Ryan Kalil coming out of retirement!

9 hours ago, jetscrazey said:

First we have to see if he still has it.  If he does, this will be a great signing.

At the very least, we are forcing Harrison to win the job against an established vet.  IF Harrison is the getter player in camp, he starts, Kalil does not get whatever incentives are in his contract which means he woudl be paid much less than the reported $8.4MM.  

I think Kalil is being brought in to start, but I have been saying all spring that I did not think Harrison did enough to just be handed the job.  Now, he has a chance to legitmately win the job by beating out a fomrer All Pro.  A no lose situation for the Jets.  Either we upgrade the position with Kalil which I think is most likely, or Harrison wins it and and we have experienced depth behind him.  

48 minutes ago, BroadwayRay said:

After the signing, I checked a Panthers fan board to get a feel for how they viewed  his play last year. It was not good. Then I did my annual sign-up-for PFF Edge for $10 thing, and I saw that Kalil was ranked 16th out of all centers last year with a score of 63.6. By comparison, Harrison was ranked 30th with a score of 54.1 (Spencer Long came in 37th with a 45.4).

So Kalil was an average center last year, playing a full season after a pretty bad injury, and he replaces centers that were simply bad last year.

This is a great move. We didn't give up any draft picks. It's a one-year incentivized contract, so no damage to the cap. The only down side is he's 34 years old, but it's quite possible he ups his game from last year, when he might have still been feeling the effects of the prior year's injuries.

Yup. Harrison is a below average to borderline starter. Getting an average center is an upgrade.

Almost as important is that now we also have an above average backup iOL in Harrison. Our OL depth looks better now. 

1 hour ago, Charlie Brown said:

Some folks act like yes he could!!

Thank You and....

NO HE COULD NOT!!

The Jets had to get what Paridis (misspelling his name, I know) and wouldn’t pony up the $$$$ to get him for us at Center when we knew we let Long just walk away!!

Now folks act like MacCagnan was somehow abused by being dismissed!   He was not. 

He made no substantive moves other than to move up to 3 which netted us Sam Darnold. Even that move was suspect when you realize we could have drafted Mahomes the year before.  And many on this board were BEGGING the Jets to do just that and if not him then Watson.  Under that scenario you would have more picks to address the Jets ongoing deficiencies!!!

So NO Mac Couldn’t Have Done This!!

To be fair Paradis didn’t want to come here.  Didn’t like going to a big city like NY.  Look I’m not defending Macc.  I agree he ignored the oline far too long, made some terrible signings like Trumaine Johnson, and most of his mid round picks were misses  However to be fair he did some good things and added some important pieces we have now. Obviously I’m very happy to have Douglas because his background is impressive from where he came from.  

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Lith said:

At the very least, we are forcing Harrison to win the job against an established vet.  IF Harrison is the getter player in camp, he starts, Kalil does not get whatever incentives are in his contract which means he woudl be paid much less than the reported $8.4MM.  

I think Kalil is being brought in to start, but I have been saying all spring that I did not think Harrison did enough to just be handed the job.  Now, he has a chance to legitmately win the job by beating out a fomrer All Pro.  A no lose situation for the Jets.  Either we upgrade the position with Kalil which I think is most likely, or Harrison wins it and and we have experienced depth behind him.  

I must have missed it.  The $8.4M is incentives?   Do you know the terms of the contract? That's a whole different deal if the $8.4M isn't guaranteed.  

1 hour ago, BroadwayRay said:

After the signing, I checked a Panthers fan board to get a feel for how they viewed  his play last year. It was not good. Then I did my annual sign-up-for PFF Edge for $10 thing, and I saw that Kalil was ranked 16th out of all centers last year with a score of 63.6. By comparison, Harrison was ranked 30th with a score of 54.1 (Spencer Long came in 37th with a 45.4).

So Kalil was an average center last year, playing a full season after a pretty bad injury, and he replaces centers that were simply bad last year.

This is a great move. We didn't give up any draft picks. It's a one-year incentivized contract, so no damage to the cap. The only down side is he's 34 years old, but it's quite possible he ups his game from last year, when he might have still been feeling the effects of the prior year's injuries.

An average center with Kalil's experience is a HUGE upgrade over what we had  last year and what we currently have in camp.  

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, BroadwayRay said:

And tell me this...who holds the ball longer than Cam Newton?

