What does Fitz need to do to hang onto job?

jgb

If jets go FILL IN BLANK Fitz keep starting job  

70 members have voted

1. 1. What Minimum record does fitz need to keep job

• 1-3
    • 2-2
    • 3-1
    • 4-0
    • Cant lose a job due to injury, geno automatically gets job back

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Depends on how he (and the offense) are doing independent of W-L record.

Seems unlikely with this roster on defense, but we could be 1-3 with the offense scoring 25+ PPG, with at least decent #s from Fitzpatrick individually, then I'd think he would (and should) still keep the job. If the D alone is giving up 20-ish PPG and 2 of the losses were each from a fumble return TD or special teams TD or something else that has nothing to do with Fitzpatrick's play (or how the offense is playing in general with him at the helm).

If we're 1-3 and losing games with under 15ppg scored on offense, he'll get the hook.

In a small sample size (like over a 4 game span before Geno comes back), they're really going to have to look at each situation, each possession, injuries, etc. more than aggregate TD:INT ratios or completion percentage stats. 

Also depends how ready Geno is when he's eligible physically. He may still need a week or two of practice to get his rhythm back even if Fitzpatrick is doing relatively poorly.

Historically, Fitz is a gambler who takes huge risks in crucial situations, often leading to turnovers.  Both he and Geno are turnover prone.  Fitz is a journeyman for a good reason.  

We need to draft a QB next spring. 

I still think we can go 10-6.

I said we could go 10-6 based on the off-season, which included the draft, free agency and guys we traded for... and the lynchpin to my prediction was that we protected ourselves with a veteran at QB in case Geno sucked, again. 

I'd rather have no Geno at all, than something like a 1-6 start before he gets benched finally. That's a lost season. I like that the reports from camp were that he "matured", but the IK punch tells me all I need to know about the leadership qualities of Geno Smith. 

Rally around the beard. This is the most talented Jets roster in recent memory. 

Losing Sheldon Richardson for however many games is a far bigger loss than going from Geno to Fitzmagic. sh*t, losing IK as a situational pass rusher probably hurts more than going from Geno to Fitzmagic. 

Fitzmagic.

I was going to go with "Pay his team mates back any borrowed money"

But that will work too.

It wasn't borrowed money, though it was owed money, so that's close enough and your line wouldn't lose any of its bite.

Another acceptable answer would have been, "Make sure his iphone changes its clock as his time zone changes when traveling."

It wasn't borrowed money, though it was owed money, so that's close enough and your line wouldn't lose any of its bite.

Another acceptable answer would have been, "Make sure his iphone changes its clock as his time zone changes when traveling."

I LOVE the iPhone thing.  I actually don't know how to NOT let it change time as I travel. 

I actually think, if Fitz stays healthy, completes 60-63%, with a positive TD to INT ratio, the Jets could be a good team.  I think (and it's August and I'm a moron, so take it with a grain of salt) that the D could be that good, where an average offense leads to 10-6.

I LOVE the iPhone thing.  I actually don't know how to NOT let it change time as I travel. 

I actually think, if Fitz stays healthy, completes 60-63%, with a positive TD to INT ratio, the Jets could be a good team.  I think (and it's August and I'm a moron, so take it with a grain of salt) that the D could be that good, where an average offense leads to 10-6.

B-but he only won 6 games per season or dumding.

I voted for 2-2, but ultimately, Fitz should retain the job as long as he has the team behind him, record be damned.  In my humble opinion, it is painfully obvious Geno didn't have the team behind him, and I don't think he will get it back (assuming he ever had it in the first place).  

If we bring in a capable QB (Glennon, Mettenberger, ...), I could see Fitz getting bumped out after that QB gets up to speed.   

• 1 month later...

Ok, I'll say it, there were a couple of plays where Fitzy had to run & was tripped up, Geno would have run for EASY 1st downs there. While we're all enjoying being 2-0, the truth is for 40 minutes with GREAT field position we looked horrible on 3rd downs.

The Oline was terrible in run blocking vs a sh*tty azz Colts front with a bunch of nobodies. 

