To our Anti-Gaseous Brethern

jgb

Playoffs.  It is no longer about showing progress or just getting better.  8 years of no playoffs is enough.  Gase-Macc need to end that drought this season.  Texans made the playoffs in year 2 of Watson.  Eagles and Rams made the playoffs in year 2 of Wentz and Goff.  Bears made the playoffs in year 2 with Trubisky.  Jets need to make the playoffs in year 2 of Darnold.  It should not be unattainable.

Gotta make the playoffs.

15 minutes ago, Jetlife33 said:

I don’t think there will be a grace period for this coach the way this was all handled, fans are going to want playoffs and immediate success. 

They should. Maccagnan’s entering his fifth year and has put together exactly one (1) team that wasn’t a toilet fire. If the Jets aren’t in the playoffs next year, he should be fired.

I am ok as long as Sam is happy and developing his career as the Jets FQB but I will put this out there for the haters

Imagine the Jets clinch the division with a win in Miami to finish the season, Gase pointing finger in Ross's face yelling "I told you so" so Marino (or Tanny) pushes Gase to protect his master and Gates knocks his ass out on the field - mud bowl that MF

Anything?

There should be a maximum of 2 years for this Mac/Gase marriage. And if it’s one hear that works too. 

Sam is only 21 and Gase should help his development regardless of the team’s record but if this doesn’t appear to be working even in the slightest, Chris Johnson needs to fire every person i the building, bring in a well respected young GM (Eliot Wolff) and have him pick his own guy and that tandem takes Sam and this team through his 24-30 years. 

Just now, BCJet said:

There should be a maximum of 2 years for this Mac/Gase marriage. And if it’s one hear that works too. 

Sam is only 21 and Gase should help his development regardless of the team’s record but if this doesn’t appear to be working even in the slightest, Chris Johnson needs to fire every person i the building, bring in a well respected young GM (Eliot Wolff) and have him pick his own guy and that tandem takes Sam and this team through his 24-30 years. 

And that's the problem.  So now Sam will be going on three HCs/Ocs in three years.  That means we put another QB prospect on the scrap heap.

14 minutes ago, Lith said:

Playoffs.  It is no longer about showing progress or just getting better.  8 years of no playoffs is enough.  Gase-Macc need to end that drought this season.  Texans made the playoffs in year 2 of Watson.  Eagles and Rams made the playoffs in year 2 of Wentz and Goff.  Bears made the playoffs in year 2 with Trubisky.  Jets need to make the playoffs in year 2 of Darnold.  It should not be unattainable.

Gotta make the playoffs.

14 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

They should. Maccagnan’s entering his fifth year and has put together exactly one (1) team that wasn’t a toilet fire. If the Jets aren’t in the playoffs next year, he should be fired.

MAC is a "Scared" GM.  Throws money at problems and drafts poorly.  Having read Gettlemans draft analysis of "Can you envision him in a gold jacket?". There is no way a reasonable GM drafts Hackenburg, offers a $100 million to Cousins etc.  I simply don't see the talent level on this team reaching critical mass under MAC. 

People saying playoffs in 2019 or bust are just not being realistic. We hired a new coach and are expecting/hoping he will implement a new offense to save and develop Sam, we also have no real impact players on offense other than maybe Enunuwa. This is gonna take longer than a year for him to revamp everything we gotta be patient and actually give the guy a chance because hoping this guy fails just so you can say you were right is foolish. We're already 1 year down on Sams rookie deal we can't waste anymore time

20 minutes ago, Lith said:

Gotta make the playoffs.

I agree.  I have way more faith in Gase than I do Maccagnan however.  In all of those instances you cited, the rosters were in much better shape than the Jets.   We’ll see what moves Maccagnan makes in the coming months, but there is some serious work to do if this team team is going to make the playoffs.  

31 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

But he's still rebuilding. He has to spend all this cap room, and then they need a year or two to get familiar with each other and absorb the new playbooks. 

I can't believe you're so impatient. Has no one here reminded you Rome wasn't built in a day? Because I'll have you know compiling a playoff-caliber NFL roster in the salary cap (and rookie salary cap) era is directly analogous to building the planet's largest empire 2000 years ago when its armies still traveled on foot in sandals. 

