Our great scout GM selected ArDarius Stewart over Kareem Hunt

Jetsbb

You can sometimes excuse these blatant mistakes when the position doesn't fit a need. The truth is they were looking at picking Alvin Kamara. They let the Saints trade up a couple of spots ahead of them to pick Kamara and then traded down and selected Stewart with Kareem Hunt still on the board. The guy has been as bad as Idzik. Even the one first round pick that wasn't a slam dunk he picks Daren Lee a below avg starter. With Woody in the UK and his brother a sycophant who wants to be buddies with the players kissing their ass any chance he gets we will be stuck with Mac and Bowles for a while.

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, Jetsbb said:

You can sometimes excuse these blatant mistakes when the position doesn't fit a need. The truth is they were looking at picking Alvin Kamara. They let the Saints trade up a couple of spots ahead of them to pick Kamara and then traded down and selected Stewart with Kareem Hunt still on the board. The guy has been as bad as Idzik. Even the one first round pick that wasn't a slam dunk he picks Daren Lee a below avg starter. With Woody in the UK and his brother a sycophant who wants to be buddies with the players kissing their ass any chance he gets we will be stuck with Mac and Bowles for a while.

I just want to know what happened at 4:30 on September 4, 2018 that made you realize this happened in last year's draft and decide it was worth a new thread.

8 minutes ago, Doggin94it said:

I just want to know what happened at 4:30 on September 4, 2018 that made you realize this happened in last year's draft and decide it was worth a new thread.

Hearing Bowles say they looked at Webb in the draft. Seeing they took Stewart ahead of Webb and oh yea Kareem Hunt even though they were looking for a RB.

Once again I would like to state that despite Mac’s draft shortcomings, he didn’t draft Paxton Lynch.

Now he drafted Hackenturd 2nd round which is ridiculous but at least he didn’t draft that crybaby weirdo Paxton with a 1st round pick. I’ll take Darron Lee over that bum 10 times out of 10. 

This seems like fun. Let's pick out all the times the Jets picked a crappy player ahead of someone really good. This is definitely a worthwhile endeavor since that's not something that happens to other teams. Only us. (Btw, I'm not saying Stewart is crappy. The jury is still out on him).

How about the time the Jets picked fullback Roger Vick ahead of ... just about everyone! Damn that Joe Walton.

I really hate these assinine posts that pop up about once a month! " Our GM is a moron because passed on __________ in the ___ round.  Kareem Hunt was the 86th pick. So every Gm in the league passed on him twice, most passing him up three times. Are they all morons??

12 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Mac places zero value on the oline and RBs.

hmm; seems that Mac tried to trade up to draft an OL but it was too steep. So, how does trying to trade up in the 1st not putting value on OL. Also, many feel that unless you are drafting an AP, you don't draft RB in the first round; doesn't mean that they place zero value on them, it just means that for a player with a 3-4 year avg. career and can be found in other rounds, it pays to draft other positions in the early rounds.

4 minutes ago, bostonmajet said:

hmm; seems that Mac tried to trade up to draft an OL but it was too steep. So, how does trying to trade up in the 1st not putting value on OL. Also, many feel that unless you are drafting an AP, you don't draft RB in the first round; doesn't mean that they place zero value on them, it just means that for a player with a 3-4 year avg. career and can be found in other rounds, it pays to draft other positions in the early rounds.

He has used less draft resources than any other team in the league in the last 4 years for the oline.  Who has he drafted at RB?  Mcguire?  A 6th,7th round pick in 4 years?

Sorry 'he tried' means zero.

2 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

He has used less draft resources than any other team in the league in the last 4 years for the oline.  Who has he drafted at RB?  Mcguire?  A 6th,7th round pick in 4 years?

Sorry 'he tried' means zero.

Yes, that is what has happened, but clearly he tried to draft an OL in the first, so he isn't opposed to it, just hasn't happened. Next year's draft is supposed to have a lot of OL depth, let's see how it plays out.

Remember, up until last year, Bowles wouldn't start a rookie over a vet, then it was Bowles won't start a rookie QB over a vet, and Mac only drafts defense in the 1st, and he won't go all in (or trade up) on a QB. 4 years of drafting with a really bad team with no depth (and some bad picks I will grant you) will show some skewed statistical patterns. Let's assume we drafted OL in the first 2 rounds the previous year, everyone will say the Mac doesn't value secondary in the draft.

Please don't confuse the discussion about whether or not Mac values OL and RB with the Mac is a good/bad drafter/GM. My comment was just that a guy who tried to trade up (spend extra draft capital) in the 1st to get an OL does not present himself as someone who doesn't value OL or won't spend draft capital on them.

