Houston to the Colts

IndianaJet

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Losmeister said:

to me it looks like they think they'll get their guy with the #3

There’s still time to get a pass rusher thru FA. If we do, trading back is still a possibility. If not then it’s pretty much written in stone we go Bosa/Allen. 

You guys are crazy 1st off the colts aren't a contender, thier team sucks and it's because luck has no help. Houston was probably not even offered a contract for obvious reasons ... Play, age etc. Let's not pretend Houston was their Messiah pass rusher...would have been nice sure but not some huge massive miss like say if we didn't sign the best off and def FA available.

I'm bummed but making up this story how Houston wanted to play on a winning team or contender...legit crazy.

Colts are garbage and just offered him more ?

1 hour ago, section314 said:

Probably, but you can't blame Houston. After literally being so close to going to the Super Bowl, the Colts make way more sense than we do right now.

I know everyone likes indianapolis but i think they take a step back next year.  I think teams will look at that KC game and come out with a totally different approach to Luck.  Who has been  a pretty good  QB but seems to be flinching at the rush now.  He was very jumpy against them.  Maybe the cold had something to do with it, but....

1 hour ago, k-met57 said:

not mad about it actually...Houston isnt the player he used to be and either 30 or 31...he doesnt fit with our timeline. We are 2-3 years away if we do everything right at which point he'd prob be over the hill (if he isnt already based on his numbers).

Neither he nor Ford made a dent in the Pats Line at home in the AFC championship game.  Tyreke was not much either.

I know I am tired of people blaming Macc for every player we do not sign.  How does anyone know what his level of involvement was?  Does anybody know wha t our scouts, coaches and other evaluators recommended?  People are just talking out of their assholes.  If i am committed to drafting a pass rusher, why do I go after Houston.  It is overkill, and it is overpayment.

I know I am tired of people blaming Macc for every player we do not sign.  How does anyone know what his level of involvement was?  Does anybody know wha t our scouts, coaches and other evaluators recommended?  People are just talking out of their assholes.  If i am committed to drafting a pass rusher, why do I go after Houston.  It is overkill, and it is overpayment.

It’s hilarious.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Unlike some other teams, Mac is not pushing the envelope so that the Jets compete this year while mortgaging their future as a result.  

He is putting a value on players and not overpaying.  

We can all question whether that is the right strategy.  I don't know if it is, to be quite honest.  One can argue that the future is now.  If Mac was trying to keep his job, he would have paid the premium to sign Paradis, Z. Smith, Houston, Myers and/or Roberts.  The Jets do have cap room.  

There may be a plan to trade down and accumulate lots of picks.  Maybe next year is the year they go for it and pay stupid/premium money.  After this year the contracts of Robby, Beachum, Shell, Winters (maybe), Leo and others expire.

My point is NOT that Mac is trying to win now and doing a bad job.  My point is that Mac does not appear to be attempting to win now.  I don't know if that means that there will be an effective strategy to winning later.  

2 hours ago, choon328 said:

I keep saying this over and over, Macc is a passive GM by nature and it is the worst type of GM to have with a young QB. $100 million to spend in FA and he gets a great ILB, a very good slot WR, a very good to great HB and trades for a very good Guard. Good start.

Then completely whiffs on a Center (Morse) over what reports say is $1 million per year. Whiffs on every good to great edge rusher available. Hasn't addressed the #2 CB spot in a meaningful way. Roberts is NOT a #2 on a good team. Three of the most glaring needs on the team and he fails to get a concrete solution. What his failure is doing is completely eliminating the remote possibility of a trade down bc of the ******* glaring hole at Edge Rusher that this idiot has failed to fill in any way shape or form since he became the GM. 

Yes, Anthony Barr screwed them over but the Jets knew he was tentative before he backed out. They should have been setting up contingency plans in case he backed out because of that. They were completely caught off guard and panicked. Absolutely panicked as other edge rusher options went to other teams with way less money. 

His passiveness will kill any hopes of a great team in the near future. He does not have the testicular fortitude to do what needs to be done to make this a great team. I wish he could get fired today and let anybody else run the damn team. It's embarrassing.

