Fat Mike Fran

16 hours ago, Greenbloodblitz said:

Actually it was pretty cool. Thinking back to the old days we were actually men we learned how to work hard, we were actually accountable good teammates we learned how to fight with our fists. Our mommies didn't drive us to school we didn't get cereal bars and we had no step daddy's to make us microwave Hot Pockets for dinner when we got home. We actually had muscles.. and we certainly didn't talk sh*t because we knew we could hide behind our little phone?

This guy sounds even older than @Bleedin Green

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, Greenbloodblitz said:

Hey all kidding aside. Fat Mike has been around for 30 years on the radio and was involved in sports for a decade before that. I agree with him that the modern-day athlete is an entitled " me " guy. It's disgraceful unfortunately. It is the complete opposite of what it takes to be a leader in a team sport. And unfortunately they're being congratulated by former players for " gettin that money". The modern-day athlete is concerned with his own brand. I'm raising three sons and I certainly don't tell them to look up to obj or Lev Bell! In fact it's the opposite and I use those guys as examples of what a true a-hole is, entitled and putting himself first and his team second. His team is only a vehicle for himself. Do you think all the guys on the Steelers we're happy that Lev Bell got that paper? Do you think all the guys in the Giants couldn't wait for obj to get the ball so he could get more endorsements? What about the guys who actually are good teammates and want to win together? Look up the definition of team... oh and by the way somebody just started a thread about antonio brown being late to his own introductory press conference SMH.

You're teaching your sons to get CTE so that the Rooney's can hoist another Lombardi?  I will teach my son to highstep into the end zone and stick it to the Man.  Like my father taught me. 

23 hours ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

Anyone else listening today ? Is flying off the rails. He was getting bombed by his loved giant fans about the Beckham trade. Many were calling him a moron because he is actually saying Beckham is the reason why they have been so bad past 4 -5 years ? that without him they will be much better somehow. The guy is such a eli fan boy, blind faith giants fan. We need our own guy on radio 

I feel like I am missing something. I've read multiple times that Beckham's teammates loved him. I can't really think of anything horrible he's done off the field.

The Giants ownership and Francesca are decrepit old fools who think Odell proposing to a kicking net was the worst thing that ever happened to society. 

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, Bugg said:

Francesa was wrong about Giants trading Beckham and Jets signing Bell. Listened for about 15 minutes of this idiocy today. This guy does not get the internet has made him an old babbling fool pretending he knows some inside "data" , though he woul never use the word "data'. 

Proceeded to whine about sports being about "stats and highlights" and how young people are basically fool s for thinking stats matter. Now Beckham is unquestionably a tremendous a-hole, but that kind of talent and production isn't something you can easily replace. You can put up with some a-holishness for that. Babbled about "Beckham is like Shockey and he nevah won anythin'", but Shockey was definitely on the roster if not a big part of 2 Super Bowl-winning teams. 

Ironic that the exact things he claims make Beckham such an awful guy are traits he possesses in abundance. And why someday soon FAN management will tell him to stay home altogether. Personally 15 minutes was too much. Will never bother again. There's nothing worthwhile to Francesa. 

Having to force the ball to a certified nutcase every game who only plays when he wants to is going to wear down any team. Beckham refused to drink water because he didnt like the taste. The Giants seem disjointed right now, but ownership having enough of Beckham shouldnt be shocking at all. He'll be out of Cleveland within 2 years.

On 3/13/2019 at 4:07 PM, Greenbloodblitz said:

Cuz he's a total cancer.. football is a team sport. And unfortunately the opinionated Fatman is correct in this instance. The modern 21 year old football fan only cares about FanDuel video games and haircuts. Nobody even knows what a good football player is anymore. It's all about highlight reels and fantasy football. Unfortunately we just sign Bell who is just as big of a self-centered ass clown

Winning NFL games in the modern era is about offense.  First downs,  yards per passing attempt, and turnover margin.

