Randy Fichtner (PIT OC)

KRL

I mentioned him in a previous post, he's not a "young, sexy" name but
he should be considered as a HC candidate.  Fitchner has been on PIT
staff for over 10 years as a WR coach, QB coach and an OC.  PIT has
elite offensive talent but you have to be impressed with his play design
and deployment of personnel.  In addition when you lose a RB like Bell
and your running game doesn't miss a beat is extremely impressive.
He needs to be interviewed:

https://www.steelers.com/team/coaches-roster/randy-fichtner

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Randy_Fichtner

5 hours ago, KRL said:

I mentioned him in a previous post, he's not a "young, sexy" name but
he should be considered as a HC candidate.  Fitchner has been on PIT
staff for over 10 years as a WR coach, QB coach and an OC.  PIT has
elite offensive talent but you have to be impressed with his play design
and deployment of personnel.  In addition when you lose a RB like Bell
and your running game doesn't miss a beat is extremely impressive.
He needs to be interviewed:

https://www.steelers.com/team/coaches-roster/randy-fichtner

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Randy_Fichtner

In the category of older, "veteran" offensive minds who just never really got that opportunity to be a HC was Bruce Arians, also from Pittsburgh.  The Cardinals did well by hiring BA.  He revitalized Carson Palmer's career and made a NFC Championship Game run.  I have no problem getting an experienced guy who just hasn't been given the chance yet.

Don't know much about him but the concerns would be that he's riding a talented, experienced team and Big Ben has become somewhat of a coach on the field later in his career.  But again, let's look at all of these guys.

8 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

In the category of older, "veteran" offensive minds who just never really got that opportunity to be a HC was Bruce Arians, also from Pittsburgh.  The Cardinals did well by hiring BA.  He revitalized Carson Palmer's career and made a NFC Championship Game run.  I have no problem getting an experienced guy who just hasn't been given the chance yet.

Don't know much about him but the concerns would be that he's riding a talented, experienced team and Big Ben has become somewhat of a coach on the field later in his career.  But again, let's look at all of these guys.

it's so hard to figure out who's going to be the right coach.  i like the fact the guy is from a winning program and has worked his way up.  on the other hand you get clowns like little joshy who just don't seem to realize they are not the bellichicken.

we'll see. there's still 7 games that may just save bowles.  and there is actually still a chance he'll be a decent coach.  there just seem to be too many personnel talent holes to fill to really judge this guy at times.

He's been an OC in the NFL for 1 year. The steelers have elite talent that could EASILY be the reason the offense works. Give me a guy that makes things work with lesser talent. 

I'm not saying he wouldn't be a good hire, you never really know, but I would rather take my chances with Matt Lafleur. He's young, which is a good thing in the modern NFL. He isn't beholden to past notions of ground and pound, run between the tackles despite every lineman being 300 pounds and quick. While he is only 38, he actually has 5 more years of coaching experience than Mcvay. 

4 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

And if we are looking for ocs, pete Carmichael from new orleans

You'd think he'd only be open to coming here as a HC... why leave that gravy gig otherwise. 

I'm pulling for him, and hopefully he can bring Curtis Johnson along -- so the latter can bring our WR corps into the 21st century

5 hours ago, bealeb319 said:

We don't need a new thread for every single person who is eligible to be a coach especially if you mentioned this guy in another thread already.

Sent from my LGUS991 using JetNation.com mobile app

What we don't need is people telling us how to moderate the board. This is great info, if we need help on moderation we will let you know.

9 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

And if we are looking for ocs, pete Carmichael from new orleans

Supposedly he is very happy being Payton’s OC and doesn’t really have the desire the be a HC.   

Maybe after Brees retires you could get the Payton/Carmichael here, but that’s a couple years away.  

My problem with an "older, experienced guy," even one that has never been a head coach, is that he probably has the good 'ol boys NFL coaching mind set deeply ingrained.  

Punting on 4th and shorts.  Kicking FGs on the road against better teams.   I hate that crap.  It is archaic logic.  Can't watch it anymore. 

Give me a young, innovative, ultra aggressive mind from the college ranks.  A 30-something that has zero interest in "how we do things in the NFL."  A coach that is going to bring some fun into the No Fun League.   The players will respond...   I know it...

30 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

Supposedly he is very happy being Payton’s OC and doesn’t really have the desire the be a HC.   

Maybe after Brees retires you could get the Payton/Carmichael here, but that’s a couple years away.  

Brees may want to retire on a high note if they win the Super Bowl this year. 

