Ryan Kalil coming out of retirement!

Look,  I'm all for this....I guess.  I think we're so brainwashed into thinking that Center was going to be a complete dumpster fire, that signing an older, injury prone player out of retirement sounds like a great idea.

But the concept that Harrison was going to be a complete dumpster fire was totally overblown.

You know those last four games of the season that everyone was so hyped about Darnold's performance in?

Harrison was the center for 100% of those offensive snaps.

• Thumb Down 1

4 hours ago, Paradis said:

credit where credit is due -- this gets a Spock Eyebrow... not your typical SOJ move to pull this off. Joe Douglas making an impression.  

Ya have to wonder just how Douglas pulled this off. Was he calling the guy and pestering him to come out of retirement for the last few weeks or something?  lol  WTF?  

How ever it happened it really does say something about Douglas' ability to get things done that no one would think realistic. This is really insane news. Even if its just as insurance behind Harrison it's a great move. GREAT MOVE!!! 

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, IndianaJet said:

Look,  I'm all for this....I guess.  I think we're so brainwashed into thinking that Center was going to be a complete dumpster fire, that signing an older, injury prone player out of retirement sounds like a great idea.

But the concept that Harrison was going to be a complete dumpster fire was totally overblown.

You know those last four games of the season that everyone was so hyped about Darnold's performance in?

Have you watched any film of Darnold during that time?  Harrison had his struggles. A lot of those great plays by Darnold were because he was running around for his life.  

That said, I like Harrison and his potential under Pollack and Frazier, but this a solid insurance move so the position isn't just handed to Harrison at worst. Competition is always a good idea. no ? 

• Upvote 4

4 minutes ago, IndianaJet said:

Goes to show how good Sam is.  

Harrison, while an improvement over Long, was still one of the lowest rated Centers.  Even if Kalil is average physically, that's a huge upgrade.  Then factor in Kalil's experience and knowledge in reading Ds and calling protections to help Sam.  

This move dramatically improves our weakest spot.  And now we have depth at Center.

Imagine if this move wasn't made, and then Harrison went down for a few games.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Mike135 said:

I think we make this move regardless of being in “win now” mode, if Douglas adds Trent Williams or a starting level CB then I’d say we’re definitely in win now mode though. Can’t wait for the season 

• Upvote 3

20 minutes ago, IndianaJet said:

Come on man.......

I mean no disrespect, you are obviously entitled to your opinion, but how in the world can you justify thinking that the 30th ranked player at his position C, is OK? If you have a chance to upgrade you do so, Period.

The reason why Harrison was remotely passable the last four games that you mention had everything to do with Darnold and his exceptional abilities, not the OL somehow magially becoming spectacular.  How do we know?  

Because when Josh McCown was under center, when Sam was hurt, Harrison and Co, didn't look that great.  Put simply, The Offense STUNK!!

In those four games, Sam was making unscripted and off platform throws in the main, and that can hardly be credited to Harrison, unless you are counting Harrison's man pushing him around and forcing Darnold to run for his life!

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, SR24 said:

I think we make this move regardless of being in “win now” mode, if Douglas adds Trent Williams or a starting level CB then I’d say we’re definitely in win now mode though. Can’t wait for the season 

We have young talented QB in his rookie deal. Should be in win now mode for the entirety of that deal. The time is now!!

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Charlie Brown said:

Ryan Kalil signing proves...

OR that the Jets know what they have in Sam and want to protect him as best as possible, despite Macs incompetence and regardless of outcomes. $8-9m to protect the franchise? Yes.

Kalil signing tells me Sam came into camp looking like the real deal, Moreso than it being about plans to make the playoffs

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

IMO, this is a VERY risky move.... The Jets are going with a rather long in the tooth veteran that's been unable to stay for the last two years. I doubt very seriously we get Ryan Kalil from say 2010? He's a very good player if he can stay healthy and actually help protect Sammy all season.

With that said, I love the move by Douglas. I can guarantee you Mac would have gone into the season living or dying by Harrison. The cap hit I would imagine is all this season so there won't be any dead money in 2020. 

A GM like this is exactly what I've been clamoring for. I can't stand incompetent idiots that know their team has a gaping hole and yet they still choose to go into the season with it. Like Tanny going into the 2007 season with f*cking Adrian Clarke at Guard. It was so obvious to me as a fan that the team was going to suck. Sure enough they went 4-12.

So I love the effort. Honestly, I'd be upset if it had been Joe Douglas that completely ignored Center in the draft in favor of taking a huge risk in Ryan Kalil. But Douglas' hands have to be pretty much tied this late. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

2 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

OR that the Jets know what they have in Sam and want to protect him as best as possible, despite Macs incompetence and regardless of outcomes. $8-9m to protect the franchise? Yes.

Kalil signing tells me Sam came into camp looking like the real deal, Moreso than it being about plans to make the playoffs

Agreed. They did this so Sam may win  a lot this year but mostly so he’ll live to play another season. The fumbly bumbly shit that too place his rookie year was criminal. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

Zero risk (aside from limiting rollover cap space next year) for a potential major reward. Don’t see how anyone can find any fault with this move. Even average center play is a massive upgrade over what we’ve had at the position the past few years.

Just the help he’ll provide Darnold in setting protections and identifying coverages alone makes this more than worth it. The bonus is it is also a huge help in maximizing the return on the Bell investment.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

13 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Dear Living God if this is even remotely true let what you say be true!!!!!!!