The player you just called an "ass-clown" is going to be the major catalyst in turning those numbers upside down for the Jets.   Le'Veon Bell moves the chains relentlessly.   He will put the team in more 3rd and short situations, relieving pressure off the quarterback.  And he is an 80% completion percentage option in the passing game. 

Nobody in Pittsburgh ever questioned his effort.  The business decision he made, and his rapping on the side, are not related to what he will do on the field. 

For those that don't believe in Bell, like me, OK... I get it.  Nothing I can say will change your mind about him.  But have a little faith in Sam Darnold to lead this team then... and the unique personalities on it.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...
14 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Mike is an icon and he’s personally responsible for the WFAN being in existence at all and pieces of sh*t like Michael Kay, LaGreca, Boomer, and Craig Carton who feel like they have any place to mock him are absolute ******* jokes. Boomer is a no-talent who couldn’t fill a thimble with interesting content and should be kissing Francesa’s rings. It’s fun to sh*t on Mike now because he’s clearly in decline, but the three months when Mike was retired really exposed how empty the rest of the field is in terms of interest or talent. Even a bad Francesa is 100% more interesting than the best of anyone else. 

Also, notice how quickly Boomer dove under his desk when Francesa started yelling and how he made Gio handle the interview. What an absolute pussy. 

Can we get some metrics on the gradient of this decline and in your opinion for how long the decline has been going on?

From my own point of view Mike has been insufferable for years because there is literally no subject on the face of the earth about which he does not have an opinion and once he has staked out a position he will go to great lengths, sometimes even absurd lengths, often twisting himself into a logical pretzel in order to avoid being seen to admit being wrong.

The decline is really quite severe and it has been going on for a long time.  

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, EM31 said:

Can we get some metrics on the gradient of this decline and in your opinion for how long the decline has been going on?

From my own point of view Mike has been insufferable for years because there is literally no subject on the face of the earth about which he does not have an opinion and once he has staked out a position he will go to great lengths, sometimes even absurd lengths, often twisting himself into a logical pretzel in order to avoid being seen to admit being wrong.

The decline is really quite severe and it has been going on for a long time.  

The decline started a year before Dog left and its gotten very bad since. Current day Francesa is belligerent and, now, disconnected. He’s burned a million bridges across the industry and he doesn’t get the guests he’s used to, so his show isn’t very good at all right now. He should have stayed retired. That said, even his crummy, angry show is better than Kay, LaGreca, and that rap guy whom nobody likes. The only good radio going on in NY is that Rothenberg and DiPietro show, except Canty sucks. 

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

The decline started a year before Dog left and its gotten very bad since. Current day Francesa is belligerent and, now, disconnected. He’s burned a million bridges across the industry and he doesn’t get the guests he’s used to, so his show isn’t very good at all right now. He should have stayed retired. That said, even his crummy, angry show is better than Kay, LaGreca, and that rap guy whom nobody likes. The only good radio going on in NY is that Rothenberg and DiPietro show, except Canty sucks. 

<chuckles>

OK so we are singing from the same hymnal in that case.  Your original observations were more of a commentary on the rest of the "talent".

Personally I am still a fan of the schmooze.  Me and Jerry Seinfeld apparently but he only gets the crumbs from the WFAN table at this point.

• Sympathy 1

6 minutes ago, EM31 said:

<chuckles>

OK so we are singing from the same hymnal in that case.  Your original observations were more of a commentary on the rest of the "talent".

Personally I am still a fan of the schmooze.  Me and Jerry Seinfeld apparently but he only gets the crumbs from the WFAN table at this point.

I love the Shmooze! 

I wasn’t trying to elevate Francesa so much as point out that the people going after him have no basis to do so. It reminds me of when Opie and Anthony would attack Stern, who created the job that O&A had. And I think O&A were infinitely more talented than any of these guys chopping at Francesa’s knees. 

• Upvote 2

39 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I love the Shmooze! 

I wasn’t trying to elevate Francesa so much as point out that the people going after him have no basis to do so. It reminds me of when Opie and Anthony would attack Stern, who created the job that O&A had. And I think O&A were infinitely more talented than any of these guys chopping at Francesa’s knees. 