1 minute ago, Sperm Edwards said:

But he's still rebuilding. He has to spend all this cap room, and then they need a year or two to get familiar with each other and absorb the new playbooks. 

I can't believe you're so impatient. Has no one here reminded you Rome wasn't built in a day? Because I'll have you know compiling a playoff-caliber NFL roster in the salary cap (and rookie salary cap) era is directly analogous to building the planet's largest empire 2000 years ago when its armies still traveled on foot in sandals. 

It’s gonna take some time to get Bowles’s guys out and Gase’s guys in. 

14 minutes ago, SR24 said:

People saying playoffs in 2019 or bust are just not being realistic. We hired a new coach and are expecting/hoping he will implement a new offense to save and develop Sam, we also have no real impact players on offense other than maybe Enunuwa. This is gonna take longer than a year for him to revamp everything we gotta be patient and actually give the guy a chance because hoping this guy fails just so you can say you were right is foolish. We're already 1 year down on Sams rookie deal we can't waste anymore time

Every new coach we've hired since Parcells (5 in a row) has had us playing for a chance to go to the playoffs in the last week of the season.  Gase at a minimum needs to accomplish that. 

17 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

It’s gonna take some time to get Bowles’s guys out and Gase’s guys in. 

Yep. I figure at least 2 more years. Then they can really start building from scratch, which should take prolly another 2 years. 

Maybe then we can accurately judge, but not before then.

18 minutes ago, Warfish said:

What do you need to see to call it a success?

Darnold passes for 4,500 yards and 30 tds. 2:1 TD to INT ratio.  

Hes 21.  I’m not expecting division titles till the guy in Boston retires.  

In the meantime I’m satisfied with a coach who will develop Darnold.  Sure, ideally, I’d have liked the Michigan Harbaugh, with Kliff or Gase at OC and Greg Williams af DC, but that wasn’t going to happen.  If we get Greg  Williams at DC, I’d feel much better.  

38 minutes ago, BCJet said:

I'm 100% fine with a short leash for both, especially if it was Mac who pushed Gase thru. 

Just now, peebag said:

The roster is still crap - but with the high draft pick and cap situation we'd better see a markedly better team in 2019 - .500 or better record better be the floor or everyone's shown the door.

We can't waste Sam's rookie contracr

I agree with this. No excuse not to be .500 or better this year. My guess is we struggle early in the season regardless, always hard to implement new systems in year 1 under new rules with no practice time, but this team should improve dramatically as the season goes on. We need to know one way or the other what we have by end of next season.

24 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

I agree.  I have way more faith in Gase than I do Maccagnan however.  In all of those instances you cited, the rosters were in much better shape than the Jets.   We’ll see what moves Maccagnan makes in the coming months, but there is some serious work to do if this team team is going to make the playoffs.  

Lets remember this team is still lacking talent just like it was before Bowles. Expecting Gase to come in and make the playoffs 1st season without any real playmakers on offense might be too harsh 

Just now, SR24 said:

Lets remember this team is still lacking talent just like it was before Bowles. Expecting Gase to come in and make the playoffs 1st season without any real playmakers on offense might be too harsh 

Exactly.  I’ve maintained all along that unless Maccagnan does his job, it doesn’t matter who the head coach is.  

3 minutes ago, slats said:

I'm 100% fine with a short leash for both, especially if it was Mac who pushed Gase thru. 

That's crazy. If they get fired after 2 years together then no one will want to come here. They need 5 years together.

4 minutes ago, NoBowles said:

I agree with this. No excuse not to be .500 or better this year. My guess is we struggle early in the season regardless, always hard to implement new systems in year 1 under new rules with no practice time, but this team should improve dramatically as the season goes on. We need to know one way or the other what we have by end of next season.

In all seriousness, yes this. 

If Gase isn't more than ~3 games better than the Todd Bowles mean, plus his added advantage of a FQB with his rookie lumps out of the way, then this is a tragic hire and send both packing before getting in any deeper.

The only sad part is the waste of multiple cheap Darnold years, and the knowledge that they won't cut ties after 2 years even if they still are at or below .500 by next year. Nope. They'll keep Gase and then go on a GM hunt, if even that. 

Archived