Cousins left a guaranteed 90 million dollar deal on the table from the Jets

Patriot Killa

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At the time I would have been happy to have Cousins and the picks not traded for a higher spot. It wouldn't have been a bad thing to have a stable veteran QB aboard to build the team around. Who knows what they could have done with their picks without having to worry about finding a QB?

At the same time, I was more than okay with going after a QB in the draft instead. I accepted both ideas as two different and acceptable approaches to rebuilding.

In the end the reality of the situation played out the way it needed to for all involved.

The money was relative and the place the Vikes and Jets were in was a stark contrast. Cousins decided to be the last piece of a team that's ready to compete rather than being the center piece of a rebuild that wont bare fruit for another year or two.

And the Jets committed a smart amount of draft capital to a very promising young QB and have cap space to support his development. Life goes on.

4 hours ago, greenwave81 said:

Well, that's interesting...

Honestly, if two teams are offering guaranteed 3yr deals worth $84 mill and $90 mill, that less than a 10% difference on insane money...not unreasonable to accept the deal from the 'more ready' team IMO.

Plus, not sure of the tax differences between NY/NJ and MIN...might even be similar deals on that basis.

Minnesota actually has higher state income taxes than NJ ans NY. 

Property taxes in NY/NJ are higher, but when you have Kirk Cousins money that doesnt really matter much. 

Kirk left 6MM on the table because he knows Minny is a ready made team. 

23 minutes ago, GreenWhite said:

Property taxes in NY/NJ are higher, but when you have Kirk Cousins money that doesnt really matter much. 

The state tax is not that simple. These players pay income tax in the state where away games are played.

IIRC, with the state and city tax NJ/NY has, and cost of living, the Vikes 84 mil was a much better deal for Kirk when only talking about the net pay. Cost of living is just an additional difference. 

6 hours ago, greenwave81 said:

Honestly, if two teams are offering guaranteed 3yr deals worth $84 mill and $90 mill, that’s less than a 10% difference on insane money...not unreasonable to accept the deal from the 'more ready' team IMO.

Plus, not sure of the tax differences between NY/NJ and MIN...might even be similar deals on that basis.

Minnesota’s marginal tax rate is 10% higher than NY/NY’s. With only 8 games played at home, that’d only be a factor if it was an extreme difference like NY/NJ or CA vs FL or TX.

Regardless, who said the Jets refused to go even higher than their $30m offer?

The $30m rate was offered to beat Minn’s $25m rate. When Minn came up to $28m per, it seems Cousins took it. Or if we were willing to go even higher without an actual offer on paper, it still wasn’t enough to sway him (e.g. Macc: “I’m not necessarily offering it, but if we went up another $2m would that be enough to change your mind?” If the reply is “No” then there’d be no formal increased-offer made, yet the question isn’t asked in the first place if there’s no willingness to go higher still. 

Basically there’s nothing in this Cousins retelling that says one way or the other if Jets showed some willingness to go higher still but got shot down. But after receiving MN’s increased offer, if Cousins was still willing to join and enthusiastically lead what was seen league-wide as a hopeless, rudderless clown ship, for all you know we’d have re-upped our offer again to $32m per.

Before you say no, even right now there’s a possibility we’ll pay out $33m for a Teddy-McCown-Darnold trio in 2018. Though it’s not going to reach that full figure in the absence of an early Darnold injury, it very well might hit $24m despite drafting and starting a rookie. All it takes is one McCown or Teddy injury before trading Teddy and that’s what the QB $ floor will be.

7 hours ago, johnnysd said:

Darnold>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Cousins. I shortened the number of greater signs for brevity. Cousins the overrated JAG turning us down may be the best thing to ever happen to the Jets. He is going to implode in Minny. In fact they will miss the playoffs and the HC fired this year, especially if Kennum plays well.

This is exactly my thinking as well.  Cousins will be booed/hated by Vikings’ fans when all is said and done.  I believe we lucked out in every way getting Darnold. 

7 hours ago, johnnysd said:

Darnold>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Cousins. I shortened the number of greater signs for brevity. Cousins the overrated JAG turning us down may be the best thing to ever happen to the Jets. He is going to implode in Minny. In fact they will miss the playoffs and the HC fired this year, especially if Kennum plays well.

i hope we will all be saying this 4 years from now when darnold and his agent hold out for garrapollo money.