And one more thing. If he's not going to go all out to fill every need with a concrete solution, not a risky draft pick that fails way more than they succeed, then trade Leo and Lee and get an asset back before they leave for nothing. This guy is dumb.

Houston is a washed up vet. Silly post IMO. 

3 hours ago, jetscrazey said:

As far as I'm concerned, trading down is no longer an option for the Jets.  They need a big time pass rusher and simply have to draft either Bosa or Josh Allen, depending on how picks 1 and 2 go.

I agree. A bird in the hand is worth 3 on the street.

2 hours ago, choon328 said:

I keep saying this over and over, Macc is a passive GM by nature and it is the worst type of GM to have with a young QB. 

I stopped reading at this nonsense. Macc tried to pay cousins more than any other QB in history. He overpaid for leveon Bell. 

Houston is a nice player but you can't throw money around like there's no salary cap. 

Don't get me wrong, I would have liked Houston, but it's stupid to act like Macc has been passive this off-season.

Not the end of the world.  They're not getting 22 sack Justin Houston.  They are getting 9 sack, 37 tackle Justin Houston, who missed significant time three of the last four season.  With our needs and available funds, there was a reason he's not coming here. Remember the contract offered to Anthony Barr by the Jets.  Why not Houston?  Trust the process.

Incidentally, Jordan Jenkins had strikingly similar numbers to Justin Houston last season, while playing on a horrific defense.  He's not making anywhere near 12 million/season. Maybe the Jets thought the production wasn't worth the cost of the freight.  Just a thought.  

1 hour ago, jack48 said:

THIS

47 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

I stopped reading at this nonsense. Macc tried to pay cousins more than any other QB in history. He overpaid for leveon Bell. 

Houston is a nice player but you can't throw money around like there's no salary cap. 

Don't get me wrong, I would have liked Houston, but it's stupid to act like Macc has been passive this off-season.

Houston is a more important player than Bell

Macc sucks

11 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Houston is a more important player than Bell

Macc sucks

To someone who has no clue about the game or is a troll looking to stir the shlt.

Bell is 1000xs more important to Darnold than any player available.  Darnold is 10000xs more important than Houston.  

Bell wins or sets up wins.  Houston might play a full season.  Might

4 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

I prefer a much younger version of Houston available via the draft at #3. 

See...but that wasn't the only choice here.

Houston on a 2 yr deal was the PERFECT solution for the Jets this year...the contract wouldn't impede signing the new guys that need new deals in a few yrs and gives you flexibility going forward into the draft.  Personally, I thought the reason we didn't sign Houston was because he wanted more than 2 yrs on his deal...seeing he signed a 2 yr deal hurts.

You could sign Houston and still draft Bosa/Allen if you can't trade back...or, you can feel better about the pass rush having signed Houston, and then traded back to do what is imminently more important and fill out your offense as the D is being de-emphasized in the modern day NFL where winning games 10-7 is a thing of the past.

Signing Houston and/or drafting Bosa makes your whole D better...its amazing how much better CBs look when the opposing QB doesn't have all day in the pocket.  Not signing Houston, or another viable edge guy, makes drafting an edge guy almost a 'need' and limits your flexibility to fix the ultimate problem the NYJ have which is ON OFFENSE.  And we hired an OFFENSE oriented coach.  3 and outs SUCK and expose any and all faults on the D side of the ball.  Having the D hang their heads when they give up 13 points in a game because they know the O can't score 14 SUCKS.  Having a potential FQB and Leveon Bell while having multiple questions on O-line SUCKS. The WR's are borderline at best.

We had the money to spend on Houston on a short term, team salary cap non-killing deal and balked.  That was a mistake, IF Houston could have been bought for $.

When you're rebuilding, you need TIME...which is what the cap space we had was for to tide you over while you have a few good drafts, and to make good use of Darnold's 'cheap yrs'.

We're squandering that opportunity and praying that some college DP in his first year is going to reproduce what a Houston could've provided for $ while limiting our choices in the draft.

Not a fan.

Archived