O-Line, change in scheme?

Sammybighead

7 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

There’s definitely a communication breakdown between the protection called and the protection enacted. Yes, Winters, Beachum, Kalil have been bad but the problem is deeper than just individual suckage.

This is definitely true. They are bad, but I don;'t think they are this bad.

• Upvote 2

41 minutes ago, Maxman said:

Zone blocking isn't going anywhere. I think the two problems are 1) Khalil has been terrible and overmatched and 2) On any given play Winters or Beachum seems to get physically beat.

Doesn't make it a lot of fun but they have to change something, in a hurry.

Beachum and Winters should be ashamed of themselves. People can stroke on Myles Garrett all they want to but I'm not. Beachum has almost 40 lbs over Garrett and couldn't even hold his ground for 3-4 secs. No way in hell I'm gonna let a dude 35-40 lbs lighter than me punk me all over the field. Brian Winters is just hot dumpster juice. I just don't think either one cares just as long as the direct deposits goes through. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

1 hour ago, STLuLu said:

Beachum and Winters should be ashamed of themselves. People can stroke on Myles Garrett all they want to but I'm not. Beachum has almost 40 lbs over Garrett and couldn't even hold his ground for 3-4 secs. No way in hell I'm gonna let a dude 35-40 lbs lighter than me punk me all over the field. Brian Winters is just hot dumpster juice. I just don't think either one cares just as long as the direct deposits goes through. 

Neither will be Jets in 2020. There will be major emphasise placed on the Oline.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

8 hours ago, kdels62 said:

There’s definitely a communication breakdown between the protection called and the protection enacted. Yes, Winters, Beachum, Kalil have been bad but the problem is deeper than just individual suckage.

Pretty much this is our only hope.  These guys did not work together all summer; first game action as a unit is against two aggressive defenses.  Our best hope is that they figure out how to play as a unit and can be average.  Maybe we can swap out Winters or Kalil for Harrison if needed, but wholesale changes/benchings will just start the cycle over again of learning to play as a unit. 

• Upvote 3

I think they are individually that terrible, "they are what the record says" bottom 5 OL in terms of ability, age, draft position, etc...  absolute crime this was not addressed in the draft but mac was fired so we move on...

To be fair, they just played two of the top 5 DL's in the NFL and they have not worked together that much so could get better with experience and have a chance to gel vs the weaker schedule in second half - we can hope

10 hours ago, kdels62 said:

Beachum was thrown around all game, Kalil should re-retire.... 

A LOT of this is scheme and play-calling. Some of this is Defensive talent on the other side. The Jets just played two teams with some really talented D-linemen.  Some of it is lack of talent on the Jets O-line. 

But without knowing the exact scheme and X's and O's, I could clearly see that Beachem was getting owned by Myles G. and Gase did nothing to help him, no chip blocks, did not roll the QB out to the right or move the pocket. The nothing thing he did was call predictable screens and dump offs. A lot of this falls onto Gase IMHO for not adjusting. 

• Upvote 3

10 hours ago, STLuLu said:

yeah that's it.  they suck because they don't care. if only they cared more they would be hall of famers.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, tdoublee said:

I want to see Harrison start somewhere this week, either at center or guard. Dude was playing solid until he was benched for Khalil. Harrison has to better than Winters or Khalil at this point. They look turrible.

I am SO TIRED of Brian Winters! After every sh*tty season this guy has there's always OH HE WAS INJURED.

Well sit him the f*ck down on the bench & get a healthy guy in there! 

• Upvote 1

I hate mac so much. What's Aboushi doing nowadays. He at least added dept. He's better than Qvale. We need to draft only O-line with the next 5 picks next year. No more D-line in the next draft. Only CB and pass rushing DE/OLB.

Please get rid of Winters, Kalil, and Beachum Jr. Bench them. It looked to me in the browns game. They didn't know what they were doing? Is it coaching or players not caring? Play those that will work hard, and play hard to the last whistle. Not just collect paychecks and checkout when they want to.

12 minutes ago, EdReed22 said:

I hate mac so much. What's Aboushi doing nowadays. He at least added dept. He's better than Qvale.

Amazingly, he's still in the league.  He started 6 games for the Cardinals at RG last year and 8 games at RG for the Seahawks in 2017.  He's now with the Lions as a backup.  

6 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Amazingly, he's still in the league.  He started 6 games for the Cardinals at RG last year and 8 games at RG for the Seahawks in 2017.  He's now with the Lions as a backup.  

He should be starting in place of Winters here. He's worked very hard to survive in this league. People probably think you and I hate Jamal Adams. I am very old school. I loved the way Barry Sanders played. Score a TD and hand it off. I could even handle Ocho Cinco and his dances. That guy took his team on his back. Adams, Williams and those 1st D picks on Defense over the past 8 years haven't don't jack.

• Upvote 1

On 9/18/2019 at 1:41 AM, BurnleyJet said:

Neither will be Jets in 2020. There will be major emphasise placed on the Oline.

Maybe. Beachum, Shell, and Kalil are all UFAs after the season.

Winters/Osemele/Harrison become UFAs the year after that.

I half expect Winters to return only because there are already 3 other OL positions that are must replace/re-sign as it is, and GMs don't tend to head into the draft with any outright holes on the OL (unless maybe they pick so high up and know for sure which player they're taking. So unless he signs/trades for 4 newcomer veterans in March, and/or only signs 3 plus he pencils in Harrison as a real starting option if the draft doesn't go just so, there's a good chance we'll be painted in a corner with more meh. 

This is the result of years of ignoring the position in the draft just because someone else was always technically (even if insignificantly) higher on you-know-who's draft board (supremely flawed as it was in its own right) every time it was our turn to pick.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

6 hours ago, Sammybighead said:

I’m drafting 5 straight oline in 2020 draft if I’m joe d. I get we need cb, pass rusher and wr, but we can’t sacrifice another year of Sam behind this crap line

I did this in Madden and it worked wonders!

All kidding aside, it has to be a major focus, and the moves Douglas made this offseason give me a lot of hope that he damn well knows it. 

Andrew Thomas, OT out of Georgia seems to be the biggest prize... He could go top 5. But there are others with 1/2nd round projections too...

Walker Little, OT Stanford, Yasir Durant, OT Missouri, Trey Smith, OT Tennessee, Solomon Kindley, G, Stanford.

CB and DE are again going to be the flashy positions that show up as obvious weaknesses for the Jets... But they have to rebuild that line first, in my opinion. 

15 minutes ago, JiF said:

Here's what I dont get;

Every single player on the offensive line has been a part of a top 10 offense except Shell (who apparently has been the best player on the OL).  Why are they so bad here?

Perhaps the sum of the parts are >>>> the whole in this case?

Also, Osemele might be toast.