How much better are the Jets after these upgrades?

WayneChrebet80

good point but at the same time those pff grades probably aren't so realistic.  and it's all about how the player will fit in the system being brought by gase and williams.  i'd be the first to say they need to get football players first and foremost and then figure out how to use them.  another point is they have to spend some money.  i don't think they could've just sat on their cap money and done nothing.  and really, anyone want to pay big money to re-sign skrine or kearse?

The only thing that really helps a team get better, is getting better QB play.  Sure, all those other components are important but at the end of the day, this team is only going as far as Sam Darnold takes them. So, it's great that we spent on some very good defensive players but this offseason has to finish out strong on offense.  Bell, more OL and future investments in the draft. 

They still need a CB but that's about the only position on the defensive side I'd invest anything significant in moving forward ie; high pick or pricey FA.

Both Mosley and Barr are 2014 first round picks- the Idzik Calvin Pryor/Jace Amaro draft. Both played out their rookie contracts, both pedigree productive young studs hitting their peaks.  We had the money to spend and had none of our own guys to spend it on due to poor drafting. These are exactly the guys to get.

i still think 4/5 of our offensive line could be upgraded outside of Osemele.

1 minute ago, Joe W. Namath said:

We are much better.  But are we building sustainable success?  Or is this just a 3 year run and we are bsck to square 1 in 2022?

Only if we continue to draft like crap. If we can put together a couple competent drafts we should be able to replace these players as they leave. So hopefully with the new coaching staff Macc drafts players that stay in the NFL and not ones who populate the AAF in a couple years. 

This is when I can't stand PFF. PFF is a useful tool, but this is ridiculous. Mosley isn't a head and shoulders better player than Darron Lee? Barr isn't an upgrade over Copeland? Crowder not an upgrade over Kearse? Osemele not an upgrade over Carpenter? I mean come on, this is getting crazy with PFF. We're much better with these guys in the fold. 

We are better. Not saying we are a contender but adding Barr and Mosley most definetly helps when it comes to pressuring the QB which has been a major issue. I really like the Crowder move.  Obviously we have not work to do on offense but it seems like we are making the oline a priority.  

1 hour ago, WayneChrebet80 said:

According to PFF not much

2018 Grades:

Mosely 73.6 vs Lee 72.4

Osemele 53.6 vs Carpenter 56.3

Barr 71.4 vs Copeland 67.4

Crowder 60.9 vs Kearse 62.7

Not sure if these moves are going to be as transformative as one thinks.

Biggest upgrade needs to come from QB and coaching staff.

This is just about the worst way to evaluate the changes

Substantially better

Barr and Mosley are f*cking HUGE additions to the defense. They were arguably the two best defensive players on the FA market. They’re both only 26 years old and already have 8 pro-bowl appearances between the two of them. The Jets just went from having Williamson and a bunch of jags rounding out their LB corps to fielding what has the potential to be the best LB corps in the NFL.

Osemele just 6 months ago was widely considered to be one of the Top 3 OG’s in football.

Crowder is a young, shifty slot receiver with reliable hands and can eat you alive on those short slants and hitch routes. He plays a lot like Holmes did but without the dickish personality.

The Jets are a helluva lot better on paper than they were last season. Especially when taking into account Darnold will be heading into his sophomore season and we finally have an aggressive, well-rounded coaching staff.

Now wrap up deals with Paradis and Bell so I can sit around with a giant grin on my face until the draft.

We're certainly more expensive.  And we're making an effort, so that's good.

I don't know if we're better.  We won't know till they play the games.

Personally, I don't care about the Defense so much, I feel too much has already been invested in that (IMO failing) strategy of investing hugely in, and prioritizing, the Defense.

On Offense, we got a O-lineman who had a down year last year.  Is this going to keep sliding, or will he return to form?  I don't know.

We got a slot receiver.  On paper it looks like a like for like thing, Kearse is a similar talent.  But maybe this kid will be more invested and try harder?  Who knows.

Our #1 WR is still Anderlols.  Our #2 is still a guy whose hurt far more often than not.

Our #1 RB is still.......er.......someone?  Who knows who our #2 is, they're not that good whomever it is.

And our O-line is still amongst the weakest in the NFL, even with our new guy.

So color me a cynic so far.  I don't see the O being materially better yet, but plenty of time still to go to make more improvements.

The D.....is the D.  We'll see if it ever lives up to all the love Jets Fans give it and the hype about how much better THIS GUY is than the guy we loves (but who failed) a few years before.  A better D does help Sam, but not that much, not as much as a materially better O.