Another bad punt from Quigley when we needed one. 

So happy that Bowles is never satisfied, always something to work on. Fun to be 2-0, hope Deckers OK.

How about Geno looking like a petulant child on the sideline while his teammates are celebrating a victory.

Second week in a row they focused on him glum and pouting while the rest of the squad enjoyed their team victory.

Apparently they removed his clipboard, pad and crayons for scribbling this week, though

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Ok, I'll say it, there were a couple of plays where Fitzy had to run & was tripped up, Geno would have run for EASY 1st downs there. While we're all enjoying being 2-0, the truth is for 40 minutes with GREAT field position we looked horrible on 3rd downs.

The Oline was terrible in run blocking vs a sh*tty azz Colts front with a bunch of nobodies. 

Another bad punt from Quigley when we needed one. 

So happy that Bowles is never satisfied, always something to work on. Fun to be 2-0, hope Deckers OK.

how would Geno have gotten a 1st downafter fumbling he ball?

Keep passing and keep a winning record.

Fitz is no HOF QB but he's in a system where he is comfortable and capable. Nobody is asking him to put the offense on his back and carry the team. He's not being asked to shake out tricky plays. He just has to stand up and make the read, which he does fairly well when he has the time. He might have his work cut out of him with elite defenses but right now our passing game looks proficient and I'd still take a few losses to great defenses over the alternative.

Fitz loses the job if he turns inconsistent as he always has been in the past. I think having Decker and Marshall who fight for the ball saves a lot of those passes that could have gone poorly and takes the pressure off Fitz to be the precision passer we would love for him to be. If Decker is out for several games then maybe Fitz doesn't look so hot. I wasn't overly impressed with our #3 and #4 out there today. It might be time for a little Kerley.

A comment above pointed out that Geno would have done a better job scrambling. I agree, he's a more elusive runner than Fitz. We already have an elusive runner (Ivory) and need a QB who can be trusted to make a pass and that isn't Geno. I'll gladly take a couple 1-2 yard losses where Fitz doesn't take off running over a couple plays where Geno gets a first running but every other series is a three and out.

If I am being real, despite having loads of time in the pocket, Fitzpatrick really never made any throws last night where I said, "good throw".  He is not a starting level QB in the NFL and he has ball security issues throughout his career.  At least Geno has the upside of a starting level QB.  I think he will get another shot at some point this year and it will be on him to show that he has improved.  I don't see Fitzpatrick being able to take us beyond 8 wins.

If I am being real, despite having loads of time in the pocket, Fitzpatrick really never made any throws last night where I said, "good throw".  He is not a starting level QB in the NFL and he has ball security issues throughout his career.  At least Geno has the upside of a starting level QB.  I think he will get another shot at some point this year and it will be on him to show that he has improved.  I don't see Fitzpatrick being able to take us beyond 8 wins.

That sounds completely arbitrary. Why do people feel the need to put wins on QBs? Do you think we hit 8 wins and all of the sudden he's spent? We won this game on defense, and milking the clock. So Fitz didn't win this game. Does that mean he has 7 wins left?

I thought the play calling was very predictable, and conservative. I didn't agree with the philosophy, but it worked, and when we needed more points it seemed pretty easy.

With the schedule we have there's no reason why we can't win every game we have left, and be favored probably in 8 of them.

Don't forget this is a brand new offense, and defense. We get Smith, Miliner, and Sheldon back as well.

Fitzpatrick is playing great....  

64%

95 Qb Rating

4 Tds / 2 Ints

2-0 record

Just outplayed Luck.  

IMO....Geno loses the game last night. There were 2 opportunities last night where FITZ throws the ball away. Geno wouldn't.  

Fitz still is a bit stiff, we need more production on O, BUT lets take what we have.

We got 5 TO's and didnt really capitalize but our D held them.

It's true that Geno  can run better than Fitz, but on the other hand, at least Fitz doesn't look slow or lumbering when he rolls out or tries to run - he actually has a certain quickness to him... I remember his first year in Buffalo he killed us with his legs. So while Fitz isn't as mobile as Geno, he isn't Kenny Obrien either.

Archived