BREAKING: Jets going to hire Gase

Point is that these guys were not only "not great",  it is questionable whether they had any talent at all.  Darnold is "different".  Look at the progress he made this year despite the "circus" he had surrounding him.  I am not concerned about him at all, I'm sure you're not either. Other than McCarthy.  who on that list can you be sure would be able to develop Sam better than Gase, and fill all the other qualities required of an NFL head coach.   In my opinion, sadly no one.  Let's see what happens.

But Gase hasn’t developed anyone, ever.
  • Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

This reminds me of when we drafted hackenburg and lee.  Just a few of the players on the do not want list.

This is the equivalent of some team hiring todd bowles right now as their head coach because he has experience, even though his specialty has been el stinko and down trending for years.

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

I’m trying to grin and bear it. HOW!?

HOW DO I DO THIS?

Your still young, most of us on here have been enduring this sh*t for 40 plus years.

Good news Woody isn't getting any younger. Hopefully the clown show sells the club before he pass's.

You never know Gase maybe semi - competent, which would be a major upgrade from Ryan and Bowles. 

Just now, BurnleyJet said:

Your still young, most of us on here have been enduring this sh*t for 40 plus years.

Good news Woody isn't getting any younger. Hopefully the clown show sells the club before he pass's.

You never know Gase maybe semi - competent, which would be a major upgrade from Ryan and Bowles. 

so sad that we have pin our hopes on this.  Been watching this team since 1965.  This sucks.  And that's no over reaction.  Maybe Gase won't suck as bad as he did in Miami. Maybe.

19 minutes ago, Dcat said:

so sad that we have pin our hopes on this.  Been watching this team since 1965.  This sucks.  And that's no over reaction.  Maybe Gase won't suck as bad as he did in Miami. Maybe.

At this moment I'm trying not to have my emtions run away with me.

I think it's a meh signing, he's got an up hill battle on his hands to win over the fan base. There will be no honeymoon.

Been out all day and off social media. Just catching up to the news that we're hiring Gase?

Is this some sort of sick joke?

This smells of Maccagnan covering his arse and refusing to meet McCarthy's terms because he wants to stay gainfully employed for longer than 12 months.

Really disappointed that we're hiring a Dolphins cast off.

• Upvote 1

I wanted Monken...I thought he gave us everything we needed.

I also thought Gase was either the worst or second to worst option (over McCarthy, who would have been awful)

So i sort of hate the hire and feel pretty mad.

However, there is a chance he just becomes a great HC. If Gase and Darnold just mesh like Belichick and Brady/ Peyton and Brees then maybe we have something.

He must have really impressed because the Jets had to know the fans would hate this pick. Manning loves him. Maybe Manning becomes an unofficial coach and mentor to Sam because of this?

His run at Miami was weird but Ross is a horrible owner. Gil Brandt says absentee owners destroy teams just because they are absentee, so maybe that was a factor. His QB situation was so bad maybe he could never run his vision of the defense.

i know I hate it, but I will root for him to succeed.

If I was laying odds, I would say Mac and Gase both being fired in 2 years is a much better bet than Gase succeeding but who knows?

• Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, Aussie Jet said:

Been out all day and off social media. Just catching up to the news that were hiring Gase?

Is this some sort of sick joke?

This smells of Maccagnan covering his arse and refusing to meet McCarthy's terms because he wants to stay gainfully employed for longer than 12 months.

Really disappointed that we're hiring a Dolphins cast off.

It is pretty obvious at this point that the Jets had no interest in McCarthy

I wanted Monken...I thought he gave us everything we needed.
I also thought Gase was either the worst or second to worst option (over McCarthy, who would have been awful)
So i sort of hate the hire and feel pretty mad.
However, there is a chance he just becomes a great HC. If Gase and Darnold just mesh like Belichick and Brady/ Peyton and Brees then maybe we have something.
He must have really impressed because the Jets had to know the fans would hate this pick. Manning loves him. Maybe Manning becomes an unofficial coach and mentor to Sam because of this?
His run at Miami was weird but Ross is a horrible owner. Gil Brandt says absentee owners destroy teams just because they are absentee, so maybe that was a factor. His QB situation was so bad maybe he could never run his vision of the defense.
i know I hate it, but I will root for him to succeed.
If I was laying odds, I would say Mac and Gase both being fired in 2 years is a much better bet than Gase succeeding but who knows?

Yeah, unlike McCarthy, I have the tiniest sliver of hope here.

This sucks, though. It’s almost worst case scenario.

