody to come in to take over the offense.

Ulbrich may be the long-term HC, too

• Upvote 2

LOL 

How is this a new regime when there was only 1 person fired? 

Hackett is still here calling the plays.......we may get a bit of a jolt with a coaching change but I don't expect much to come from this....

Only thing we know right now is that we're the 1st team to enter the 2025 Head Coaching search

1 hour ago, Ecuadorian Jet said:

Hackett should be fired - and we have his replacement in a position of passing game coordinator, where he can easily step into the roll as someone who has 3 years of OC/playcalling experience

1 hour ago, Sonny Werblin said:

He won't.

JD and Ownership will name a DCo, sure.

Finally, he needs to address the problems on O because he now has the job of HC because Saleh could not fix the problems on O.

He won't.  The O belongs to Rodgers and Rodgers alone.

But, how does he do that, is he allowed to fire Hackett or demote Hackett (perhaps in duties but not in title?)

He is not.  And he won't  Because Rodgers loves Hackett and the O is Rodgers now.

1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

There's nothing Ulbrich can do to make things better.  This is simply another Woody Johnson PR stunt.

It was Rodgers's offense before and it will still be Rodgers's offense now.  The defense under Saleh was fine and will remain that way under Ulbrich.

Yep,

step 1. Fire Saleh 

step 2. Announce Davante coming 

step 3. Woody shows he is serious

step 4. It's all good coming to MNF

step 5. We lose

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Tye play caller and the players are the same.

The only difference is maybe Ulbreich getting into Hackett if they play bad.

But I’d like to think people are smart enough to know that just bc the HC is changed that now all of a sudden Hackett isn’t gonna start calling a WAY better game. That the OL won’t miss blocks. WRs will catch the ball.

Quite frankly that has very little to do with the HC.

Im totally for firing Saleh. But the issue is the offense and right now we’re rolling out the exact same thing expecting a difference.

Which by definition is INSANITY!!!

Saleh hired MiLF and can’t Hackett. He is responsible for the Coaching Staff all their flaws and blemishes.

They looked flat out of byes and mini byes. He threw players under the bus. Looked defeated. And the team started to take on that personality. The team didn’t believe in their HC.

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, carlito1171 said:

LOL 

How is this a new regime when there was only 1 person fired? 

Hackett is still here calling the plays.......we may get a bit of a jolt with a coaching change but I don't expect much to come from this....

Only thing we know right now is that we're the 1st team to enter the 2025 Head Coaching search

An honest question I’d like to ask others here is, how is Ulbrich supposed to hold the offense accountable?

And if he fires them what does that then look like, restructure?

Does he have that authority?

• Post of the Week 1

3 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Yep,

step 1. Fire Saleh 

step 2. Announce Davante coming 

step 3. Woody shows he is serious

step 4. It's all good coming to MNF

step 5. We lose

I do get the sense they're going to be banking on Adams coming in and making a difference.

Therefor showing the HC was the problem.  Otherwise the team will continue to flounder and we're due for a full house cleaning at the end of the year.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

I do get the sense they're going to be banking on Adams coming in and making a difference.

Therefor showing the HC was the problem.  Otherwise the team will continue to flounder and we're due for a full house cleaning at the end of the year.

Classic Woody. I expected him to bring Tebow in to work with the tight ends next!

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, BigRy56 said:

Ublrich is a guy who everybody expected to get a HC job next year and was sought after this year. Let's see if everybody is right - it's better to be early than late and if Ulbrich is actually a good head coaching candidate, the Jets may have done themselves a favor

this may have been a calculation on Johnson's part. if they were not sold on a Saleh-produced winning season, they knew they already had the offseason's hot commodity with Ulbrich. Now they get the Ulbrich look-see for themselves.

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, Vader said:

this may have been a calculation on Johnson's part. if they were not sold on a Saleh-produced winning season, they knew they already had the offseason's hot commodity with Ulbrich. Now they get the Ulbrich look-see for themselves.

Yup. I think this definitely is a thing. When the 49ers come to try and take your DC that definitely raises some eyebrows

31 minutes ago, Vader said:

On the one hand, I think YOU are making a very valid statement that makes sense.

However, on the other hand, I have trouble convincing myself that WOODY  is capable of making such a calculation.

• Haha 1