Q. Williams vs Allen: quote from SNY article

1 hour ago, bitonti said:

But Josh Allen wasn't the second edge off the board

Clelin Ferrell went 4th. This should be a Ferrell discussion tbh. Josh Allen's falling proves he wasn't ever worth 3.  

It's like yeah I like Ed Oliver but he went 9th 

the jets got arguably the #1 prospect in the draft at #3

if Williams was gone we could talk about Allen/Oliver/Ferrell etc. 

No one cares about WHERE a player went 2-3 years from now.  They only care who the best guys were.  If Allen or Oliver turn out awesome, why can't we argue in hindsight that one of those should have been the pick?  Why is the critique dependent on what other teams' boards looked like?

22 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

No one cares about WHERE a player went 2-3 years from now.  They only care who the best guys were.  If Allen or Oliver turn out awesome, why can't we argue in hindsight that one of those should have been the pick?  Why is the critique dependent on what other teams' boards looked like?

Ok but the only new information we have between the scouting process and the minicamps etc is where they were drafted

the fact that Allen would have gone 4 picks later and Oliver would have gone 6 picks later means they were not quite rated as blue chip prospects by the rest of the league 

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

With Henry signed for $10mm, two of last year’s draft picks and McClendon already on the roster and Leo capable of being franchised next year, to me the Jets were “set” on DL for 2019 and 2020.   They just needed to find someone to play EDGE and rush the passer from the outside.   

Bosa and Ferrell could have done it in a three point, or Allen and Polite could have done it in a two point.  

Mac chose Quinnen, the “best” player on the Board.   That could be true-people said the same thing about Leo.  That led to taking a chance on Polite and picking at least one less OL than I would have taken in this draft.  

In the first round I am not buying long term development necessarily.   In 6 months or so we will know if Mac got it right or wrong with the Jet’s 2019 construction overall.  

But I am having a hard time seeing both Leo and Henry on the team next year.  That is a lot of money.

• Upvote 1

Just now, varjet said:

But I am having a hard time seeing both Leo and Henry on the team next year.  That is a lot of money.

it's basically a two year deal for Anderson this year and next 

Leonard Williams if they give him a long term deal, it hits the cap for nothing next year etc.  they spread that hit over years

6 hours ago, bitonti said:

Ok but the only new information we have between the scouting process and the minicamps etc is where they were drafted

the fact that Allen would have gone 4 picks later and Oliver would have gone 6 picks later means they were not quite rated as blue chip prospects by the rest of the league 

Except it is entirely faulty logic, because had the Jets chosen differently, they would have gone #3 and we have no idea how much further Quinnen would've fallen.  For all we know, he would've gone even later than either of them.  Meanwhile, all we repeatedly hear from the Maccpologists is that he was supposedly the "best" in the entire draft, despite not going #1 overall, so what gives there?  Now the 2 picks before the Jets mean nothing, but the 3 after them mean everything?

7 hours ago, bitonti said:

How does it prove where Arizona or New England ,for example, had them rated?

• 7 months later...
On 5/3/2019 at 11:43 AM, nico002 said:

Williams + Polite >>>>>>> Allen + 3rd round DT

what's funny about posts like this -- is nico002 three months prior is posting:

"You gotta be kidding me, Allen all day. Not another Fat linemen..."

And then you wonder why i come at some you for not knowing what you're talking about. 

• Upvote 2

On 5/3/2019 at 2:34 PM, Beerfish said:

Gee that is almost like takeing Leo Williams when you have mo wilk and shel rich.

Which of our guys are going to be playing olb by mid season i wonder?  Well none, but one of them will be a friggin space eating nose tackle.  Most likely the new guy.  Just stand in the middle and take up space and double teams.

We took Q because we didn't want to pay Leo.

56 minutes ago, Paradis said:

You've got to troll better than this, son. 

How the hell do you know that the previous GM, drafted QW, knowing that Leo would be traded, or leave as an UFA, at the end of the year. You might not have liked the previous GM. To suggest that he didn't know which one of his players on the roster could leave via free agency is beyond ridiculous. If thats the case,, drafting QW, makes a ot more sense. Doesn't it.