• Upvote 3

An important thing about this signing is that Kalil WANTED to be here because of Sam.    After this year I bet a lot of FA are gonna want to be here because wer are gonna be better and we have a young QB who has a enormous ceiling.  We wont have guys like Barr(who never wanted to be here) screwing us over anymore.  

• Upvote 2

39 minutes ago, flgreen said:

I must have missed it.  The $8.4M is incentives?   Do you know the terms of the contract? That's a whole different deal if the $8.4M isn't guaranteed.  

It ws reported yesterday that it was an incentive laden $8.4MM deal.  Have not seen any detail on the incentives.  

Typical Manish.  Tweets about an incentive laden deal with a link to an article; but no mention at all of incentives in the article.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, 7561526667 said:

If Khalil passes his physical today, his coming on board reminds me of when Alan Faneca signed with the Jets. 32 years old at the time, while Faneca wasn't as dominant as he was with the Steelers, he was good enough to bring great value to the team.

Maybe Faneca's biggest contribution was playing between D'Brick and Mangold, as he was a great veteran presence for those two guys in particular, and that offense in general.

I can definitely see Khalil bringing that same type of impact and influence to this Jets squad.

Right--even if Kalil's play is average between the snap and whistle he brings a lot of expertise leading an OL and can operate as a great mentor to the entire line and Darnold. Even an average C is a substantial upgrade over last season.

1 hour ago, Lith said:

If Harrison is the better man in pre-season, he absolutely should start. That said, if Kalil loses a camp battle, he may not be depth. Could see him re-retiring if he has no chance to hit incentives. Of course, odds of Harrison winning the job are minuscule.

58 minutes ago, chrisfaceoff said:

I just want to say, 10 pages and over 300 replies about a center acquisition.  

I seriously love this forum and how active it is with so many dedicated people.

Shout out all of us!

No other site, which I've been to, does anywhere near the volume we do here. Most other sport boards have a few active threads and a trickle of posts.

• Upvote 2

14 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

What?  In his two seasons?

what does that even mean?  Has nothing to do with it

dude, this is the Kalil thread.  Why you arguing with someone about Jamal Adams in THIS thread?  Can't you control yourself?  You ALWAYS take the bait and divert threads to tangential topics.  It's really annoying.  You do it in almost every thread that you get into arguments. (Which is almost always).  

Stick to the thread topic.  Pretty Please.  

• Thumb Down 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Jetster said:

And tell me this...who holds the ball longer than Cam Newton?

And who fails to compete for a loose ball in the closing moments of the SuperBowl and then bails out of the post game like a whipped bitch??

https://youtu.be/CmFegiqVXKE?t=183

http://sportstills.blogspot.com/2019/08/crunch-time-bail-out-scam-newton-shows.html

1 hour ago, Jets723 said:

To be fair Paradis didn’t want to come here.  Didn’t like going to a big city like NY.  Look I’m not defending Macc.  I agree he ignored the oline far too long, made some terrible signings like Trumaine Johnson, and most of his mid round picks were misses  However to be fair he did some good things and added some important pieces we have now. Obviously I’m very happy to have Douglas because his background is impressive from where he came from.  

It's hilarious that grown men have to apologize for defending someone, for fear of not being accepted at club Jet Nation. Trumaine Johnson was misused by a terrible coach, who had him playing coverages he never played before, and took away from his skill set.

42 minutes ago, 7561526667 said:

If Khalil passes his physical today, his coming on board reminds me of when Alan Faneca signed with the Jets. 32 years old at the time, while Faneca wasn't as dominant as he was with the Steelers, he was good enough to bring great value to the team.

Maybe Faneca's biggest contribution was playing between D'Brick and Mangold, as he was a great veteran presence for those two guys in particular, and that offense in general.

I can definitely see Khalil bringing that same type of impact and influence to this Jets squad.

Yup and that veteran experience (from a former pro bowler) is even more important at Center where he is charged with calling the right protections. 

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, 7561526667 said:

Nothing to do with anything but have you seen any pictures of Faneca after he retired?  Lost more than 100 lbs and is running marathons.

6_5533265.jpg

• Upvote 2
  • WTF? 1

Let’s see what Kalil has been doing the last 7 months.   As we have seen, NFL players, particularly linemen, get out of shape pretty rapidly if they stop working out.

If Kalil has been training like an athlete in 2019, just waiting for someone to offer him $8mm, this could be a good move.  

If he has been watching TV and is now going to strap on a helmet, this will not workout.  

