Jets go 8-8 What Quarterbacks do You think will be Available?

JetBlue

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Gastineau Lives said:

I'm on the Baker Mayfield train.

At this point in the season I approach the draft like the same way I approached betting on the horses the first time I went.  Mayfield sounds like a great QB name.  I'm on board.  

2 hours ago, MDL_JET said:

I really think it’ll be McCown again with a rookie. They’ll look into Cousins if he becomes available but everything would have to be perfect for that to fall into place. 

It’ll be McCown and a 2nd or 3rd round qb.  Interesting to see who is the odd man out.  Cutting Hack will be admitting he was an asinine reach.  I’m sure Macc is begging GMs all over to take Petty for a conditional late round pick in the offseason

59 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

It’ll be McCown and a 2nd or 3rd round qb.  Interesting to see who is the odd man out.  Cutting Hack will be admitting he was an asinine reach.  I’m sure Macc is begging GMs all over to take Petty for a conditional late round pick in the offseason

I'd say wait till after the draft before resigning McCown. If they get their guy in the first round, don't resign him. Let Petty start the season and eventually have the draft pick enter. 

Of course the team is left in no mans land with Hack in that situation. But hopefully the first round pick is looking good and we could care less at that point.

On 11/7/2017 at 11:18 PM, JetBlue said:

Hey folks, I'm back from my self imposed sabbatical.  Did anyone miss me?  :-)

I've been lurking on the board for most of the season because I was really hoping Petty or Hackenburg would have stepped up and won the job.  I just couldn't get excited about watching McCown play. 

It seems to be on the right track talent wise, with a nice nucleus of young players.  I give McCown credit for playing better than I thought he would be he obviously is not the future.  Perhaps at some point, Petty or Hackenburg may get some action and will either confirm what everyone thinks  (they suck) or show that they should be considered in the mix next year.   At any rate, if the team goes 8-8 I guess we would pick around 15 or something.  I know it is early but what "franchise caliber" quarterbacks, if any, do you think might still be available when we pick?  It will just suck to watch the Giants take one of the top quarterbacks and we miss out once again. 

Might want to wait and see how many underclassmen declare for the draft before starting to think about it.

Then once you see one drop down at the combine (i.e. Watson) go find all the video (not highlight stuff either) actual game footage and make the evaluation from there.

I would stay away from Big 12 QB's (i.e Mayfield) because they play ZERO defense in the conference.

Darnold is not having the year I think alot of us expected so he may stay for another year. 

Rosen has not been all that either.

No reason to worry about it now. It will work itself out during the off season

8 hours ago, Gastineau Lives said:

I'm on the Baker Mayfield train.

Yes no re-treads, I'm all in and have been since the Darnold dream ended. The near 600 yard game was crazy. He should be our pick for me. 4 year starter too, all be it 8 game freshman season at Texas Tech before the transfer to Oklahoma. 

Hopefully they can draft one of the top QBs (Darnold, Rosen, Mayfield), either by trading up or if one of them were to fall (injuries, questions about their abilities, etc).  One player that I interests me is Ryan Finley from NC State.  Probably a non-1st rounder but has showed promise. 

44 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

He might be back, but if he is, there better be a rookie there with him

let's say both of those things happen.. if bowles is still here, he will stage another sham of a QB competition & mccown will be his starter until we are mathematically eliminated from the playoffs..

we've already seen this movie twice before with what's his face..

My 2 cents.

I'm not really cool with going with another QB outside of the 1st round.

I think for a 4th rounder Petty has made a case as a career backup at least and that's no bad result at all IMO.

But with Hack so young and on the roster, if we go a QB then lets go all in on a 1st rounder and happy to see just a little of the farm traded to get one.

So say a Rosen, Darnold, Allen, Mayfield. Can't get one of the top 4 Qbs by the time we pick ? Then take a pass and take BAP or do a small trade down and acquire more picks or ammo for 2019.

32 minutes ago, jetgreen13 said:

let's say both of those things happen.. if bowles is still here, he will stage another sham of a QB competition & mccown will be his starter until we are mathematically eliminated from the playoffs..

we've already seen this movie twice before with what's his face..

If the young QB outplays McCown in the preseason, he will have no choice 

Six QBs currently have some kind of 1st-round potential.  

Darnold, Rosen, Allen, Mayfield, Rudolph, Jackson.  You also hear names like Falk and Finley who could be legitimate 2nd rounders that can sneak up.  

I'm sure by time the draft rolls around it will be less, but there will be choices of reasonable slot value all through the first round, particularly if you are willing to move up or down a little.  Keep in mind many are juniors and not all will come out.  Assuming we are drafting around 15, the extra 2nd round pick should be able to move us up from 5-8 slots depending on lots of things.  Both 2nd rounders could get us as high as 5.  Next year's first is another chip we should be willing to play.  

The answer is, we will definitely be able to get a guy.  Maybe not anyone who goes in the 1st 2-3 slots but almost anyone outside of that.  As someone said earlier, none of these guys are looking like what we hoped for (Andrew Luck potential) so I won't lament missing on one in particular (at least not as things stand right now) and will be excited for whoever we do get.

Earlier in the season, I was all in for Josh Rosen.  Now, I just don't even know who I would take first.

59 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

59 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

i know you disagree, but as far as I'm concerned, a young QB outplayed mccown in the latest preseason.. so apparently he does/will have a choice..

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/8/2017 at 12:26 AM, Skeet Ulrich said:

Whomever the Vikings don't want out of Bradford/Bridgewater should be available.

Eli should be available.

Most likely scenario is the Jets just bring back McCown for next year, draft someone high-ish and pretend Hackenburg never existed

Exciting 

Archived