15 minutes ago, BurnleyJet said:

Wow some embarrassingly bad hot takes in this thread. I won’t quote folks. 

Funny moving forward May to Dec/Jan Nathan Shepard is arguably a better D.T than the 3rd overall pick in the draft, the pass rushing Demon that’s Quinnen Williams..

15 minutes ago, BurnleyJet said:

Wow some embarrassingly bad hot takes in this thread. I won’t quote folks. 

Funny moving forward May to Dec/Jan Nathan Shepard is arguably a better D.T than the 3rd overall pick in the draft, the pass rushing Demon that’s Quinnen Williams..

We had the 7th ranked defense in the league. You really think Burgess and hewitt are that good. Their success is directly tied to the work that our DT's put in. Including QW.

I’m not a big X and O’s guy so don’t fry me here but all the analytics on Quinnen suggest he’s meant to be a 4-3 3 technique. Why would we draft someone that high, and then not switch the defense to a 4-3!? Granted our defense was pretty damn good this year but still I don’t get it 

5 minutes ago, SR24 said:

I’m not a big X and O’s guy so don’t fry me here but all the analytics on Quinnen suggest he’s meant to be a 4-3 3 technique. Why would we draft someone that high, and then not switch the defense to a 4-3!? Granted our defense was pretty damn good this year but still I don’t get it 

Gregg Williams would like to run more 4-3 defenses. We don't have the outside players yet to do it. Lets hope we get at least one outside player who is more than a jag and sub jag.

18 minutes ago, SR24 said:

Those type of things were never in consideration when the Idiot Fraud was somehow made GM...whoever the Consensus player was in the 1st Rd, ESPN might have even been his source, who knows...that’s who he was taking.  Why?  To protect his job.

1 hour ago, genot said:

How the hell do you know that the previous GM, drafted QW, knowing that Leo would be traded, or leave as an UFA, at the end of the year. You might not have liked the previous GM. To suggest that he didn't know which one of his players on the roster could leave via free agency is beyond ridiculous. If thats the case,, drafting QW, makes a ot more sense. Doesn't it.

I've seen people throw all kinds of things at the wall re: QW to see what sticks... but no one's been crazy enough to suggest he was selected purely to replace Leo.

that's the mind of a madman

• Upvote 1

On 3/27/2019 at 10:27 AM, Philc1 said:

He definitely can be a Warren Sapp or Aaron Donald type of interior disruptor

QW also has 0.0 bust factor.  As much as I like Allen and Bosa both could flop in the nfl

This one has a special place in my heart. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

43 minutes ago, JoeWillieWhiteShoesHOF said:

Those type of things were never in consideration when the Idiot Fraud was somehow made GM...whoever the Consensus player was in the 1st Rd, ESPN might have even been his source, who knows...that’s who he was taking.  Why?  To protect his job.

The only idiots, are the ones forming a judgement about a rookie DT. the same idiots who said Shepard was a bust last year. Shepard, clearly took a big leap foward this year.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Paradis said:

I've seen people throw all kinds of things at the wall re: QW to see what sticks... but no one's been crazy enough to suggest he was selective purely to replace Leo.

that's the mind of a madman

They weren't going to keep both. If not traded, he plays out the year, and is allowed to sign somewhere else. Josh Allen must have been very tempting. leo's future with the team was the main reason why we drafted Q. In my opinion. i could be wrong. i've been wrong before.

4 minutes ago, genot said:

The only idiots, are the ones forming a judgement about a rookie DT. the same idiots who said Shepard was a bust last year. Shepard, clearly took a big leap foward this year.

3rd overall pick in the draft vs 3rd round pick.  Not much difference there.  I'm sure Quinnen will take a big step next year and get 3 sacks and 10 pressures, if he does not get hurt.

5 minutes ago, genot said:

A big leap?   He played in 6 games and had 6 solo tackles and 11 total tackles.  I know the bar was low but saying he made a “big leap” is a little comical.