But yes, Mac really left this team in bad shape coming out FA and the draft.  Everyone was  assuming Harrison and Toth were going to get the job done, but obviously there was $8mm of doubts.

I did think there were backups on the Packers and Steelers that could also shake loose.  I would have preferred that, even for a draft pick, than Kalil.  But I am hopeful.  

10 minutes ago, genot said:

It's hilarious that grown men have to apologize for defending someone, for fear of not being accepted at club Jet Nation. Trumaine Johnson was misused by a terrible coach, who had him playing coverages he never played before, and took away from his skill set.

I'm not apologizing.  Honestly I could give two sh%ts lol.  Im not afraid to give unpopular people credit for things they do well.  As for Trumaine I do expect a bounce back year.  I do think he was terrible last year and he needs to take ownership of that despite Todd Bowles.

5 minutes ago, varjet said:

Let’s see what Kalil has been doing the last 7 months.   As we have seen, NFL players, particularly linemen, get out of shape pretty rapidly if they stop working out.

If Kalil has been training like an athlete in 2019, just waiting for someone to offer him $8mm, this could be a good move.  

If he has been watching TV and is now going to strap on a helmet, this will not workout.  

But yes, Mac really left this team in bad shape coming out FA and the draft.  Everyone was  assuming Harrison and Toth were going to get the job done, but obviously there was $8mm of doubts.

I did think there were backups on the Packers and Steelers that could also shake loose.  I would have preferred that, even for a draft pick, than Kalil.  But I am hopeful.  

Im thinking they have been in contact with Kalil for a while now.  If he looked out of shape I doubt they would give him decent money to come back no matter how desperate they were.  I have a feeling Douglas has been looking at Kalil since he got hired

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Jets723 said:

I'm not apologizing.  Honestly I could give two sh%ts lol.  Im not afraid to give unpopular people credit for things they do well.  As for Trumaine I do expect a bounce back year.  I do think he was terrible last year and he needs to take ownership of that despite Todd Bowles.

Neither do i. Same people who are bashing Mac on a continuous basis are getting hard ons waiting for the season to start, anticipating a big jump in performance with a team that was built entirely by the guy who got canned. TJ looked lost. They had him playing zone coverages. He's a press and man to man corner. Explains why he got sometimes by 5 yds or more. In the wrong spot.

• Sympathy 1

18 minutes ago, Jets723 said:

Im thinking they have been in contact with Kalil for a while now.  If he looked out of shape I doubt they would give him decent money to come back no matter how desperate they were.  I have a feeling Douglas has been looking at Kalil since he got hired

Found this quote to support that:

Douglas spent nearly two months trying to convince a player who seemingly had no interest in returning to the NFL to play for his team.

Also found this which is encouraging:

A season after Wesley Johnson allowed two sacks in 2017, Spencer Long gave up 3.5 sacks before being replaced by Jonotthan Harrison in 2018. Meanwhile, Kalil allowed only one sack last season and only five over the past three.

With all of Kalil’s experience comes intellect; he only committed five penalties over the past three seasons. Meanwhile, Harrison and Long combined for 10 penalties in 2018 alone.

1 minute ago, genot said:

Neither do i. Same people who are bashing Mac on a continuous basis are getting hard ons waiting for the season to start, anticipating a big jump in performance with a team that was built entirely by the guy who got canned. TJ looked lost. They had him playing zone coverages. He's a press and man to man corner. Explains why he got sometimes by 5 yds or more. In the wrong spot.

Yeah look  I had no problem replacing him with Douglas, I just wanted them to do it after the season ended when every other team does it that way.  Although I find it funny that fans are pumped for the moves we make but act like Macc had nothing to do with it lol.  Like I said you have to give credit for the good moves despite the bad moves he made.  I just try to be objective

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, chrisfaceoff said:

I just want to say, 10 pages and over 300 replies about a center acquisition.  

I seriously love this forum and how active it is with so many dedicated people.

Shout out all of us!

Sometimes I go to other boards to check out their opinions, and what I tend to find is sometimes there hasn’t been a post in days, even though they are the first ones to pop up on google. This is a great forum. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, Drums said:

Sometimes I go to other boards to check out their opinions, and what I tend to find is sometimes there hasn’t been a post in days, even though they are the first ones to pop up on google. This is a great forum. 

wow.  days w/o arguing over Baker's greatness or whether Eli belongs in the HOF?  that's just crazy talk!!