He clearly goes by BPA (at least in the first few rounds) and on a team with very little young talent, you can draft a lot of players in rounds 1-3 and not hit all of the bases. Maybe that is how the draft fell out, maybe we just suck in scouting.

3 minutes ago, bostonmajet said:

Maybe that is how the draft fell out, maybe we just suck in scouting.

From 2015-2017, it is clear that the Jets s##ked at scouting.  They were outpicked, even in weak drafts, time and time again.  

In my view, this was a product of the scouts Mac was supposed to keep, Mac being over-rated at scouting on his own without the Texan scouts, and some undo influence from other people in the draft room.  

While drafting very poorly in 2015, Mac almost built a playoff team through trades and FAs.  He picked up some decent UDFA's along the way, and worked out a few good trades.  The Richardson and Bridgewater trades were very good for the Jets.  He obtained an apparent FQB, which many GMs in the NFL have not or never do (they get fired if they don't after a few years, which Mac was on his way to).   He overpaid apparently for Trumaine Johnson.

But being an NFL GM is a forward looking challenge.  What can Mac do for the Jets now?  Is he the GM that can use the cap space and draft picks to build a team around Darnold so the Jets can make the playoffs in 2019 and compete for the Super Bowl during Darnold's rookie contract?  If not, he needs to go.  The only way the answer to this question is yes is if there is basically a different team under Mac than what was there in 2015-2017, because the guys who wrote the reports and made the recommendations then were NOT GOOD.

the hack over Deion Jones? whaat?  maybe that's why he went back to back safety since he missed out on back to back LB, realized he needed Lee insurance

Lynch + Deion Jones >>> Lee + Hack

Deion Jones was my sleeper pick that year, I really liked the kid thought he would have been great in the third or fourth round. I thought the falcons reached for him they got lucky and he panned out.

Sent from my [device_name] using http://JetNation.com mobile app

Unless Wikipedia is wrong, since 2014 , 4 OL picked in the first 4 rounds have made the Pro Bowl. Taylor Lewan, Zack Martin and Trai Turner, all in 2014(pre Macc) and Brandon Scherf, taken right before Leo, in 2015. Doesn't seem like we've missed out on a bunch of future Canton guys.

1 hour ago, Jetsbb said:

You have a call from Mike Hunt

6 minutes ago, section314 said:

Unless Wikipedia is wrong, since 2014 , 4 OL picked in the first 4 rounds have made the Pro Bowl. Taylor Lewan, Zack Martin and Trai Turner, all in 2014(pre Macc) and Brandon Scherf, taken right before Leo, in 2015. Doesn't seem like we've missed out on a bunch of future Canton guys.

I have spent too much time going over the players practically passed over by Mac to pick the players he did.

In his defense, based on the drafts and where he picked, there were not alot of smoking gun OL that he missed.  Elflein over Stewart stands out.  There were ALOT of other good players he missed.

But if the Jets picked the players they could have, they would be a better team, and then could have used their cap money on Solder and Norwell, rather than Tremaine Johnson, who they would not need if they picked Lattimore or Sidney Jones.  

Hindsight is always 20/20. We have a gm that goes best player available on his board but cause someone out preforms his draft round and we missed out cause we picked someone else is absurd. If people knew that said player was going to be that good he would of went 1st round. Lot of hindsight gms on this board

One issue could be the state of our OL. Consider that most RBs need at hole (or at least a clean backfield). With our OL woes, maybe it just doesn't pay to invest in a RB. Or, maybe a good RB looks bad with bad OL and predictable play calls and with teams stacking the box. Best way to improve running game is to improve OL and throw enough deep passes to pull the safeties back.

1 minute ago, varjet said:

But if the Jets picked the players they could have, they would be a better team, and then could have used their cap money on Solder and Norwell, rather than Tremaine Johnson, who they would not need if they picked Lattimore or Sidney Jones.  

Solder, IMO, was highly overrated. Not to mention signed a huge deal at age 30. Giants are a win now team (in their minds). A 4 year deal with 35 million in guarantees to a 30 year old who looked good holding with Brady behind him? Had the Jets signed him, the board would explode and then explode again 2 years later when he was done.

1 minute ago, bostonmajet said:

Solder, IMO, was highly overrated. Not to mention signed a huge deal at age 30. Giants are a win now team (in their minds). A 4 year deal with 35 million in guarantees to a 30 year old who looked good holding with Brady behind him? Had the Jets signed him, the board would explode and then explode again 2 years later when he was done.

Point taken.  I think people said the same thing about Whitworth.  We need an LT for 2019.  I hope we end up better than Solder.

The Jets basically have a 5 window now to compete for a championship.  Perhaps this year was too early to pull the trigger on Solder.  Hopefully we can draft an LT next year.  I can see the Jets drafting relatively high in 2019.

Archived