Is Edoga a potential year 1 starter?

2 hours ago, TheClashFan said:

I nominate this for POST OF THE YEAR!

If the kid becomes a starter, I'm taking my gal Janie Jones out on the town, and we're gonna Rock the Casbah! I think he might have The Right Profile to fit in the OL.  I've read he has a technique called the Tommy Gunn where he clubs the opposing DE down. If he flops, though, he best get out of NY and find some Safe European Home to hide in and learn Something About England.   The Jets have been Cheapskates for too long on the OL.  Its Armageddon Time.   Lets Revolution Rock    Time is Tight.  Time to build it up!

32 minutes ago, AL047 said:

I don't see him starting at tackle because of his size (6 foot 3), he fits more at the guard position. He can replace Winters next year,

He's taller and longer than Beachum who has been a starting tackle for 7 years now. 

• Sympathy 1

16 hours ago, HawkeyeJet said:

So help me out.  I don't know much about the guy.  From what I've read the general consensus is that he is a pretty skilled player butb has work ethic and character concerns.

For those that know more about him, strictly from on-field standpoint, is it realistic that he could start at RT this year and push one of Shell or Winters to the bench?

I was super drunk last nite and missed this discussion that likely already took place

I think there's a chance he takes RG from Winters, provided Shell is good to go as indicated. 

16 hours ago, HawkeyeJet said:

So help me out.  I don't know much about the guy.  From what I've read the general consensus is that he is a pretty skilled player butb has work ethic and character concerns.

For those that know more about him, strictly from on-field standpoint, is it realistic that he could start at RT this year and push one of Shell or Winters to the bench?

I was super drunk last nite and missed this discussion that likely already took place

One guy said he had the second best feet of any OT in the draft, and he had a great Wonderlic score.  then he said he would never draft the guy because he was a *&^%$#@ (no word provided.  Go figure.  I think this is similar to Polite's description

6 minutes ago, jack48 said:

One evaluator said he had the second best feet of any OT in the draft, and he had a great Wonderlic score.  then he said he would never draft the guy because he was a *&^%$#@ (no word provided).  Go figure.  I think this is similar to Polite's description

4 minutes ago, jack48 said:

One guy said he had the second best feet of any OT in the draft, and he had a great Wonderlic score.  then he said he would never draft the guy because he was a *&^%$#@ (no word provided.  Go figure.  I think this is similar to Polite's description

If this is the case,  Rex Ryan surely loves this pick.....  The "character issue" seems way overblown.  The kid lost his father. He was murdered in front of him.  Don't know how I'd react if that happened to me.  I can assure you it wouldn't have been pretty.  Smoked some weed and pushed an official?  Big deal.  He's not beating up women or breaking children's arms.  I'm rooting for him.  Both of them.

Jets are underdogs.  Jet Fans are underdogs.  These two are underdogs.  They're one of us.  Bring it on.

• Upvote 3

17 hours ago, Lith said:

Seems to me that his character concerns are way overblown.  He failed a drug test in 2015, and contacted an official early in 2016 season leading to a 1 game suspension.  No issues that I am aware of since 2016.  Sometimes young guys grow up.  He was also recognized as a top practice player at the Sr Bowl.  

Has anyone heard of any other character issues since early in his sophmore season, because I have not been able to find anything online.

I thought he briefly quit the team at some point?

• Upvote 1

I dont think its wise to move these guys around too much.  Id rather we look at Compton as an emergency RT if Shell isnt ready (Shell participated a little at OTAs so he seems on schedule) as Compton is a veteran.

Ugoba will have a hard enough time adjusting to the NFL that Id rather see him work exclusively at LT this season and see if he can take over for Beachem in 2020 and then if we want to resign Bechem then Ugoba can be the swing tackle in 2020.

16 hours ago, TheClashFan said:

I nominate this for POST OF THE YEAR!

If the kid becomes a starter, I'm taking my gal Janie Jones out on the town, and we're gonna Rock the Casbah! I think he might have The Right Profile to fit in the OL.  I've read he has a technique called the Tommy Gunn where he clubs the opposing DE down. If he flops, though, he best get out of NY and find some Safe European Home to hide in. The Jets have been Cheapskates for too long on the OL.  Time to build it up!

London Calling is the greatest album of all time

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, peebag said:

London Calling is the greatest album of all time

My personal #1 is Never Mind the Bullocks Here's the Sex Pistols b/c hearing that transformed my musical tastes.  London Calling and The Clash's first album are way up there, too.  Many would go for Sgt. Pepper's, or Exile on Main Street, or any number of other great albums.

My wife was watching some TV show on Hulu (or maybe Netflix) today, and I heard Should I Stay or Should I Go in the background.

I wonder if Edoga is a fan?

1 hour ago, 32EBoozer said:

Let me guess! This time last year 1st round pick #3

No, just a visitor here when it happened.  Never claimed to be a Jets fan.  Basically stopped by because I was completely shocked Jets fans weren’t booing and acting like jerks when Sam was announced as your pick.  ??

