Breer pitches B. Marsh to Eagles

AFJF

http://phi.247sports.com/Bolt/Could-Brandon-Marshall-be-a-fit-for-the-Eagles--48545173

The Philadelphia Eagles are in the market for a wide receiver as the NFL trade deadline is just days away. 

While the Eagles and San Francisco 49ers have discussed sending Torrey Smith to Philadelphia, Sports Illustrated writer Albert Breer proposed another solution that would help rookie quarterback Carson Wentz.

Marshall is certainly someone worth inquiring about and would easily be the Eagles No. 1 receiver if they were able to execute a deal. Through seven games this season, Marshall has 30 catches for 472 yards and an two touchdowns, averaging 15.7 yards per catch of the New York Jets and their 22nd-ranked pass offense.

The Philadelphia Eagles face the hated-Dallas Cowboys this week as first place in the NFC East is on the line. Make sure you’re in the loop for all Eagles news --take five seconds to sign up for our FREE Eagles newsletter now!

However, Marshall has struggled to catch the football as he currently leads the NFL with six drops and has an abysmal catch percentage of 44.1 percent. 

The Jets playoff hopes are bleak at 2-5 and they may want to receive compensation for the 32-year-old Marshall, who is on the hook for just $4.75 million for the remainder of this season and $7.5 million in 2017. 

With just $12.25 million owed for the remainder of his contract, Marshall would be in the Eagles price range. 

In his 11-year career, Marshall has 912 catches for 11,745 yards and 81 touchdowns. Marshall has been selected for six Pro Bowls and was a First Team All-Pro in 2012. He has compiled eight 1,000-yard seasons and has caught over 100 passes in a season six times. 

Marshall would be the top receiver Wentz needs in his development as a NFL quarterback. With Marshall, the Eagles would be contenders to not only make the playoffs, but go on a deep run in January. 

I'd be pissed if the Jets got offered a 2nd for B. Marsh & didn't take that deal. He's going into his 12 year, has a lot of mileage, loses his concentration a lot now & he's another guy that won't be here for our transformation.

If they could trade Sheldon for a 2nd they should do that too. You go into a draft with 3 second round picks you could be in position to trade back for additional future picks. We ain't paying Mo, Sheldon & Leo who's better than Mo & Sheldon.

Macc needs to be a bold mofo building the NY Jets to kick 40 year old Tom Brady to the curb in 2018. He'd have a chance to build this team right. Sign Glennon and keep on keeping on. 

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Everybody has a price.  We got him for a 5th rounder, he's well on the wrong side of 30, and we're not contending this year.  Anyone here really going to say that if Philly came along and offered a 1st rounder for him.....you'd turn it down?

No way! I'd be all over that deal. 

That said, don't hold your breath waiting for such an offer. A 2nd is unlikely. 

Just now, Sperm Edwards said:

We should keep all 7 WRs for next year. This way we can cut ~2 of them in August and get nothing in return. 

The yet-unseen humor will be unveiled when we draft another WR in April. 

Saw a mock draft today that had the Jets going WR in rd 2.  Because that's what they need more of...WRs.

11 hours ago, The Crusher said:

... and miss Fitz magic 2.0? 

Exactly.  Marshall doesnt want to leave the team right before they go on an epic Fitzmagic run taking this team to the playoffs.  He's a key component because Fitz doesnt know how to throw to other WR's.  If he Marshall isnt around, I have to recalculate my rest of the season predictions. 

It makes no sense to get rid of Marshall if we’re trying to groom a young QB at some point. Like Breer mentioned himself. He’s only on the books for $7.5 million next year as well. You have to keep him. He’s been great in the locker room, and it seems like he loves playing here.

He’s a great receiver who would be a young QB’s best friend due to his great route running, height, and ability to fight for the football when it’s in the air. He does drop the ball a lot but he makes up for it throughout the course of the game/season. Plenty of great receivers drop the ball. You can’t get rid of him IMO unless you’re getting a 1st round pick for him in return. And nobody is going to give the Jets that.

He makes it easier for other guys to get open on the offense as well. IMO, rebuilding or not, he’s a guy we should be looking to extend until his play drastically declines. He’s so important to the offense.

11 hours ago, Charlie Brown said:

Yea get rid of the best WR we have in years before we get anyone of competence to throw to him.  

Yea if we got a second maybe but we have to not think about getting rid of our good players.   

Brandon Marshall is 32 and has one more year left on his deal.

How long until the Jets have that QB?  How many more years does Marshall have left at this level?

34 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

I love what Brandon Marshall brings to this team, but not the way he makes us 1 dimensional  with this starting QB. To that end, I would explore this trade option if only so that Marshall would have a shot to make the playoffs.

The QB makes us one dimensional. That's on him. Not Marshall. A different QB might not just lock in on Marshall. And it's not like we are locked into Fitz long term or anything.

Hell, the short time Geno played, he was spreading the ball out more. So I really think it's just a Fitz thing. Not a long term problem.

2 minutes ago, JiF said:

Exactly.  Marshall doesnt want to leave the team right before they go on an epic Fitzmagic run taking this team to the playoffs.  He's a key component because Fitz doesnt know how to throw to other WR's.  If he Marshall isnt around, I have to recalculate my rest of the season predictions. 

He throws the same way to all his receivers. Behind them and off target. I prefer to say he is proficient in the back shoulder pass. Even on slants and crossing patterns. Hitting a receiver in stride is for pussies. Brandon and his super cyborg abilities catches them better than any one else. That whole leading the league in drops things is over stated. Decker too pretty handle backshoulder passes every play. Rest of roster too green. Enuwa well on his way to being a cyborg. Front office sabotaging Fitz surrounding him with anything less than multiple pro bowler cyborgs. SOJ

3 minutes ago, gEYno said:

Brandon Marshall is 32 and has one more year left on his deal.

How long until the Jets have that QB?  How many more years does Marshall have left at this level?

Two years for BM beyond this one.  

The plain truth is the Jets talent has been awful for over a decade. The idea that you just give up talented players who also don't crumble playing in this market is also very important.  

BM likes playing here and can take the pressure of NY. He has been a beast since he has been here.  He gave the offense a real identity and he backs down from no one.  You dont give that up for a maybe unless you get a second.  

Next year depending on circumstances a third.  And the year after that whatever you can. 

So maybe next year I would do if the team were still in the same situation as now. But if it is we are looking for then just trading BM but perhaps a new HC as well. 

I get the impression Marshall has become a solid vet leader and great influence on the younger players.  He will be a huge asset as the Jets break in Petty and Hackenberg.  I know he's not perfect, and consideration of any possible trade depends on what you get in return.  But in general, I hate the concept of trading Marshall.

Archived