Cousins left a guaranteed 90 million dollar deal on the table from the Jets

Patriot Killa

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

CAN YOU CUT THE sh*t.

you are on another thread neg repping everyone who praises Darnold or think he’s good. Are you a Jets fan or a Vikings/Teddy fan?

As soon as someone says — “Darnold is good at...”

you are on it like a fly on sh*t.

LOL! You are clearly a Sam fan. What I can't be a Teddy fan? Sam is your guy you and you have thrown all your chips in on him that's fine. I believe Teddy is the better choice. Is that not okay?? Do we all have to be all in on Sam? 

8 minutes ago, omar38 said:

LOL! You are clearly a Sam fan. What I can't be a Teddy fan? Sam is your guy you and you have thrown all your chips in on him that's fine. I believe Teddy is the better choice. Is that not okay?? Do we all have to be all in on Sam? 

Sure, i’m a Darnold guy...but does that mean I should neg rep every single poster on the board that praises Teddy?

is it not okay to praise Sam? Is that not okay??

1 hour ago, HessStation said:

In an ironic, jetsy twist, their own incompetence helped save them from themselves. Sometimes it just comes down to a little luck, and it seems like the sun could finally be shining. 

At the time, the Jets had no idea they would get Darnold. The trade with Colts happened after this, and it was assumed Darnold would be the first QB off the board, going to the Browns.

5 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

At the time, the Jets had no idea they would get Darnold. The trade with Colts happened after this, and it was assumed Darnold would be the first QB off the board, going to the Browns.

Honestly get the impression the Jets preferred Cousins over every QB in the draft, specifically Bowles. Plan A. was probably cousins then Fitzpatrick at 6. 

7 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Honestly get the impression the Jets preferred Cousins over every QB in the draft, specifically Bowles. Plan A. was probably cousins then Fitzpatrick at 6. 

I think had the Jets signed Cousins, the Jets would have stayed at 6 and drafted Quentin Nelson for the offensive line. They already signed Trumaine Johnson.

1 hour ago, Patriot Killa said:

We were really going to do this...wow. I would of actually hurt someone. 

I know it’s the past and some of you would like to move on but it’s mind boggling..90 mill guaranteed....

90...mill

Wow he must of really thought we were a bunch of jokes to turn that down.

9277884C-6E76-448E-8092-55E54D6672D5.jpeg

The thread title should be that Cousins left guaranteed $6 Million on the table, he got $84 Million from the Vikings.

Like I stated before, I was all for trying to sign Cousins and going BPA with the #6 pick at the time. People seem to forget that in early April, no one expected Darnold to still be on the board with the #6 pick. So signing a proven starter and filling some holes with the #6 pick as well as two second round picks that we had seemed like a great idea at the time, given the circumstances.

And let's face it, if we didn't make the trade with Indy, Buffalo probably would have, and we'd most likely be talking about what a great player Josh Allen is right now.

Had you told me then that Indy would trade down with us and that Darnold would be available at #3, I would have jumped at that idea as well. I'm glad it worked out the way it did, but it's kind of ridiculous to indict all of the people on this board who thought that signing Cousins at the time was a good idea. It's always easy to make decisions in hindsight

2 hours ago, rangerous said:

put yourself in darnold's shoes.  a little less money but maybe a better team and one that is ready to make a run for the sb.

When considering taxes and cost of living, Minnesota's offer was a fair amount better.

2 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

I know it’s the past and some of you would like to move on but it’s mind boggling..90 mill guaranteed....

90...mill

Well, that's interesting...

Honestly, if two teams are offering guaranteed 3yr deals worth $84 mill and $90 mill, that less than a 10% difference on insane money...not unreasonable to accept the deal from the 'more ready' team IMO.

Plus, not sure of the tax differences between NY/NJ and MIN...might even be similar deals on that basis.

1 minute ago, greenwave81 said:

Well, that's interesting...

Honestly, if two teams are offering guaranteed 3yr deals worth $84 mill and $90 mill, that less than a 10% difference on insane money...not unreasonable to accept the deal from the 'more ready' team IMO.

Plus, not sure of the tax differences between NY/NJ and MIN...might even be similar deals on that basis.

LOL...now I'm quoting my own post...

Just checked state taxes in MN and NY/NJ...

for that income there are eerily similar.

2 hours ago, rangerous said:

in the end it all comes out to the be nearly the same.  the jets got darnold but it cost two 2nd rounders to move up 3 places.  darnold signed for about 6 million and mccown is at 10.  bridgewater can earn up to 9 million.  so the jets can conceivibly be on the hook for 25 million just for the qb position.  the vikes signed cousins for 28 and will probably have two scrubs or very low cost back ups. and if the jets signed him they would've paid 30 and then zilch for their back ups.

much as cousins has not received much love of late he was still a proven commodity and would've given the jets at least 3 seasons of good qb play barring injury.  will darnold make the grade?  it's looking like it but the future is hard to predict.  and then there are the lost draft picks who could have turned into decent oline and lb players.  teams need new players each year and giving up draft picks need to be carefully considered.  and remember when they made the trade, there wasn't much expectation that darnold would still be on the board.

Darnold>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Cousins. I shortened the number of greater signs for brevity. Cousins the overrated JAG turning us down may be the best thing to ever happen to the Jets. He is going to implode in Minny. In fact they will miss the playoffs and the HC fired this year, especially if Kennum plays well.

I’m guessing they would have taken Chubb with pick #3 and then OL and RB/WR/TE with the two #2 picks. If Denver liked Darnold, they could have traded down to #5 and still have gotten Chubb plus another second rounder. The Jets still are  better off with Darnold, who will be better than Cousins. Guaranteeing $90 million is way too much for Cousins. He is not that good. 

4 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

90...mill

As things evolve, i think this will be a very good thing for the Jets.

Still would have preferred signing Cousins than drafting Darnold at the expense of three premium draft picks. 

The only advantage the Jets have over the rest of the NFL is cap space and that is because they have nobody to pay. 

The Jets are going to pay 15MM for Bridgewater and McCown to sit on the bench. 

Archived