I don’t “commit” to fandom over one player...too many Trojans all over the NFL that I live over too many years.  Just counting my all time favorites, I could have been a 49er, Steeler, or Chargers fan.  Luckily, even I wasn't Stupid enough to consider the Bengals, Patriots or Raiders (Anthony Munoz, Marcus Allen, Willie McGinest).  

I. waited a year to be sure!  

Thanks for noting the avatar change though, considering I gave a Buckeye/Steelers fan friend my autographed copy of a SI with Troy Polamalu in a Steelers uniform.  My Woman Cave is all Cardinal & Gold only, all the greats out of USC are in their college uniforms.  That’s about to change.

32 minutes ago, Lith said:

I believe he considered transferring, but I am not aware that he ever quit the team.  Might have, but I had not heard that.

No he didn’t, you’re correct.  Considering all the crap some of these kids pull across the country, particularly in those football factory regions, his stuff is mild - and he worked to change things.

L.A. Isn’t a college town, every move is watched, everything reported.  USC and UCLA don’t own the press, and the coaches especially don’t own the press, they have to deal with them.  Reason coaches like Saban  or Meyer would hate it here, and wouldn’t last a second.

1 hour ago, BCJet said:

I dont think its wise to move these guys around too much.  Id rather we look at Compton as an emergency RT if Shell isnt ready (Shell participated a little at OTAs so he seems on schedule) as Compton is a veteran.

Ugoba will have a hard enough time adjusting to the NFL that Id rather see him work exclusively at LT this season and see if he can take over for Beachem in 2020 and then if we want to resign Bechem then Ugoba can be the swing tackle in 2020.

Who the hell is Ugoba?

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, HelenOfTroy said:

No, just a visitor here when it happened.  Never claimed to be a Jets fan.  Basically stopped by because I was completely shocked Jets fans weren’t booing and acting like jerks when Sam was announced as your pick.  ??

I don’t “commit” to fandom over one player...too many Trojans all over the NFL that I live over too many years.  Just counting my all time favorites, I could have been a 49er, Steeler, or Chargers fan.  Luckily, even I wasn't Stupid enough to consider the Bengals, Patriots or Raiders (Anthony Munoz, Marcus Allen, Willie McGinest).  

I. waited a year to be sure!  

Thanks for noting the avatar change though, considering I gave a Buckeye/Steelers fan friend my autographed copy of a SI with Troy Polamalu in a Steelers uniform.  My Woman Cave is all Cardinal & Gold only, all the greats out of USC are in their college uniforms.  That’s about to change.

Wow! That’s a great story. You often don’t find people becoming fans of a certain team in their adult years. It’s usually in childhood when favorite teams are established. Welcome aboard and looking forward to watching your Sammy develop into one of the greats. Hoping That this organization and fans can support him in the best possible way to help him achieve his every goal.

• Sympathy 1

My personal #1 is Never Mind the Bullocks Here's the Sex Pistols b/c hearing that transformed my musical tastes.  London Calling and The Clash's first album are way up there, too.  Many would go for Sgt. Pepper's, or Exile on Main Street, or any number of other great albums.
My wife was watching some TV show on Hulu (or maybe Netflix) today, and I heard Should I Stay or Should I Go in the background.
I wonder if Edoga is a fan?

Agreed about Never Mind the Bullocks. All the early Clash stuff is great too. Was in school in NYC when the Ramones made the scene so big Ramones fan too. Also NY Dolls and Johnny Thunders.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

2 hours ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

If this is the case,  Rex Ryan surely loves this pick.....  The "character issue" seems way overblown.  The kid lost his father. He was murdered in front of him.  Don't know how I'd react if that happened to me.  I can assure you it wouldn't have been pretty.  Smoked some weed and pushed an official?  Big deal.  He's not beating up women or breaking children's arms.  I'm rooting for him.  Both of them.

Jets are underdogs.  Jet Fans are underdogs.  These two are underdogs.  They're one of us.  Bring it on.

neither of these guys seems to have any criminal background to speak of.   Just problem children.  Some great players have been problem children

3 hours ago, jack48 said:

With so many Trojans on the Jets we should have an excellent perspective on his character.

• Upvote 1

On 4/27/2019 at 10:48 PM, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

Jonothan Harrison will be our center this year.  And he will also do fine.  Gase thinks so.  Evidently the coaching staff thinks so too.  Despite what many here believe, they know better than we do.  The offensive line will be a pleasant surprise this year.  Relax.

I often agree with the majority of what you post. I do need to split from you on this one, though. I hope to God you're right, but although the bolded statement should absolutely be true, I've clung to it too many times only to be proved completely wrong. Unfortunately, our recent and not so recent history has shown a pattern of well informed fans on this board having much better incite and decisions than our front office. It's a hard pill to swallow, I know.