BREAKING: Jets going to hire Gase

I will wait and see. A lot depends on the staff hired by him.

My preferences of ex NFL head coaches was Caldwell. Did not want McCarthy at all.

The real issue with this team is if Mac can suddenly find a brain and a nose for talent, because if he keeps striking out on most  picks in rounds 2-6, and has more poor free agent signings, who the coach is won't  matter.

the team and the johnsons needed a VP of football operations bad. that was the first hire they should have made.

instead, they maintained the dual, equal reporting structure to Johnson, and allowed Maccagnan to poison the well.

One person should have been making the decision. A VP of football. And he would report his findings to Johnson, and Johnson would sign off.

Christopher Johnson might know how to make baby powder but he doesn’t know football, and he doesn’t understand the Jets brand. Maccagnan is glorified scout. He also knows jack.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 2
  • Post of the Week 1

4 minutes ago, Pac said:

The embarrassing part was Rhule acting like he's earned the right to dictate terms.  Glad they said no thanks.

If you think he's worthy of the HC job, then he should be worthy of picking his own staff.

It'd be like hiring a GM, then not letting him pick his own scouts.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, JetsYanks13 said:

This hire reaks of a compromise. Johnson wanted McCarthy and macc wanted Rhule. They compromised and hired this clown. How do you sell this to the fanbase?

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

I respect your posts, but you and I both know that this never happened.  Something blew up the McCarthy deal, turned them off.  They kicked the tires on Rhule, decided he wasn't ready for prime time, and took a seasoned NFL Coach/Coordinator who would not be in over his head .  Simple.  I didn't want Gase either, but will live with it and understand why they made the choice.

3 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

I agree that’s a valid concern.  I was actually against hiring Gase because like Mangini I think players don’t like him

That said after McCarthy he was the best coach available who actually wanted to come here

It's a real concern for sure. I really don't get it from a complete culture change standpoint. It seems like a poor choice. 

Seems like we had Rhule and McCarthy willing. We also had the others who would have taken the job like Richard or whoever. I don't think anyone we interviewed wouldn't have take the job. Monken is interviewing in Jax as OC. He would have taken it too. 

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Well yeah it kinda matters who the qb and WRs are

They lost Landry, garbage at the qb position you were expecting the 1999 Rams?  

Btw Gase is like 5-1 against the jets and beat them twice last year

They didn’t “lose” Landry, Gase got rid of him. 

How hard is it to beat the Bowles coached Jets? That’s a claim to fame? Unfortunately there are other teams in the league to play 

I just don’t know wtf to think. I know that Gase  is better than Bowles, I just hope he can get along with players.  Eff the media.  I hope Gase gets the job done and picks a different staff then he had in Miami.  I’d love Greg Williams as DC. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

It's a real concern for sure. I really don't get it from a complete culture change standpoint. It seems like a poor choice. 

Seems like we had Rhule and McCarthy willing. We also had the others who would have taken the job like Richard or whoever. I don't think anyone we interviewed wouldn't have take the job. Monken is interviewing in Jax as OC. He would have taken it too. 

Rhule is a friggin joke.  Please

McCarthy I wanted he was my number one choice from day 1

That said I think it’s a good and bad thing Gase is an abrasive a$$hole.  After 4 years of Bowles be a weak empty suit I want a guy who is going to be a foot in the ass 

2 minutes ago, Xtina said:

They didn’t “lose” Landry, Gase got rid of him. 

How hard is it to beat the Bowles coached Jets? That’s a claim to fame? Unfortunately there are other teams in the league to play 

Landry was a UFA

Gase making the playoffs with Ryan Tannehill a total and complete loser is a bigger accomplishment than anything the jets have done the past 8 years

2 hours ago, Philc1 said:

Sounds like Mac wants to handpick the entire staff which is very troubling

That entire 17 page thread earlier this evening was right, Mac wanted a puppet.

Instead he got the only guy who will be less liked by fans than Mac himself

• Upvote 1

Mehta has to be a Johnson and Johnson plant at this point. Softening the fanbase's outcry at passing over McCarthy since Day 1 and shilling all the hot flavor of the week candidates (Campbell, Rhule)

Rhule was a nothing candidate with no NFL clout so I'm happy they at least went another way. Forcing an OC on him was the right move if they were seriously entertaining the idea.

• Upvote 1