It’s not that obvious actually and something seems off in the way McCarthy was handled 

Seems to me that he probably bombed the interview and knowing how the majority of public sentiment was for him being hired, he started putting stuff out there to try to force the Jets hand.

**** him.
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, The Troll said:

Seems to me that he probably bombed the interview and knowing how the majority of public sentiment was for him being hired, he started putting stuff out there to try to force the Jets hand.

**** him.

unlikely imo. Only way he bombs the interview is if he shows up without his super bowl ring on

3 minutes ago, The Troll said:

**** him.

this was 100% Maccagnan sabotage on McCarthy.  

unlikely imo. Only way he bombs the interview is if he shows up without his super bowl ring on

“What went wrong in Green Bay?”

That would be the first question I asked him and if he answered wrong, I wouldn’t have even considered him.

Also, he could have been adamant that he brings his “guys” with him, one of whom trashed Darnold over the summer.

That would be the first question I asked him and if he answered wrong, I wouldn’t have even considered him.

Also, he could have been adamant that he brings his “guys” with him, one of whom trashed Darnold over the summer.

I didn’t mean to quote myself.

I believe that New Coke was an elaborate marketing ploy to distract us while they switched to corn syrup, but I don’t believe that.

If he’d blown them away in the interview, with his credentials, he’d have never left the building.

8 minutes ago, The Troll said:

Rodgers isn’t exactly a Boy Scout. Rodgers is what went wrong in Green Bay I would say. Isn’t Rodgers the guy who has no relationship with his family? Yeah that’s not a red flag. 

Rodgers isn’t exactly a Boy Scout. Rodgers is what went wrong in Green Bay I would say. Isn’t Rodgers the guy who has no relationship with his family? Yeah that’s not a red flag. 

Wrong answer. This paragraph in a PFT article from earlier tonight sums it up.

So what happens next for McCarthy the football coach? He could end up being in play in 2020, or maybe not. The fact that there was no land rush for his services in the current hiring cycle underscores the widespread concerns regarding perceived (or actual) inflexibility and simplicity of his approach to offense. It’s widely regarded as an all-too-easily defended attack, lacking in creativity and innovation.

Apparently, the various teams currently looking for head coaches agreed.

3 hours ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

Point is that these guys were not only "not great",  it is questionable whether they had any talent at all.  Darnold is "different".  Look at the progress he made this year despite the "circus" he had surrounding him.  I am not concerned about him at all, I'm sure you're not either. Other than McCarthy.  who on that list can you be sure would be able to develop Sam better than Gase, and fill all the other qualities required of an NFL head coach.   In my opinion, sadly no one.  Let's see what happens.

Gase will win in NY with Sam who is, hands down, one of the best young QB’s in the league. He was hired to be Sam’s mentor which was sorely needed. That’s what was paramount. And the guy knows offense. Weren’t you all screaming for an offensive minded HC who has experience? Well you got what you asked for. Is he raw? Definitely. We can only hope he grows from the situation in Miami. Sam must have had an influence on his hiring as well. I have no doubt of this. And the guy will influence Macc’s choices in FA and the draft to rebuild it. The one concern is the defense. But didn’t Miami have a pretty fair defense? How Gase figured in that is an unknown to me but they kicked our ass time after time defensively. They won those games with their defense not thru Tannehill who is one of the worst QB’s in the league. This is definitely a move in the right direction, a 360 from a stiff like Bowles. 

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

Whaaaaaaaaahhhhhhh?????

I'll take gase over a bunch of college coaches who coached a bunch of unranked teams with 0 NFL coaching experience. 

Gase didn't have much to work with in Miami as far as quarterbacks go. His worst season was 7-9. Half of his time in Miami,  he was forced to play his 2nd string QB. 

Peyton Manning had his best 2 years of his career under Gase.  Cutler had his best year in Chicago with him. Tannehill had his single best year under Gase his first year. 

Gase has a history of getting the most out of his QBs. Miami missed the playoffs because of injuries to the QB and because of the architect behind the roster (Tannenbaum). 

