The Mike Glennon era is off to one heck of a start

RutgersJetFan

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Larz said:

Hope that kid is ok. Looked rough 

Seriously... that was horrible to see.  It's moments like that which makes you understand the NFL for becoming so much more strict with their various "roughing" rules.  Trevathan seriously deserved to be ejected for that, if not suspended... what a complete scumbag move.

3 minutes ago, PS17 said:

Are you f*cking stupid? 

Trevathan should be suspended four games for that sh*t.

the hit was unnecessary roughness and should be a flag.

the ref said it was a flag because its a helmet to helmet hit  on a runner , helmet to helmet hits on a runner are legal in the NFL 

7 minutes ago, fusionCA said:

the hit was unnecessary roughness and should be a flag.

the ref said it was a flag because its a helmet to helmet hit  on a runner , helmet to helmet hits on a runner are legal in the NFL 

Pretty sure all helmet to helmet hits are illegal now. When you lead with the crown and hit a guy above the neck it's an automatic flag.

On 9/17/2017 at 10:44 PM, NJ said:

Didn't see any part of the game as I was at the sweep of the sh*tbirds at Wrigley.

But last week, if not for an absolute drop at the goal line with seconds left on the clock, he beats the 2016 NFC Champs in the season opener.

He must have really screwed the pooch today. 

Saw a fair amount of this one and that coupled with the 2 mindless pics I saw him throw late in the game last week  - he's not a starter and may not be an acceptable back-up.

i will tell you they are out with torches and pitchforks in Chi-town looking to lynch him tonight. He may not get another start.

35 minutes ago, NJ said:

Saw a fair amount of this one and that coupled with the 2 mindless pics I saw him throw late in the game last week  - he's not a starter and may not be an acceptable back-up.

i will tell you they are out with torches and pitchforks in Chi-town looking to lynch him tonight. He may not get another start.

He shouldnt. He is capable of throwing a pass to a wide open receiver from a clean pocket. Not a really unique skill for NFL QBs. Like Romo too, he is very insightful on the flow of playcalling. Let the Trubisky era start.

Caught some parts of the game:

- Glennon is bad, but that Chicago offense is horrible.  Kendall Wright/Marcus Wheaton/Zach Miller?  That team needed Kevin White (who by the way had a ton of fans clamoring for to be drafted by us) to step up, and once he went down, that's a very sub par group.  Or on another note, Kearse, Anderson are easily starters on that team.  

-Saying all that, Glennon sucks, and probably should invest the money he gets this year, because he won't be getting much in the future.  

- Aaron Rodgers is great, has a special talent taking advantage of coverage down the field.

-Tony Romo is probably the best announcer in the game because he actually sees the field well and can call out plays and reads.  I do think it's going to go down as the years go on though.  It's great now because he is just fresh from playing, therefore he still knows scouting tendencies and the stuff being run.  As the years pass, defenses change, and his ability to predict the plays will also go down.  However, right now, there isn't another announcer out there that I would rather listen to.  

4 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Perhaps. Mind you, I don't have a dog in this race, but here's the funny part.

The time @Villain The Foe was having the most fun littering the most threads in advocating for getting Glennon was the prior year (2016) than this past offseason. At the time it would have allegedly cost a 2nd rounder, but back then Glennon still had a year left on his contract - plus the ability to tag him this year if needed - for a cheap-$ tryout. So we wouldn't need (and wouldn't have done) the $18m guaranteed Chicago gave him to be the top bidder. 

This means the net would have been

• missing out on drafting Christian Hackenberg (~$3-4m savings, depending on when he gets cut)
  • failing to re-sign Ryan Fitzpatrick, whose cap hit is/was higher ($12m savings)
  • pay Glennon ~$1.7m for the 2016 season, where any extension beyond that could've been a non-guaranteed team option at a high amount ($15m+/year) that we wouldn't end up paying.

Net savings: $13-14m over doing what we did instead.