6 hours ago, BroadwayRay said:

I’m guessing they would have taken Chubb with pick #3 and then OL and RB/WR/TE with the two #2 picks. If Denver liked Darnold, they could have traded down to #5 and still have gotten Chubb plus another second rounder. The Jets still are  better off with Darnold, who will be better than Cousins. Guaranteeing $90 million is way too much for Cousins. He is not that good. 

No way they trade up to 3 if they back the brinks truck up for Cousins

They probably take someone like Quentin Nelson at 6

6 hours ago, GreenWhite said:

Still would have preferred signing Cousins than drafting Darnold at the expense of three premium draft picks. 

The only advantage the Jets have over the rest of the NFL is cap space and that is because they have nobody to pay. 

The Jets are going to pay 15MM for Bridgewater and McCown to sit on the bench. 

What if they hadn't moved up in the draft, and missed on Darnold and had to pick say Josh Allen. A QB who looks like he needs to sit.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing, they had to plan for the worst. The money is irrelevant in the context of having no QB's and 15 mill in extra cap space.

LOL...now I'm quoting my own post...
Just checked state taxes in MN and NY/NJ...
for that income there are eerily similar.

And he is a Christian hillbilly type. Not a good match with New York. 4-19 versus winning teams. We were fortunate to get Darnold, who will be better and will be relatively cheap for the first five years.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

9 hours ago, greenwave81 said:

Honestly, if two teams are offering guaranteed 3yr deals worth $84 mill and $90 mill, that less than a 10% difference on insane money...not unreasonable to accept the deal from the 'more ready' team IMO.

Where’s @SenorGato, by the way?  He told me, at length, that exactly this would never happen.

12 hours ago, Kleckineau said:

Vikes are right behind NEP 6-1 odds at 10-1 for the SB just sayin....

Jets? 100-1

Thrilled we have Darnold of course but Vikes will be tough with Cousins.

Does anyone here really blame him for not signing here?

Jerry Jones

He ended up signing for what, 84million guaranteed? I don't see what the big deal is, that was what the market for a too FA QB was.  Our GM was aggressive and was willing to pay him rather than take a chance on an unknown at 6. I am just thrilled it worked out the way it did with Sam dropping to Jets!

13 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

Maccagnan saved from his own stupidity.  

At the time, the Jets had no idea they would get Darnold. The trade with Colts happened after this, and it was assumed Darnold would be the first QB off the board, going to the Browns.

13 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

We were really going to do this...wow. I would of actually hurt someone. 

I know it’s the past and some of you would like to move on but it’s mind boggling..90 mill guaranteed....

90...mill

Wow he must of really thought we were a bunch of jokes to turn that down.

9277884C-6E76-448E-8092-55E54D6672D5.jpeg

And for that, I thank him profusely.  Never liked Cousins

8 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

At the time, the Jets had no idea they would get Darnold. The trade with Colts happened after this, and it was assumed Darnold would be the first QB off the board, going to the Browns.

30 million a year over 3 years for Cousins was stupid.  Even with Cousins you aren’t winning this year, next year and you would only be competitive in the last year of Cousins deal.  Then need to give him more money after that.  It was a flawed approach.  

6 hours ago, GreenWhite said:

what does  6 million buy you for a house in Minnesota vs NY/NJ? Could be your 6 mill right there.

22 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

30 million a year over 3 years for Cousins was stupid.  Even with Cousins you aren’t winning this year, next year and you would only be competitive in the last year of Cousins deal.  Then need to give him more money after that.  It was a flawed approach.  

We wouldn't have won. According to who. You. If we signed Cousins we would have drafted Chubb .A very formidable defense.

maybe im being a macc apologist, but had we gotten cousins + 2 2nd rounders to go with a chubb / quinton nelson / mike mcglinchey people would be pretty pumped for the season i'd bet.

i much prefer the way things played out, because in this league it ultimately comes down to the qb and i think darnold is going to be a top 5 qb, but nobody knew darnold would fall to 3. he definitely wasn't falling to 6. lets say both rosen and allen turn out to be busts, and the jets got cousins, an all pro guard at 6, and 2 starters as second rounders...people would be pretty happy with that outcome too.

it just wouldve made us a win now team instead of a win for the future team. i much prefer a win for the future team because the only road to sustained success for 4+ years is having a star young qb. the jags, for example, will be trash within 3 years. we've gone thru the window of having success without a franchise qb (rex). its a short window.

1 hour ago, sec101row23 said:

I'm glad the way it worked out also. 

Archived