We may not always agree with Francesa but he’s a very good broadcaster and much more knowledgeable than 90% of the hacks on ESPN, Fox Sports etc

I just snicker when a 7th rate Stern imitator like Craig Carton or cokehead Sid Rosenberg try to get into radio wars with him

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, BROOKLYN JET said:

Sean Avery was on with Boomer and Gio yesterday, it was better. He said Mike did not know anything about hockey, which Mike pretty much admits. The funny part was Sean saying why is this the Francesca network? LOL 

Nobody on wfan talks hockey except Boomer who is obsessed with the Islanders 

In the 90’s hockey was a huge deal on WFAN

• Haha 1

On 3/14/2019 at 2:31 PM, Bugg said:

Problem with this is every pro sports league now has a salary cap to artificially suppress player salaries. 

It's why the NBA is basically a soap opera until the conference finals.

It's why we just saw the Machado/Harper fiasco, of good players not getting contracts.

It's why I  as a NY Rangers fan have seen a Cup contender but 2 years ago  be dismantled because of the cap.

And why in the NFL and all sports the players believe rightly they have to fight foe every dime. Average career is less than 3 years, and they don't count PS time toward a pension nor health care vesting. NFL is also the only league that doesn't guarantee salaries. 

No North American pro sports franchise in the 4 major leagues has gone bankrupt since the NHL Cleveland Barons in 1976. The entire country has been homogenized and in some ways like taxes and cost of living big markets is no longer attractive. Why should any fan care about salaries? Do you care what an entertainer makes when you watch a movie or a concert? 

The owners did this to themselves.They made it all about salaries. If you make it all about money, don't be shocked if the players think it's all about money too. 

Image result for clap gif

Mike is an icon and he’s personally responsible for the WFAN being in existence at all and pieces of sh*t like Michael Kay, LaGreca, Boomer, and Craig Carton who feel like they have any place to mock him are absolute ******* jokes. Boomer is a no-talent who couldn’t fill a thimble with interesting content and should be kissing Francesa’s rings. It’s fun to sh*t on Mike now because he’s clearly in decline, but the three months when Mike was retired really exposed how empty the rest of the field is in terms of interest or talent. Even a bad Francesa is 100% more interesting than the best of anyone else. 

Also, notice how quickly Boomer dove under his desk when Francesa started yelling and how he made Gio handle the interview. What an absolute pussy. 

I couldn’t stand Mike for awhile due to his smugness and not giving a caller a chance to make or refute a point. Also he can be such a homer but he hasn’t been that bad since coming back.

To your point, Gio just wimped out it was pathetic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, EM31 said:

I call that entertaining radio. Mike Francesa's career has been nothing short of phenomenal - he basically invented a genre.

I enjoy the merits of his show about 100x more than I do a Mushnick column taking him to the woodshed on opinion inconsistencies. 

At this point it's basically rubbernecking a car crash but on the radio.  The guy is a pompous buffoon riding a reputation that was earned over 20 years ago and that he steadily stokes by never admitting he's wrong and hanging up on callers who confront him with facts.  But again, people slow down to look at car crashes.

• Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

In Boomers eyes, Mike = Bruce Smith so he dove under the desk LOL.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, shawn306 said:

He is basically turning into Pete Franklin who was the original evening drive host. That guy was complete ass.

It really is sad seeing him going down like this. Him an Dog were an iconic duo who fed off of each other really well.

I remember listening to Franklin as a kid and thinking he was intolerable. Then Mike and Chris took over and were far more "caller friendly." Mike has either grown into a complete a$$ or he does this for ratings (which makes him a bigger a$$), but now he cuts off callers after 2 words. 

Personally, I think this has turned into shtick. Even the call in to Boomer today was shtick. I don't think he is actually mad at Boomer/Gio, I just think it helps ratings. The Fan posted proudly posted the debate on their website. 

3 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Fat mike is the GOAT.