Image result for prayer gif

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, IndianaJet said:

Lol come on man,

You are telling me you have no faith in a man who has played the position, failed but fought like hell to be a scout(handing out resumes), built his way up to get a GM position and on the way collected 3 super bowl rings and learned from a hall of fame GM and up coming GM in Philly. 

It looks just like what it is. He came in, saw Harrison for what he is, average at best, and made a risk move where he immediately upgrades the center position pending a physical with 8 million a year with a team who still has a lot of cap room. 

This front office is stacked. Not sure how you can sit back and knock any move they make. I wouldn’t even be shocked if Tom Compton beats out Winters and we cut him for a cap saving of 6.5 million. 

Its not a dumpster fire but if you think Harrison is better then this older injury prone vet, and Douglas and this FO didn’t do any homework before making his first real bit move then that is a dumpster fire. 

Put Harrison against any other 31 starting centers and I bet he is the least experienced or talented. 

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, NYJ1 said:

IMO, this is a VERY risky move.... The Jets are going with a rather long in the tooth veteran that's been unable to stay for the last two years.

Honestly, I'd be upset if it had been Joe Douglas that completely ignored Center in the draft in favor of taking a huge risk in Ryan Kalil.

Sorry if I’m missing it, but what exactly is the risk? It’s a one year deal. If he gets injured, we’re in exactly the same spot we were in before the signing.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 2

5 hours ago, PepPep said:

Kind of a bummer for Harrison who has been working so hard to prove everyone wrong that he can be a solid starting C in the NFL. Came in in fantastic shape and has gotten nothing but praise so far. Now you have a retired 34 yr old who has never played for the Jets coming in and taking his spot without working earning it. 

Having said that, Kalil is probably still an upgrade, so I'm down with that. And he has a history of injuries so Harrison may end up having to step in eventually. 

Good news all around as far as the fans are concerned. 

Harrison can learn a sh*t-load from Kalil...ain't like Harrison has a lot of mentors during his stay with the NYJ.

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

57 minutes ago, NYJ1 said:

IMO, this is a VERY risky move.... The Jets are going with a rather long in the tooth veteran that's been unable to stay for the last two years. I doubt very seriously we get Ryan Kalil from say 2010? He's a very good player if he can stay healthy and actually help protect Sammy all season.

With that said, I love the move by Douglas. I can guarantee you Mac would have gone into the season living or dying by Harrison. The cap hit I would imagine is all this season so there won't be any dead money in 2020. 

A GM like this is exactly what I've been clamoring for. I can't stand incompetent idiots that know their team has a gaping hole and yet they still choose to go into the season with it. Like Tanny going into the 2007 season with f*cking Adrian Clarke at Guard. It was so obvious to me as a fan that the team was going to suck. Sure enough they went 4-12.

So I love the effort. Honestly, I'd be upset if it had been Joe Douglas that completely ignored Center in the draft in favor of taking a huge risk in Ryan Kalil. But Douglas' hands have to be pretty much tied this late. 

He played all 16 games last year.

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

On 8/1/2019 at 5:46 PM, jetstream23 said:

It's this year's Cap.  We're already set and can afford it.  No future impact to the Salary Cap is my understanding.  This is a one-year bandaid....and a big one!  Joe gets his Center in the 2nd round of the 2020 Draft.

Not really true. Spending $8MM this year means there’s $8MM less to spend next year.

Still a worthwhile pickup. He’s not crazy expensive and it’ll be good to have a reliable center again (assuming he still is).

• Upvote 2

48 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

We still crapping on Jamal Adams? Good grief.

As for Kalil, kind of reminds me a bit of when we signed Alan Faneca, who was near the end of his career when he came to the Jets

remember when you spent like two years Chicken Littling about what a disaster it would be if we fired Maccagnan

• Haha 1

The contract is apparently incentive laden and dependent on him playing according to Don Lagreca.

I am so excited. These kinds of things just don't happen to us. Incredible how much can change in a couple of months. 

Now go get Trent! 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

6 hours ago, PepPep said:

Kind of a bummer for Harrison who has been working so hard to prove everyone wrong that he can be a solid starting C in the NFL. Came in in fantastic shape and has gotten nothing but praise so far. Now you have a retired 34 yr old who has never played for the Jets coming in and taking his spot without working earning it. 

Having said that, Kalil is probably still an upgrade, so I'm down with that. And he has a history of injuries so Harrison may end up having to step in eventually. 

Good news all around as far as the fans are concerned. 

Could be it has something to do with mentoring Harrison as well as providing experienced depth. I might not be so surprised to see Kalil not start, but be the first guy off the bench in case one of the currently penciled in guards or Harrison gets nicked.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Bungaman said:

Could be it has something to do with mentoring Harrison as well as providing experienced depth. I might not be so surprised to see Kalil not start, but be the first guy off the bench in case one of the currently penciled in guards or Harrison gets nicked.

$8,400,000.00 

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Not really true. Spending $8MM this year means there’s $8MM less to spend next year.

How is it $8 million less to spend next year. 

There is no cap or dead money ramifications. 

So unless you are saying because we spent a dollars this year we won’t have that exact dollar to spend next year and $$ are limited, it’s not true. 

We can spend whatever we want to next year up to the cap.

The Johnson’s have never been shy about spending money, they aren’t going to tell Douglas next year his pool of $$ is $8 million less NEXT year because of what he spent this year.

They have unlimited funds limited only by the cap (and future considerations).

2 hours ago, IndianaJet said:

He didnt grade out well last year   Obviously the Jets decided that Harrison wasn’t playing to the level they wanted.  Bringing Kalil in improves center play as well as backup depth and versatility