Greg Gabriel: The hot name to the Jets at #3 - Ed Oliver

BCJet

• Replies 393
  • Created
  • Last Reply
47 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

There are all americans who get drafted in the 5-7th rds or even go undrafted. Oliver is a really good player. That isn't the question. The question is whether he is worth the risk at 3rd overall. 

Nope. If the Jets draft Ed Oliver at #3 I'll be shocked. Best case s scenario he is another Sheldon Richardson, and that's not worth the 3rd overall pick. I wouldn't draft him any higher than around the middle of the 1st round. 

1 hour ago, BCJet said:

I did watch, and I'm not sure how all these guys I listed are less qualified then you and me, but when I watched (and I watched Williams first and Oliver second) was a player in Q who started in a stance back on his heels, read the center or guard and was still able to use his quickness to make a play or create chaos.  With Oliver I saw similar domination, but every single play he simply used his quickness to go straight forward, thats it.  I have no idea which style will translate more in the pros but it seems to be Q had a better feel for the position to go along with a 305lb frame to be a dominant DT.  Oliver, in my opinion will need to be put in favorable situations as he is such a hybrid.  

You watched Brett Kollman’s breakdown of Quinnen Williams. Starting on your heels has never been a positive thing for a DT.

6 minutes ago, WayneChrebet80 said:

Oliver is a similar prospect to Coples. Great athlete without sack production. 

Coples was actually pretty good until Rex tried to make him a linebacker and then Todd “the idiot” Bowles ended him

3 hours ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

What do your feelings tell you? Or we could try this another way.

Accolades are historic. Three years out of high school, three first team all America selections. Outland trophy as a true sophomore DL.

Production is historic. More tackles for loss than anybody else who played three seasons or fewer.

Athleticism is historic. 99 sparq, all the benchmarks on all the Waldo derivatives.

People are comparing him to the other guys in this class based on word vomit. How about a fact-based argument in favor of anybody ever? The names this is gonna produce are a sh*t ton more impressive than Quinnen ******* Williams. 

Yeah, let's punish Quinnen Williams for playing behind Daron Payne last year. 

Again, I really like Oliver. No idea why some of you get so sensitive because some people like other players marginally better than the players you love. Get over it. 

Please look at this video from his pro day. His bend and quickness around the edge might be the best I’ve ever seen. Guy is a freak.

He was double teamed on every down playing at houston. This dude is the most explosive player in the draft.

I'd pass but what do I know.  fwiw  here's a profile to consider.

Ed Oliver DL Houston

by Drew Boylhart • January 6, 2019

STRENGTHS
Ed has the explosion off the line of scrimmage to be a dominant defensive lineman for the team that selects him. He has the size to be stout against the run and the quickness to split the double team and get into the backfield and disrupt the rhythm of an offense. Ed has played mostly on the nose for his college team but he could play multiple defensive line positions because of his quickness and explosion off the line. He plays with good effort and will work hard until he hears the whistle to make a sack. Ed has the ability to push the pocket on third down and if your team plays a one gap attack defense or running the 46 Defense, Ed is a perfect fit for sure.

CONCERNS
Ed has had a knee issue that muddied up his playing time this year so that will have to be checked out. Also, he had problems with his coach and although his coach got fired and I don’t know the whole story…this is an issue that teams need to investigate.

TALENT BOARD ROUND 2.02 
I have said for years that it takes more than talent to play in the NFL. Ed has the talent; the question is does he have more than talent? Having an altercation with his head coach over a freaking jacket is an issue that for me and stands out as a red flag. What happens when he is selected and doesn’t like his position coach or like the defense he is in? Seems to me that Ed has more respect for his teammates (if he likes them) than he does his coaches. Now I haven’t got a clue what Ed is like, but for me actions have always spoke louder than words. Ed on the field is a show man but as far as doing the grunt work required of a defensive tackle, that is when Ed seems to lack the consistency and interest in doing his job. When Ed is double team and can’t hit the gap quick enough he settles for being handled. That being said…in the right defensive system and with a coach that he likes and can get along with Ed can become very productive. My problem is how many teams have the right system and how do I know for sure that Ed will like his coaches? As an owner spending 1st round money on a player who has shown his dislike and lack of respect on the field, during a game, in front of a whole stadium, to his coach, that is a problem for me no matter how talented he is. It’s a problem for me even if his coach deserves it and is a total jerk. Making excuses for Ed’s lack of maturity is exactly why teams blow the 1st round pick. I think Ed, only fits a certain system and that to me means selecting him too early would not be smart at all. Then again, I have never been accused of being smart. Remember you draft with the information on draft day you have in front of you and that’s all you can do. After that it’s up to the player to succeed. My information SUGGEST that Ed’s talent might not be worth the headaches he might be in the future and there are other options in this draft. Ed has 1st round talent with potential 4th round headaches and that equals 2nd round selection for me.