Then there's the further chance - if the stories are to be believed that someone else would have grabbed Hack before our 3rd round pick - that the next-best QB on our board would have been Dak Prescott, and maybe we'd have grabbed him in round 3 or 4. Then Glennon would have been let go to FA in 2017, or retained as a backup for 1/3 or less (of what he's getting now). If let go in 2017 (don't exercise team option for extension), we'd recover a comp pick in 2018.

Indirectly, trading our (2016) 2nd rounder to Washington for him may have been a far better move than what we did instead.

One-upping Chicago for him in 2017 though? Yeah, bullet dodged. Or it certainly looks that way so far.

Sorta like a Choose Your Own Adventure book. 

8 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

The time @Villain The Foe was having the most fun littering the most threads in advocating for getting Glennon was the prior year (2016) than this past offseason. At the time it would have allegedly cost a 2nd rounder, but back then Glennon still had a year left on his contract - plus the ability to tag him this year if needed - for a cheap-$ tryout. So we wouldn't need (and wouldn't have done) the $18m guaranteed Chicago gave him to be the top bidder. 

• missing out on drafting Christian Hackenberg (~$3-4m savings, depending on when he gets cut)
  • failing to re-sign Ryan Fitzpatrick, whose cap hit is/was higher ($12m savings)
  • pay Glennon ~$1.7m for the 2016 season, where any extension beyond that could've been a non-guaranteed team option at a high amount ($15m+/year) that we wouldn't end up paying.

Then there's the further chance - if the stories are to be believed that someone else would have grabbed Hack before our 3rd round pick - that the next-best QB on our board would have been Dak Prescott, and maybe we'd have grabbed him in round 3 or 4. Then Glennon would have been let go to FA in 2017, or retained as a backup for 1/3 or less (of what he's getting now). If let go in 2017 (don't exercise team option for extension), we'd recover a comp pick in 2018.

Indirectly, trading our (2016) 2nd rounder to Washington for him may have been a far better move than what we did instead.

One-upping Chicago for him in 2017 though? Yeah, bullet dodged. Or it certainly looks that way so far.

A butterfly flapped it's wings nine years ago leading to Josh McJesus.  It was inevitable.

9 hours ago, PS17 said:

Are you f*cking stupid? 

Trevathan should be suspended four games for that sh*t. At the bare minimum.

Hid team mate on the other side got it as well. That looked like a deliberate act to harm another player. Multi game suspension and a good place to make  an example. 

2 hours ago, The Crusher said:

Hid team mate on the other side got it as well. That looked like a deliberate act to harm another player. Multi game suspension and a good place to make  an example. 

Won't matter what the league wants to do to protect the players with punishments for dirty hits, the idiotic NFLPA will come riding in on their white horse to say that is too much. 

I LOVE the irony that it is a players union, yet when one of their own tries to kill one of their own, and the league is trying to PROTECT the players, the union throws their hands in the air and cries foul!

11 hours ago, Bleedin Green said:

Seriously... that was horrible to see.  It's moments like that which makes you understand the NFL for becoming so much more strict with their various "roughing" rules.  Trevathan seriously deserved to be ejected for that, if not suspended... what a complete scumbag move.

11 hours ago, PS17 said:

Are you f*cking stupid? 

Trevathan should be suspended four games for that sh*t. At the bare minimum.

11 hours ago, RoadFan said:

That could have broken his neck and/or killed him.

11 hours ago, Bleedin Green said:

That was a penalty multiple times over.  Adams was defenseless, far from still qualifying as a runner, and the play was already over.  It was a dirty hit in every way.

On hits as egregious as that, the NFL should adopt the NHL's approach, and suspend Trevathan until Adams is back on the field.  If it's a season-ender, that's the suspension.  And if it's a career ender ... that's the suspension.  

11 hours ago, fusionCA said:

the hit look bad but how is this a penalty according to the rules?

you can hit a runner helmet to helmet 

geez your post is as dumb as a door knob.  Play was over, Adams was already wrapped up, "defenseless" player... it's in the rules genius, look it up.  :rolleyes:

16 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

Won't matter what the league wants to do to protect the players with punishments for dirty hits, the idiotic NFLPA will come riding in on their white horse to say that is too much. 