Gase is young and one of better up and coming coaches of the past 7-8 years. I'm sure he made mistakes in Miami,  and the firing can be a lesson (even though he didn't deserve to be fired) 

• Upvote 3

Whaaaaaaaaahhhhhhh
I'll take gase over a bunch of college coaches who coached a bunch of unranked teams with 0 NFL coaching experience. 
Gase didn't have much to work with in Miami as far as quarterbacks go. His worst season was 7-9. Half of his time in Miami,  he was forced to play his 2nd string QB. 
Peyton Manning had his best 2 years of his career under Gase.  Cutler had his best year in Chicago with him. Tannehill had his single best year under Gase his first year. 
Gase has a history of getting the most out of his QBs. Miami missed the playoffs because of injuries to the QB and because of the architect behind the roster (Tannenbaum). 
Gase is young and one of better up and coming coaches of the past 7-8 years. I'm sure he made mistakes in Miami,  and the firing can be a lesson (even though he didn't deserve to be fired) 

Good thing our architect is a goddamn genius.
  • Upvote 1

10 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

My thoughts....

1. Better than Bowles

2. Glad he has HC experience

3. Probably the best candidate left that's closest to a "Quarterback whisperer."  The others have big risks associated with them as well.

4. In my opinion, better than McCarthy.  We could have had McCarthy if we wanted him.

5. The big concerns about Gase relate to his ability to motivate players and communicate.

Probably the biggest and most important job of a head coach, so why worry????

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Dcat said:

You got that right. The way I look at it after my initial outburst after the Gase signing is that Jet fans are in a win-win situation. If he proves everyone wrong and turns the Jets into a contender, more power to him. If he runs the franchise into the ground, Macc will be shown the door and all Jet fans will celebrate in unison.

Don't think I am upset with Gase as HC for the Jets but the process was very strange

the Jets strategy since Woody let CC chose the GM and HC has been low risk; each first round pick has been the safe choice, consensus pick, solid player, not swinging for the fences 

based on that, McCarthy was the obvious choice , although it seemed CJ liked the idea of higher risk/reward hire in Kingsburg, Monken, or Rhule

just feels like they settled - somewhere in the middle and could have waited a month, Gase would have been there - maybe give Bieniemy another chance  after the Super Bowl if they wanted a more stable choice or swing for the fences but let the process flow - they had 7-8 first round interviews and no real second round? strange, was it a panic move, rash decision?

11 hours ago, Philc1 said:

1. Seahawks physically dominated that game and the game started with Ramirez botching a snap to Manning.  Not sure what Gase was supposed to do 

2. Osweiler played much better with Gase than without him

3. Bears traded away Brandon Marshall and Jay Cutler decided to retire unofficially 

4. Tannehill stinks.  Still got to a playoffs with him

I have my concerns about Gase specifically I think he has a lot of Mangini in him which is both a good and bad thing.  I’m worried free agents are not going to sign here because of him.  I do think Sam will play well with his coaching 

I think "Seahawks dominated" is a bit of a magic white-out excuse for all aspects of the Broncos' offense

Osweiller never played well with anyone, so meh to the idea that he played much better with Gase. He had one really good game with Denver against a Bears team whose passing TDs:attempts ratio was an embarrassment that year. Oh and an ok game against the Bengals whose D got its mediocre marks by beating up on Oak, Rams, Cle, SF, and other offensive wimps.

Bears shmears. He still had Alshon Jeffery and Martellus Bennett (whose production disappeared when Gase appeared) and enough other support (even Eddie Royal was a 700+ receiver the year before) to do better than #23. Plus it's at least comparable firepower to what the Jets have so it's hardly reason for optimism. 

The point wasn't whether or not Tannehill is so great or not; rather that he was no better under Gase than under Philbin. Playoffs have a lot of other things leading to it (not the least of which are 2 doormats in the division) and tie breakers. Their 10-6 record that year was the same as the Jets in Bowles' first season and literally no fans wanted him back; the only difference was tie breakers. Then they were 1 & done anyway after getting humiliated by Pittsburgh. The score was 30-6 before Miami scored a garbage-time TD, and Miami then had more of teh wepponz and a better OL around their QB than Maccagnan will furnish him with.

Look, he may do just fine -- any fans' pessimisms aside we all hope he will. But this isn't the HC resume we were excited to end up with when the team announced they were going to go big this time on its HC hire.

Worse still, the early rumor was that they shied away from McCarthy not because they didn't want him and didn't like him as coaching material, but because of keeping Maccagnan's power intact, and even worse possibly over a couple million $ per year (insanity when the salary cap for a multi-billion dollar franchise is coming up on $200MM annually).

• Upvote 3

Historically speaking, Gase was the right pick.

Look at most of the Super Bowl winning coaches over the past 10 years (Bellichek, Carrol, Coughlin & Kubiak). What do they all have in common? They succeeded their 2nd time around (and never one a championship during their first gig).

Like it or not, there is a learning curve for coaches. Jets figured that out and made the right pick.

• Upvote 1