8 hours ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

Who? One name. If you need an entire side of the ball as odds against Oliver, aren't you sort of conceding the point? And note to everybody it is still far from a sure thing he makes it to 3.

Im using an entire side of the ball as odds against the other entire side of the ball.

It's not an "Oliver" thing, it's a constant drafting of defense in the 1st round thing. That's why my criticism wasnt about Oliver specifically, but the side of the ball he plays on. 

Oliver IMO is better than Q Williams. But we dont need a DT we need offensive line and offensive talent to add with our franchise guy. 

you know... up until last season, Ed Oliver was billed as the defacto #1 overall prospect for 2019... as far back as 2017 or so

If things played out in such a manner that we landed Sam Darnold in 2018, and Ed Oliver in 2019... thats possibly landing back to back best overall player type stuff.

Rumors have teams trading all the way up to 2 for Oliver. Just about every team in the first round has been linked to this guy and even the Cardinals had him in for a visit. Most in the top 10 have been linked to picking him and most outside the top 10 have been linked to trading up for him. He is literally the hottest name in the draft right now it seems.

11 hours ago, Jetscode1 said:

Ed has had a knee issue that muddied up his playing time this year so that will have to be checked out. Also, he had problems with his coach and although his coach got fired and I don’t know the whole story…this is an issue that teams need to investigate.

This is the incisive commentary that’s crucial to becoming a draft expert professional journalist 

11 hours ago, Drums said:

Got a little Kris Jenkins feel from watching those highlights. 

You do know that Jenkins weighed 360 and Oliver is like a ballerina at 290 compared to him.  Jenkins' game was all about overpowering the guy in front of him.  He didn't shoot gaps (he wasn't fast), he created them. 

From a build and style perspective, I'd say John Randle is a much better comp.  

4 minutes ago, nycdan said:

You do know that Jenkins weighed 360 and Oliver is like a ballerina at 290 compared to him.  Jenkins' game was all about overpowering the guy in front of him.  He didn't shoot gaps (he wasn't fast), he created them. 

From a build and style perspective, I'd say John Randle is a much better comp.  

Yeah Jenkins was much bigger but the way they both throw people around, just got that feeling. Knew it wasn't the most accurate comparison but that's okay.

9 minutes ago, RSJ said:

Rumors have teams trading all the way up to 2 for Oliver. Just about every team in the first round has been linked to this guy and even the Cardinals had him in for a visit. Most in the top 10 have been linked to picking him and most outside the top 10 have been linked to trading up for him. He is literally the hottest name in the draft right now it seems.

Oliver going top 2 is probably the best thing that could happen IMO. That way I can complain in peace about the Williams pick without having to listen to the incessant rimjobbing over Oliver’s fast twitch muscles. 

2 minutes ago, Drums said:

Yeah Jenkins was much bigger but the way they both throw people around, just got that feeling. Knew it wasn't the most accurate comparison but that's okay.

I get it.  But at 290, Oliver isn't going to be throwing NFL OL around.  His upside is Randle/Donald style of play.  Penetration and then once there's a line to the QB, closing speed.  Very, very few DTs can literally toss OL around like Jenkins did in the pros.  He was a rare cat and if his knees held up, I think he would have been an all-time great.

7 minutes ago, nycdan said:

I get it.  But at 290, Oliver isn't going to be throwing NFL OL around.  His upside is Randle/Donald style of play.  Penetration and then once there's a line to the QB, closing speed.  Very, very few DTs can literally toss OL around like Jenkins did in the pros.  He was a rare cat and if his knees held up, I think he would have been an all-time great.

I’ll take that, especially if we can trade down a few spots and still grab him. 

Archived