I LOVE the irony that it is a players union, yet when one of their own tries to kill one of their own, and the league is trying to PROTECT the players, the union throws their hands in the air and cries foul!

Yeah, you're right there.  There are plenty of instances where I can understand the NFLPA's involvement in some punishments, some quite justified, but given that they do it for absolutely everything, sometimes it makes you shake your head in disgust.  The only thing that balances it out a bit is NFL has gotten wise enough to that, so they now seem to intentionally hand out longer than expected suspensions, knowing full well they'll eventually negotiate it down to make NFLPA feel as if they actually accomplished something.

At bare minimum, Trevathan is getting hit with a massive fine, but I don't see any way he doesn't get a suspension too.  The fans and media seem to already be pretty strongly endorsing that to happen, which on its own is typically enough to sway the NFL.

Glennon looked horrible; this is the problem with evaluating players (it is even harder for draft selections); First it is early in the season, secondly NFL, more than most, is a team sport - a QBs play depends on himself, his coaches, the quality/fit of the offense and playmakers - even the defense.

A QB is going to be better (and grow) if he is on a team that puts him into a position to succeed. Any QB, especially a rookie or relatively new starter, is going to struggle when he isn't ready; isn't a good fit for the offense; the offense lacks playmakers and protection, and is playing against a strong defense and/or behind.

This is why it is hard to judge Hack and Petty based on how little time they have had at practice and real game experience. This is also worse as it is a new offense, the WRs are young and inexperienced, etc. Not saying either is any good or our future - it is just hard. I hope we get enough time with both of these guys this year to see what 'potential' we have.

Of course, the coaches should be able to see based on their experience and how they are responding in practice. Maybe they already know... maybe, assuming Bowles isn't cranky next time, the reporter can ask - 'hey are these guys any good or should you be tanking', LOL

11 minutes ago, Dcat said:

geez your post is as dumb as a door knob.  Play was over, Adams was already wrapped up, "defenseless" player... it's in the rules genius, look it up.  :rolleyes:

+1

If you watch the end of the previous play Hicks and other Bears were talking trash/going after Adams. The very next play one guy holds him up and Trevethan flies in and spears him in the head after the play is essentially over. Seemed not just dirty but borderline premeditated to me.

13 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Now do chemtrails.

36 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

Still, that type of targeting or " spearing", if you played high school ball in the 80's has no place in the game if the game is going to last. 

14 minutes ago, bostonmajet said:

Glennon looked horrible; this is the problem with evaluating players (it is even harder for draft selections); First it is early in the season, secondly NFL, more than most, is a team sport - a QBs play depends on himself, his coaches, the quality/fit of the offense and playmakers - even the defense.

A QB is going to be better (and grow) if he is on a team that puts him into a position to succeed. Any QB, especially a rookie or relatively new starter, is going to struggle when he isn't ready; isn't a good fit for the offense; the offense lacks playmakers and protection, and is playing against a strong defense and/or behind.

This is why it is hard to judge Hack and Petty based on how little time they have had at practice and real game experience. This is also worse as it is a new offense, the WRs are young and inexperienced, etc. Not saying either is any good or our future - it is just hard. I hope we get enough time with both of these guys this year to see what 'potential' we have.

Of course, the coaches should be able to see based on their experience and how they are responding in practice. Maybe they already know... maybe, assuming Bowles isn't cranky next time, the reporter can ask - 'hey are these guys any good or should you be tanking', LOL

Such good points. Based on who Petty was playing with last year how do you really evaluate him? No Decker, Marshall nicked up & coasting, rookie UDFA, 2 Olineman that started he season, always playing from behind because the defense had already thrown in the towel (this is important, its hard enough to win in this league but trying to make up 13 points?) look at what Flacco looked like getting behind the Jags. That's why I keep stressing about MCCown teaching this team & the backups the WCO. Josh is awesome because hes not selfish. The one thing he said that I really admired was that I'm 38, I don't have many years left but if I can teach these guys to play QB & see them succeed after I'm retired that would make me very happy. How can you not cheer for a guy like that? He's the ANTI FITZ.

Archived