1 hour ago, rangerous said:

it's so hard to figure out who's going to be the right coach.  i like the fact the guy is from a winning program and has worked his way up.  on the other hand you get clowns like little joshy who just don't seem to realize they are not the bellichicken.

we'll see. there's still 7 games that may just save bowles.  and there is actually still a chance he'll be a decent coach.  there just seem to be too many personnel talent holes to fill to really judge this guy at times.

After four years what you see is what you get.

6 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

My problem with an "older, experienced guy," even one that has never been a head coach, is that he probably has the good 'ol boys NFL coaching mind set deeply ingrained.  

Punting on 4th and shorts.  Kicking FGs on the road against better teams.   I hate that crap.  It is archaic logic.  Can't watch it anymore. 

Give me a young, innovative, ultra aggressive mind from the college ranks.  A 30-something that has zero interest in "how we do things in the NFL."  A coach that is going to bring some fun into the No Fun League.   The players will respond...   I know it...

Problem with a young college coach is the ability to build a staff. Without a strong GM to help its a tough road. Don’t believe Mac is that guy and not sure the Jets can attract that guy. So I would avoid that coach unless he has some NFL experience and connection.

So why is it the practice to hire people without experience and success at a position? Wouldn't it be better to hire a coach (and GM) with previous NFL success? Trade for one if need be or throw a pile of money at him.,

Otherwise you get another person learning on the job (i.e. Pete Carroll when he was here or Belichick with Cleveland). If your argument is that neither had the horses to work with then does it really make sense to change the coach? You need to change the GM and let HIM hire the coach.

This is like, say a mid level food franchise chasing a CFO or COO of another organization rather than McDonald's CEO or a major market MLB team hiring an inexperienced player agent to be the GM. 

Not that I'm criticizing you guys it is just a weird business practice endemic to the NFL

19 minutes ago, Bocajetfan said:

Problem with a young college coach is the ability to build a staff. Without a strong GM to help its a tough road. Don’t believe Mac is that guy and not sure the Jets can attract that guy. So I would avoid that coach unless he has some NFL experience and connection.

Fair point.  But I have a feeling there are more NFL position coaches than we think just as tired of the same old boring stuff as us fans... eager to try out something new.

21 minutes ago, Bocajetfan said:

While this is likely true for a college coach, its not true for a young offensive minded coach as both Mcvay and Nagy have excellent defensive coordinators.

Fitchner to me doesnt look like someone who is going to command the team, and if we were looking to the steelers, Mike Munchak could be someone who has HC experience but isnt the  young up-and-comer that we probably need.

We should fire Mac and Bowles.  Promote Brian Hermdinger to GM and go hard after Matt Lafluer, DeFilippo or Dan Campbell.  In both cases we could essentially keep Bates and Dennison.  Lafleur and DeFilipo will be the play caller wherever they wind up, but Bates and Dennison could keep some continuity here and help install an overall offensive scheme.  Campbell is going to need a playcaller and OC installer so we could keep a similar system and hope that Campbell can incorporate some of the Saints downfield concepts into the offense.

1 hour ago, sec101row23 said:

You know what coaches love the most? Personnel control. You offer Payton VP of Football Ops / Head Coach, with a boatload of $, I bet he’s be willing to leave.

Who knows if he has some clause in his contract with language as such, allowing him to leave because it includes a new title and position. Or we give up draft picks for him.

1 hour ago, Paradis said:

You'd think he'd only be open to coming here as a HC... why leave that gravy gig otherwise. 

I'm pulling for him, and hopefully he can bring Curtis Johnson along -- so the latter can bring our WR corps into the 21st century

Man.....now you are getting really greedy.?

2 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

He's been an OC in the NFL for 1 year. The steelers have elite talent that could EASILY be the reason the offense works. Give me a guy that makes things work with lesser talent. 

I'm not saying he wouldn't be a good hire, you never really know, but I would rather take my chances with Matt Lafleur. He's young, which is a good thing in the modern NFL. He isn't beholden to past notions of ground and pound, run between the tackles despite every lineman being 300 pounds and quick. While he is only 38, he actually has 5 more years of coaching experience than Mcvay. 

The Titans offense is dreadful. No thanks. 

This is a name that has been bandied about 

maybe he is an offensive genius (hah) 

but just so people know, this is what first time OC, in his first year Randy Fichner looks like 

Fichtner_Ben.jpg 

not saying he's not like a great coach or whatever but he just has the look of a dude who dips Kodiak wintergreen

Archived