So far, VERY early still, it feels like a typical Jets Offseason.  Mostly focused on the D, with a few tossed in O placeholders everything thinks (or wants to think) will be SO much better than those old placeholders.

We'll see.  We know nothing till they play the games.

Just now, Warfish said:

Personally, I don't care about the Defense so much, I feel too much has already been invested in that (IMO failing) strategy of investing hugely in, and prioritizing, the Defense.

On Offense, we got a O-lineman who had a down year last year.  Is this going to keep sliding, or will he return to form?  I don't know.

We got a slot receiver.  On paper it looks like a like for like thing, Kearse is a similar talent.  But maybe this kid will be more invested and try harder?  Who knows.

Our #1 WR is still Anderlols.  Our #2 is still a guy whose hurt far more often than not.

Our #1 RB is still.......er.......someone?  Who knows who our #2 is, they're not that good whomever it is.

And our O-line is still amongst the weakest in the NFL, even with our new guy.

So color me a cynic so far.  I don't see the O being materially better yet, but plenty of time still to go to make more improvements.

The D.....is the D.  We'll see if it ever lives up to all the love Jets Fans give it and the hype about how much better THIS GUY is than the guy we loves (but who failed) a few years before.  A better D does help Sam, but not that much, not as much as a materially better O.

So far, VERY early still, it feels like a typical Jets Offseason.  Mostly focused on the D, with a few tossed in O placeholders everything thinks (or wants to think) will be SO much better than those old placeholders.

Come on dude these are big additions of pro bowl players in their prime. Not saying we are done, we still have work to do but we are better

1 minute ago, Warfish said:

yup. thats why the " are we an elite defense?" thread is silliness itself

2018 Grades:

Mosely 73.6 vs Lee 72.4

Wild it’s almost like PFF is an abitrary bunch of meaningless numbers that don’t reflect reality. So weird. 

We just added 2 solid pro bowl caliber linebackers who are still in their primes. We are a much better team on paper now its time for Gase and Williams to earn their stripes and put it together

2018 Grades:

Mosely 73.6 vs Lee 72.4

First off if everything remains as is, the Jets have something we haven't  had in years, quality depth. Secondly, CJ, Osemele, Crowder, and Barr all bring attitude  and leadership. Sorry but none of the guys currently on the roster has either quality. 

22 minutes ago, Sully80 said:

This is when I can't stand PFF. PFF is a useful tool, but this is ridiculous. Mosley isn't a head and shoulders better player than Darron Lee? Barr isn't an upgrade over Copeland? Crowder not an upgrade over Kearse? Osemele not an upgrade over Carpenter? I mean come on, this is getting crazy with PFF. We're much better with these guys in the fold. 

Mosley is a good player but limited.  If you listen to viking fans, Barr has gotten worse and worse each year.  Osemele alsi had a down year this year.  Its not a guarentee the jets will be better.

Not too good if they don’t get a

(insert adjective) CENTER to snap the ball to our FQB and protect him for Christ’s sake.

15 years of (Insert adjective) drafting defense. And they still couldn’t get it right! DEFENSE DEFENSE DEFENSE.

For Christ’s sake! Enough already.

Truthfully not being funny.

They need to get Bell and Paradis

(insert adjective) NOW.

After their defensive signings yesterday.

They need to spend draft capital on offense.

Not take another edge or DT for luxury.

Gimme a trade down and get OL and WR.

And I’m a defensive guy saying this!

3 minutes ago, Butterfield said:

Mosley is a good player but limited.  If you listen to viking fans, Barr has gotten worse and worse each year.  Osemele alsi had a down year this year.  Its not a guarentee the jets will be better.

Mosley is an all pro caliber MLB. Barr criticism is fair but a lot of people saying the Vikings didn't use him correctly, a lot like we never used Coples correctly. Osemele didn't have a down year he was playing injured and is not healthy and in the best shape of his life. Jets are better now than they were yesterday. I'm not saying they'll win the super bowl or even make the playoffs, but the Jets are a better team now then they were last year. 

5 minutes ago, Sully80 said:

Mosley is an all pro caliber MLB. Barr criticism is fair but a lot of people saying the Vikings didn't use him correctly, a lot like we never used Coples correctly. Osemele didn't have a down year he was playing injured and is not healthy and in the best shape of his life. Jets are better now than they were yesterday. I'm not saying they'll win the super bowl or even make the playoffs, but the Jets are a better team now then they were last year. 

They may be slightly better but the moves they have made so far don’t equate to many more wins, imo.  Thats not what you expect when they spend so much money.

Archived